“Love the meze” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Love the meze”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

Road trip took us to Ayse with a last minute reservation on Open Table for early Saturday night. Ate too much--brussel sprouts, cigars, mushrooms, zucchini fritters, shrimp, skewers of lamb and chicken. Took home dessert! Pretty much everything was delicious and well presented. Very small tables require lots of staff to clear plates; and while the wait staff encourages us to order dishes in sequence instead of all at once, it slows the service when the restaurant is busy (as it is on a Saturday night). We've eaten at Jaleo in Bethesda many times (also small plates) but the tables are larger and the order of service is more efficient so the service just works better. Would have loved to sit outside if the weather was warmer--very well spaced tables and it wouldn't be as loud as it is inside when the restaurant is full because there is no sound absorbing material.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

80% Recommend
“From a vegetarian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I often patron Mediterranean restaurants because I can find more than once menu item I can eat. The spinach pie, zucchini fritters, and falafel were awesome. It was a little odd that every single dessert (maybe besides a fruit sorbet) had nuts in them. As someone with a severe nut allergy, I was exempt from an entire course. Not ALL Greek desserts have walnuts or almonds.

The server was very nice, but he was so busy that he forgot to enter a few things I ordered. Really wasn't a big deal. I'll definitely go back when I'm in Frederick.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Woodboro Maryland
“Very nice experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

AYSE, pronounced “Eye-ShĀ”. This restaurant is new in town and what a nice addition it is to our already eclectic assemblage of good dinning. We recommend this restaurant for a variety of reasons.
• A strong emphasis on the Mediterranean theme, not just a slight undertone. The wine list is arranged by region, Lebanese, Greek, Turkish, etc. Dinning here is like a tour of the Mediterranean itself.
• The wait staff has a genuine interest in the food. Very knowledgeable and helpful in explaining the menu. Good at making recommendations. Very Professional!
• The Food is Delicious! I highly recommend the Brussels sprouts. Best I’ve ever had. We also had the zucchini cakes. Absolutely divine. I could eat a dozen of them for dinner and die with a smile on my face. My Wife had the spanakopita and I tried the Mossaka (sp?). Both dishes were tasty. It is obvious that the cook and his team are striving for perfection in the kitchen.
• Ambiance is nice. Busy and Bustling. If you are looking for a quiet restaurant for romance. This may not be the best place. If you want good food at a reasonable price. Here it is!
• Try the flaming cheese dish. Yumm-O
• While eating, on a busy Friday night, even the Manager came over to ask how things were going. He took some plates and thanked us for trying the restaurant. A nice touch. I rarely have the manager talk to us with no reason at all.
Overall, a great experience. We can’t wait to go back.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Mount Airy, Maryland
“Opa!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Excellent food, great menu of small plates to share, unique wines from Turkey, Israel, Greece etc...Service was spot on. This place is friendly, fast and fun. Many vegetarian options. You have to try the roasted brussel sprouts and the scallops. There is a large outdoor courtyard that was not open due to the cold but should be great in Spring and Summer. Will return often. Have to try the flaming cheese dish everyone else seemed to order. The server sets the plate alight as he reaches your table and the flames shoot two feet into the air as the entire staff shouts Opa!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Frederick, Maryland
“Food good- but beware of credit card billing errors!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

My review is not about the food but about extremely bad customer service regarding their mishandling of credit card charges.
In October I dined with a friend, we each paid using credits cards. The charge appeared on my credit card statement in October, then again in November and yet a third time in December!
An in-person visit to a very nervous manager said they had a "credit card crash" -whatever that means - in October. He assured me another charge won't appear in January- we will see.
My dining partner just had a charge appear on her statement in January.
We have filed complaints against this establishment with our credit card institutions.
If you eat here DO NOT use a credit card!

Visited October 2012