“Nice find in Frederick” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Family Meal is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #29 of 320 restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Newest restaurant by top chef, Bryan Voltaggio....a local sensation!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Nice find in Frederick”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Frederick always surprises me with its eclectic food and shops. I was with a group of women and asked a group of shoppers where we should go...they all said "Family Meal" quickly. we went.
interesting.
Absolutely bland decor. I suppose that was purposeful. Nice, clean lines. Restaurant is an old building that has been updated nicely. It is clean and modern. Let's say they were minimalist - focusing on the food.
The scenic view is the tire center across the street...but I understand they can't do anything about that....so I'd like to see something more interesting than a large, plain, brown wall.
The food was good. The portions were small. I had the crab soup and it was just adequate and a small bowl for $8.99. I also enjoyed the poutine for $5.99.
My friends had the meatloaf. Small portion with a dollop of mashed potatoes on top. ok
It was good. I'm undecided if I would go again.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

69% Recommend
Thurmont, Maryland
“Not What I Expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Having just recently dined @ Family Meal, it's not what I expected or had heard about. Nice place overall, but the atmosphere and décor didn't in my opinion stand out as a family spot. I myself found it rather too open and cold. As far as the food, different, but nothing I'd write home about. I had the fried chicken which I've heard people rave about and found it to be rather bland at best, the brussel sprouts with bacon on the other hand were very good as well as the biscuits. They have meatloaf on the menu, and that I would like to try. The service was very good, but it's expensive dining to say the least. To me it's more a couples restaurant, not a diner as it's been described by other reviewers.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Brighton, Michigan
“Great twist on everyday classics”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Sit the bar and enjoy a great meal an drink. My favorite app was the deviled eggs. The fried chicken is amazing. They take every day classic foods like meatloaf, chicken & waffles, burgers and eggs and add flavors you never have had before. We visit family in the area a few times a year and this will be on the list to go back to in the future.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Hackettstown NJ
“Cool place, ok service, cool take on foods”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

We stopped here on our way up 15 from VA to NJ. From the outside it looked very different and cool. When we went inside we felt the same way. Very opened eating area but reminded me of a diner in some ways. Our waitress was very nice but she did not come and check on us enough in my opinion. They had yummy sodas. :-) We had the duck fat French fries and the 3 sauces that came with them and they were very good! Then 2 of us had the biscuits and gravy with a egg my egg was a little under cooked i wanted over hard and I got over medium but I was ok with. The biscuits were delish but the gravy could have been a little more flavorful. The gravy had chunks of sausage the was good. The other 2 got the omelets with onions and goat cheese and both enjoyed them. Overall different just wish the service was a little better from our waitress.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Ijamsville, Maryland
“One of the Best Diners in America!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

I travel all over the country for work and love to eat at diners. This is one of the best in my opinion and lucky for me, its near where I live. First of all, this is a diner, with diner type food; not a cheaper version of Volt, which I think some people set their expectations to expect something similar. The food at this place is comfort type of food, with an upscale twist that you can't find anywhere else. Breakfast is outstanding here and brings me back at least twice a month. One of the dishes that I've eaten here is scrambled eggs over short ribs with a corn type patty, that is outstanding. Their egg sandwich, with chorizo sausage and honey mustard sauce on a croissant, as well as their french toast are outstanding. For lunch and dinner, the fried chicken and cheese burgers are outstanding; probably one of the best burgers I've had with comparable burgers at The Pub and BLT Burger, both in Las Vegas. Deserts are really good as well with their home made marshmallow topping that is a nice touch. The service is excellent here, with very personable, attentive young waiters and waitresses. Long story short, don't expect Volt, which is another outstanding place, but if you want some really good everyday diner food, with great service, you can't go wrong. This place is a gem.

• Visited October 2013