“Stayed for a week at TPS in Frederick MD” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #2 of 22 Hotels in Frederick
akron, oh
“Stayed for a week at TPS in Frederick MD”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

The front desk: looks like a make shift desk, and literally surprised me upon my arrival...it looked out of place...but the staff is nice.

The room: Layout is odd in the efficiency, and I would not recommend this type of room. This was the only type of room available for my business cost or I would've chosed something different. There is a bed, couch, desk with chair, and a TV on a stand all in 1 room. What I don't understand is why there is a desk in the room? Does anyone even work at a desk anymore with wireless? I would rather have a place to sit down and eat (which there is none), that a desk I will not use. I think this was a major mistake of who designed the layout of the rooms. I am here on business, and do not use the desk, but I have eaten on the bed several times??? No small dinette? I mean, with a kitchenette in the room, they are assuming you will cook...right??? and eat???? Anyway, lets move onto the bed. Now, I am not the only person staying at this hotel in my business group, and I did ask several of their opinions. No women and men both had different opinions of the elements of the room, but both agreed that the bed is awful! It is litterlly as hard as a rock, and I actually sleep on top of the comforter to add extra cushion. If marriott wants to cheap out on front desk, breakfast.....ok....but please don't cheap out on most importand feature of room..the BED.

Bathroom: I noticed that another lady commented that she could't see to put on makeup, and my conclusion is that a man designed this bathroom for business men...but hey, I'm on business too. I am 5'1'' and I did have a hard time washing my face in the sink...it's high, and I also had a difficult time seeing to put on makeup. I was also NEVER able to take a hot shower. Note to user...let the shower run for about 15-20 minutes to warm up before getting in, and for my fellow women...don't attempt to shave your legs in this shower....once again, designed for a Man. A women wouldn't have cheaply put in a shower and no bath. ( Oh, but there are granite counter tops....like that matters).

The kitchenette: I didn't use it, because there are so many excellent places to get takeout, etc in the area, and in walking distance.

The fitness room: Was Excellent! This was the most impressive part of this hotel, best I have ever seen, and the pool looked nice as well.

Breakfast: This is a joke. They supply green bananas and waxy apples at all times, and I don't see anyone eating them. I do recommend taking some bananas up to your room at the beginning of your stay to allow them to ripen. Cereal, instant oatmeal, boiled eggs, and toast. it really doesn't sound bad on paper, but when you are hungry in the morning, it really is a downer. You can tell that marriott is really trying to squeeze the pennies on this one. The coffee is okay.

Overall, I am disappointed in Marriott for going cheep on the mattress, breakfast, and layout of the efficiency. Also, I little disappointed, they didn't expect women to travel on business. I would give a 3 star due to the fitness room, but my back hurts, so a 2 it is.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
New Oxford, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Newer hotel with great customer service. Small kitchenettes and breakfast in the mornings. The hotel is close to 270 so it has easy access and the rooms are roomy so the double rooms are big enough for 2 or even a family of 4. Nice place. Cool fire pit and grill area.

• Stayed January 2013
Syracuse, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Stayed here in January 2013 for 5 nights in a studio. Still has that new hotel smell :)

The staff was very kind. The front desk staff offered to print me directions to anywhere I needed to go. It seems like I got full housekeeping service daily, even though they said I will only get it one day, and "freshening up every other day" (someone made up my room in some form or fashion daily). The room was modern, clean and spacious for one person (if my boyfriend came with me, it may have been cramped). For the business traveler, they have a large workstation. The only grip with the room was that the couch and the bed faced each other with the tv off to the side, so I had to lay length wise on the couch or on my side on the bed to see the tv - weird. Also, they have a couple of drawers and some shelves, but no dresser? That's strange.

If you are a hot breakfast person, this is not the place for you!!! If you can make do with a coffee and a bagel, this is good enough! I have to be back in Frederick at least four more times this year for business, and three out of those four times, I will be staying here!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Virginia Beach, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

This is a new hotel and is very clean and modern. First let me say that the front desk staff were always polite and smiling. Decent parking lighting for a woman traveling alone to feel safe.

Breakfast left a little to be desired. I have stayed at other Marriott properties that offered a bit more than a waffle toaster and standard dry continental fare. It was decent, but left me wondering why I paid so much for this trip.

Pool- As a frequent business traveler I look forward to relaxing at the end of a long day in a nice pool. I was let down at the fact that there was maintenance going on and the pool would be closed for my entire stay. The front desk staff let me know that I could use any of the other Marriott Properties down the street, but why would I want to drive in the cold, wet, back to my hotel late at night. This was less than my idea of de-stressing.

The Room- Very nice room. Comfortable bed and bedding. Fluffy pillows. Desk with mobile desk piece for better work. The layout is appalling. I don't know who puts the television to the far left of the bed, but this was less than comfortable for late night television. No sleep timer????? The couch was at the opposite side of he room in a awkward position and not conducive to any kind of television enjoyment. Why is there no full length mirror on any door? Makes it hard for a traveler to do a final check before work.

Kitchen- Nice if I would have been here for more than 3 days!

Bathroom- Very nice. Clean, well lit. Nice large shower. The downfall- The high cabinet would be great if I were a 6 foot man, but as a badly sighted, short female, I found it difficult to lean over to apply my make-up and since it is the ONLY mirror in the room, was not the highlight of my trip standing on a suitcase to see my face. (Really random thing, the hot/cold gadget on the sink faucet was backward. Took me a minute to figure that one out.)

I'd stay here again, but I would see if there were a different layout and bring a step stool and an extra make-up mirror.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Silver Spring, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stayed here Thanksgiving night with our two kids - 2 & 5. We had booked a studio, but when we checked in, we couldn't really fit a rollaway in the same area as the pull out couch. I asked them if we could look at a one-bedroom room and they were very accommodating. The front desk woman empathized with our situation, talking about traveling when her kids were younger. She moved us into a one-bedroom without an upgrade charge.
The hotel is brand new so it's very clean. I've never stayed at a TownePlace - very useful to have a small kitchen area in the room. The bed is comfortable. The one-bedroom option is great for families - there's a door to close between the bedroom and the den where the kids sleep - they even have their own TV. My only issue is a design issue - the air-conditioner/heater is right by the bed, so it blows on the bed throughout the night. It was tough to find the right temperature. Breakfast is included - mostly continental options but they had bagels and toaster waffles, too.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to TownePlace Suites by Marriott Frederick? Share your experiences!