“Seek it out. It's worth it.” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Greek, Lebanese, Turkish
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Bethesda, Maryland
“Seek it out. It's worth it.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

While on mid-week day trip to Frederick, MD, my husband and I decided to try Ayse, a Turkish restaurant with good online reviews, including on Trip Advisor. We were so glad we did. It was the end of the lunch hour and just emptying out but there were still several tables of happily chatting customers to liven up the room. Ayse specializes in small plates but we decided on the $9.95 prix fixe lunch for simplicity's sake. There is a choice of several entrees, several salads, and a choice between a drink (non-alcoholic) or cookies. We both chose the standard but very good chicken kabob with rice and diverged from there. I had an absolutely delicious beet salad, so refreshing and unusual, while my husband was quite happy with his Caesar. The iced tea that I ordered was exceptional. So often this drink is just routine. Here it is delicious. The cookies my husband chose were also delicious. Powdered and crunchy, they reminded me of Mexican wedding cookies but were a Turkish version and very fresh. In fact everything was fresh. The decor was simple with Turkish touches: a row of kilim pillows lining a banquette, some brass pieces, all white tablecloths. The staff were warm, attentive and very knowledgeable. The bar and outdoor area were not open at the time we were there. Apparently there is a Sunday brunch worth visiting. We hope to do Ayse again.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

80% Recommend
Ashburn, Virginia
“Our new favorite place to dine in Frederick”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Authentic middle eastern food; Turkish influence. Appetizers, small plates were wonderfully prepared - tasty, nice presentation. We ordered four small plates for two of us and we devoured every morsel. This time, we ordered only vegetarian dishes. Our challenge next time evil be to decide what to try next--- or repeat what we already enjoyed.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Maryland
“What a delight!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

My friend and I decided to give this restaurant a try during a day of shopping in downtown Frederick. What a find! The room is lovely and the service was outstanding. But the food!!! The small plates were perfectly portioned so that we could taste and enjoy four different selections. Each was delicious, with interesting, complex flavors. Our only "complaint" is that there were so many, many choices to make. We finished with Turkish coffee and shared walnut cake. If only I lived closer..... But this will definitely be a "go to" restaurant the next time I am in Frederick.

• Visited November 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Delicious Mediterranean Food in a Pretty Setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Recently visited a second time and enjoyed even more than the first. Very pretty room, excellent choices and so many of them. This time the service was really good, the first time very slow. I would love to return in spring to sit outside on the patio. There were six of us and we each ordered two dishes and had food leftover. Everything we had was delicious. My only complaint this visit was that they had a sax player (brunch) who played well but it was too loud. Very very nice experience, and I will return. You can't get tired of this menu as it is so large and varied!

• Visited September 2013
“Outstanding Lunch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Visited this wonderful restaurant again for lunch. Awesome specials and delicious food. My wife and I just love this place.

• Visited September 2013