“Not completely awful” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dickerson, Maryland
“Not completely awful”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

A friend of mine recommended this place based on their craft beer selection, which is quite good. Otherwise, it seems like a chain restaurant although it doesn't appear to be one based on the information I've seen. The atmosphere is quite loud and if you are seated in the vicinity of the bar you can watch the x-games if you want. The bread is entirely taste-free, but a good vehicle for a bit of honey flavored butter if you're into that. My wife had the special, a grilled grouper, and found it too salty. I had the pork chop, which wasn't offensive, but was a bit bland. The Caesar salad was missing something, probably the anchovies or Worcestershire sauce, and included sun-dried tomatoes, which didn't quite replace the expected flavor. We gave it a chance; it might be worth it if you like that type of atmosphere.

Visited May 2013

PA
“Great burgers, unique offerings, nothing but craft beers!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

This restaurant is new in the area and we tried it for lunch. A co- worker recommended the burger and my lunch mate tried it. It was cooked to order, flavorful/seasoned well, and very well proportioned. I chose the Evil Jungle steak salad, which was cooked to my order of med rare. It is a salad that is composed of many varied flavors, but if you likeThai, chances are you will enjoy the salad. It was deceptively filling.We were both impressed with the beer selection, which had NO big name domestics like Bud or Coors. Very local-centric and supportive of breweries in the area, which we appreciate. Food prices were reasonable and drinks seemed well priced during happy hour daily. Being a new restaurant to the area, I was also impressed that they chose to participate in Frederick Beer Week. I wold recommend the restaurant to anyone who likes innovative, fresh food and well chosen micro brews. The interior decor is soothing, organic, and as a craftsman-style to it. Nice! There is also a big bar area, so if they are busy at dinner, I would not hesitate to have a seat at the bar and eat there.

• Visited May 2013
New Market, Maryland
“Unexpected surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

My wife were out running errands last week when we thought we would check out the newly expanded Market Square. We were getting hungry so when we found a new place we were not familiar with, Madrones, we thought we would give it a try. What we found was a very comfortable and casual location. The hostesses were very friendly and after a short wait, were taken to our table. The dinning area was very appealing and and a charming atmosphere. The food and drinks were delicious. The prices were a bit higher than normal casual dining but the atmosphere and food quality made it worth it. We will be going back regularly.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A casual dinner spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I really like this place and I think it gives Bonefish a run for it's money where seafood is concerned. It was a bit of a rough start at first when the first couple times we went, they had a ton of hostesses, but no order. Plus, our first waitress completely forgot to put our appetizer order in, so we never got our crab dip. However, the manager more than made up for it by offering us a voucher for a free appetizer when we come back next time.

I have actually been here three times, so I can comment on quite a few entrees. I have had the twelve layer dip, the crab dip, and the spinach dip. The twelve layer dip was pitiful for a table of four and they served it in a sad little soup bowl. We all looked at each other when it arrived, obviously all thinking, is this a joke? With a name like twelve layer dip I was expecting something a little more epic than this. The crab dip is basically cream of crab soup (served in a soup bowl and all), it is a huge amount of dip and I would say pass on this, it is just way too much and the flavor is very run of the mill. Lastly, I have had the spinach dip, this is probably the best of the three i have had in taste, but I would still skip it. It is served in a...surprise, soup bowl and again, it's huge and the taste is nothing new, Plus, the spinach dip is too much cream, so much so that they should really serve it with salsa, we ended up asking for hot sauce.

I got the smoked salmon appetizer as my entree the first time I went and it was delicious. I wanted a no frills piece of salmon and this was the perfect item to order. The smoked flavor of the salmon was really great and not overpowering at all. The thin toast triangles served with the salmon are great because they are toasted to perfection. The chefs dressing they serve with this appetizer is good, but I don't liketo apply too much to such a nice piece of salmon, especially when the taste stands on it's own.

The second time I went I has the smoked salmon salad. This salad was very very good. Our waiter was very helpful in the fact that when I ordered this he said, "Just to inform you we do wait till the salmon cools down a bit to place it on the salad so the heat does not wilt the greens". I thought that was very thoughtful that he told me that and also that they take the time to time the placement of the salmon on the salad, so you don't end up with wilted greens in your salad. All the components of this salad worked well and when you build the perfect bite, with the walnut, a couple currants, the perfect tang of the balsamic onions, and the smoked salmon that they do so well, it is just great.

As for the other diners I was with I did take nibbles of their meals, the steamed veggies are perfect, the grilled portabello and warm goat cheese pasta dish is really good, the sun dried tomatoes in it paired with the caramelized onions, zuchini and portabello mushroom all work so well together. The mashed potatoes have the the red skins in them (yum!). My dad raves about the baked stuffed shrimp and the seafood explosion, he usually alternates between the two. the beer selection is definitely vast, my brother was excited to see they have small craft warning.

I have never had room left for dessert, so I cannot comment on that.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Welcoming Atmosphere, Unique Food and Drink Selections, Good Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

This is not a chain restaurant, so offerings are distinct. Very broad selection of drinks, including specialty beers. Prices are a tad on the high side, but you get what you pay for. I had the rockfish seafood daily special and my wife had filet mignon. Both were excellent. Side dishes were excellent, as well. Server, Rachel, was very personable and attentive. We will definitely make this one of our once or twice per month outings.