“Salad Lovers, Take Note” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: it is over 1 yr old you should have it
Boston
“Salad Lovers, Take Note”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

It can be hard to locate a generous, flavorful salad when you are on the road. My husband and I are always trying to find them. Mimi's Cafe was a nice surprise while we were traveling north on I-95 through VA. The salade Nicoise with grilled salmon and red wine vinagrette had a good sized, perfectly grilled filet on top of diverse greens, cherry tomatoes, perfectly blanched green beans, hard boiled eggs, and black olives, accompanied by a miniature baguette. My husband's mixed greens with walnuts and blue cheese actually went too far on the nuts and cheese and could have benefitted from an additional cup of greens. A rare complaint! Soda glasses are endlessly refilled and waitstaff is attentive. One tip: ask for your dressing on the side. Their tendency is to slightly overdress the salads. All in all, a salad lover's destination!

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Charlotte, North Carolina
“Astoundingly mediocre”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Astoundingly mediocre experience. It started with the hostess who was on the phone when we arrived. Continued to talk, no eye contact or acknowledgement that we were there. Pleasant enough after she hung up, with indifferent "follow me". Server was also pleasant enough and answered a couple of questions knowledgeably. We ordered 1 glass of wine, 2 non-alcoholic beverages, cup of soup, 2 entrees. I left the table to wash up. The waitperson returned to the table and asked my guest about his order. I returned to the table and a 2nd waitperson arrived to inform us that our server had lost our order, and he needed to retake my order. Huh? Our server couldn't remember 3 beverages and 3 food items? Soup arrived after a few minutes. After 2nd bite of soup, entrees arrived. Server immediately arrived and asked if everything was OK. We said it was fine. However, somehow my salmon was tasteless and the bed of lentils just tasted odd. Steak was pretty inedible. Fries were good, however. As we finished our entrees we realized that our 2 non-alcoholic drinks had never arrived. We asked for them and the check. Check had lower price for my wine.... a comp for messing up? No explanation. Overall, food was edible if uninspiring, service was prompt, but it was all done with total indifference from the crew.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New Windsor, Maryland
“Tres Bon”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Its time for my Sunday movie and its been damp and raining all week so I've been home to cook all week and welcome the chance to dine out after the flick. I hadn't given much thought as to where I wanted to go or what I wanted to eat. The movie was over and I just dodged the dampness to get to my car. I'm working my way out of the huge commerce center where the theater is located and there it is right in front of me Mimi's Cafe. Its on a pad in the huge parking lot and I clearly remember the first time I noticed it that I thought what an ideal location for a McDonalds. Seconds later I got to the other side of the building and there it was right next door Mickey D. I'm out of excuses to not eat at this place so today was the day.

Upon entry i noticed on the awning breakfast - lunch - dinner. The hostess greeted me, asked to be excused while she held an extended conversation with several staff members that were lurking around. When she finally showed me to my seat I opened the menu and figured out immediately that this was a French Cafe. Don't get me wrong I love breakfast at breakfast time but come dinner time I want a real meal. The menu I was looking at was all breakfast food. I headed back to excuse myself for not knowing it was a Breakfast all day place when the preoccupied hostess apologized and got me the DINNER MENU. Now that I had the correct menu the options that appealed to me were limited and I quickly whittled it down to three of which I grudgingly went with the safe Le Quatre which was the hamburger. Not only was it damp but it was chilly so I opted to drink coffee with my meal. The waitress was very good about keeping it full. The place was clean and well maintained save for the table next to mine that had not been bused before I got there nor had it been done before I left. I found that strange as they seemed to have more than enough help and other than a good sized private party in the back room the other areas were only about 1/3 full and the social club at the hostess stand persisted on and off all through out dinner.

My burger took a little longer than I anticipated and my waitress offered on one of my coffee refills to bring me a bread basket which I accepted. Turns out it was like a zucchini bread which was more like cake and it was fabulous. When my burger finally arrived it was indeed worth the wait. It was perfectly cooked to the medium rare that I requested. It came on toasted brioche with slices of avocado and bacon lettuce tomato red onion and their own sauce. This was not your ordinary hamburger but more of a meal unto itself. It came served with fries and was a perfect solution for what to do for dinner.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Pa
“Not very French!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We decided to meet at Mimi's for a. Breakfast with our son and his wife. We were very disappointed with the food and service. Our food came,after a long wait, barely warm. The waitress was too causal and did not know the menu. They were out if two selections we ordered so we had to choose again. When the The order finally came the waitress admitted that she dropped one fish so another had to be made.
It was not ago is experience. I doubt if we will return.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Camden, NY
“A chain with a French twist”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Greeting was very friendly. Our server was new but did a great job. She had somebody else's nametag which was humorous but meant did not remember her name. The menu has selections of many different styles not just French. Very pleasant atmosphere and good food. We would be back if are in the area again.

Visited September 2013