“Fun - family friendly dining, a unique experience!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Family Meal is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #29 of 322 Restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Chef Bryan Voltaggio's modern American diner offers affordable all-day meals in a former Frederick car dealership transformed by clever design and raw, natural materials into an open, airy space, with a long counter fronting an open kitchen; its menu elevates the comfort-food canon, while adult beverages include boozy milkshakes as well as wine, beer and cocktails. Signature dishes include Fried Chicken with Buttermilk Biscuits, Meatloaf with Mushroom Gravy and Duck Fat Fried Potatoes.
Havre de Grace, Maryland
“Fun - family friendly dining, a unique experience!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Family meal is a cross between a diner, a restaurant and an old fashion drug store soda fountain all in one, basically it's a LOT OF FUN!!! The building and location are great, it's a former auto dealership- big windows and plenty of PARKING! Restaurant seating is purposely and very smartly divided into tables and counter - hence the dinner experience but it's gets even better....The counter is further subdivided into 2 sections, adults (bar service) and family. We were seated in the middle of the 2 so we could observe both. The desert chef station is right in front of the family section so the kids watch each and every desert made in the house and boy are they entertained.... YOU KNOW THAT WAS DONE ON PURPOSE!!!
The food was very good, my husband had the pulled pork sandwich with duck fat fries. The pork sandwich was excellent but he was disappointed by the duck fat fries - there $$$ and he's had better- save your money and get the regular fries. I had a the steak salad, the steak was excellent but the portion size was small, not enough salad for me. I had a side order of Brussels sprouts, they were good but a little too rich for me, too much bacon fat, I like Ayse's Brussels sprouts better.
We were very pleased with the over all experience, very casual and lots of fun too, it was loud and people seemed to be enjoying themselves all around us- if you are looking for that kinda of experience, this is the place for you.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
“Ups and Downs”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

My family and extended family went to Family Meal for a weekend lunch. For a restaurant named "Family Meal," I guess I was expecting something cozier with round tables and a little less noisy. I'm glad we didn't sit in booths The benches were just slabs of hard wood--seemed uncomfortable. For the food, we ordered the Mahi tacos, mac and cheese, applesauce, duck fat fries, and the rockfish. The tacos were smaller than expected and according to menu, were to have a salw [spelling as seen on menu]. They didn't, but the fish was done fine. The kids loved the mac and cheese, but it lacked a little seasoning. Neither would touch the brown sugar applesauce. It was too sweet, dark brown, and had lots of peeling bits. I make my own at home, so maybe we're just used to peel-free. The rockfish entree was good, but again, thought it needed a little salt. We liked the fries, although they were just a little soggy. Overall, it was fine. Whether or not we'd try it again is up in the air. The price is not the average family friendly.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Washington, DC
“Absolutely delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

My wife and I had a late lunch at Family Meal on the Monday after Easter. At first glance it seemed out of place in what looked like a car dealership. We found out later that the building was exactly that in a previous life. The restaurant was crowded but we were able to be seated. The decor was modern and tasteful. Service was professional and excellent. The wait staff was attentive and patient. To top it all off, the food was superb! I had a carrot ginger soup that was incredibly delicious. My wife had pork BBQ that was very tasty. I had an eggplant, cheese and toasted red pepper sandwich that was delightful and filling. The chocolate earl grey donut dessert was to die for! Everything about Family Meal is 1st class! Wine is a little pricey ($9-$12 a glass). Beer selection good and nicely priced ($4-$7). We'll definitely be back!

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
washington,dc
“So we've been there three times now,”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

and had a different experience each time. We have always gone for lunch. I'm a sucker for the fried chicken, and I love that they are happy to accommodate me when I ask for all dark meat. It is good; the fried chicken, I mean - brined and tender and flavorful and crispy. Mmmm. However, first visit it ws hot and perfectly crispy, second time warm and slightly crispy, and third time hot and almost overcooked. Same inconsistency with the duck fat french fries: once, tasty but limp, next, hot and crispy and perfect, next, hot but limp even after we asked for crispy. We've tried a couple of the appetizers: deviled eggs are good, but ice cold, and the pimento cheese was excellent but the bacon-sorghum jam was overly sweet and overpowered the cheese - they should think about offering that on the side. The pastrami sandwich was good, and the mahi tacos tasty, but not much to them - they might consider using two tortillas and adding a little more volume. Macaroni and cheese is very good. Service has been good and just average; initially we were sure the staff was trained, lately that does not appear to be the case. The negatives at Family Meal are the noise and the cost - it is, after all, a former automobile showroom, and all hard edges make for noise, and it is pricey. When everything is not perfection, you question whether it was worth it. All in all, yes. We'll go back. Even if it's just for my dark meat fried chicken. :-)

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Damascus, Maryland
“Great food, not impressed with atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Went here for a late lunch on a Sunday afternoon with no reservations so we sat at the counter. It was entertaining watching the staff make salads and desserts. Our food was wonderful, my wife liked the quirkiness of the place but I did not like the noise level and barren atmosphere. We will go back because the food was outstanding.

Visited March 2013