“So much more than just chicken!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 321 restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: Peruvian
Washington, Pennsylvania
“So much more than just chicken!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

I cannot say enough good things about this place. A co-worker of mine is from Peru and he took me one day for a working lunch to this hole-in-the-wall hidden gem. The rotisserie chicken smelled heavenly, but as I am not one for chicken on a bone but always up to try new foods, I was greatly surprised to find a large menu of Peruvian favorites. I ordered the Lomo Saltado (steak with onions, peppers, tomatoes, rice and french fries) and have never looked back. He ordered the same and assured me that it was as good as anything his family makes at home! They offer a variety of sides and they don't skimp on the portions. The fried plantains are one of my favorites and they are always fried just right to the point of caramelization. The salchipapas (cut up hot dogs and french fries) is a Peruvian street food that is just comforting. Another friend of mine is married to a Peruvian and prides herself on her Huacaina sauce (a yellow sauce made with peppers and queso blanco) and she even gave theirs her stamp of approval (but of course it's not as good as hers :) This sauce is usually served over potatoes and although it is not on their menu they were happy to make it for us. I moved away from Frederick a few years ago, but I have driven hours to go back and to eat at Sardi's.

• Visited May 2013

100% Recommend
Frederick, Maryland
“What a secret!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Wow, this place is amazing! I was in Frederick on an extended business trip. We were near the end of our stay when a collegue took us there for lunch. The aroma of the food is sooo good that you can hardly wait to taste the food...and it does not disappoint! We went one day and I ordered the pork chop lunch special, others in our party ordered a variety of other dishes (gyros,chicken), all were very pleased. Some of the luch special came with a drink and it was still under $10.00. One collegue ordered the plantain. We had all had it before but were blown away by it's remarkable taste! Without exception, WE ALL walked out with an order of plantain! The food was sooo good that we ALL went back to Sardis again...solo. When in Frederick or parts nearby, do not pass on an opportunity to check this place out. Although the place was packed during lunch, I'm so sure it's a secret, because if more people knew about it, there would be standing room only! I (and my collegues) highly recommend it.

• Visited June 2013
Portales
“Peruvian chicken? Yes, thank you, please more.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

I admit I mostly ate cerviche or other meats in Peru last summer so my authenticity meter may be suspect. There is nothing suspect about the chicken here. It is awesome, unique in flavor and spice, perfectly cooked, tender, juicy, and generous. They don't skimp on the sides, either, which are as expertly prepared as the chicken. Loved the yucca and yes they have Inca Kola (the national soft drink). It's tucked away in a strip behind another strip. Inside is nicer than what you might expect but not fancy by any means. I hope to go back to Peru now and eat chicken there but til then I will lots of their chicken.

• Visited May 2013
New Market, Maryland
“Mmmmm Peruvian chicken.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Finally there is a Peruvian chicken place in Frederick! Everything is on point, chicken is moist and flavorful. Plantains taste amazing, and the sauce! Don't forget the sauce!

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ladysmith, Virginia, United States
“Good Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

This is the best food I have eaten out in a long time and worth the money and the wait. The environment is a little noisey,but what do you expect with a large lunch crowd. Everyone have there own conversation going on along with the music.

• Visited February 2013