“Casual fare with a twist” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Family Meal is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 330 Restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Chef Bryan Voltaggio's modern American diner offers affordable all-day meals in a former Frederick car dealership transformed by clever design and raw, natural materials into an open, airy space, with a long counter fronting an open kitchen; its menu elevates the comfort-food canon, while adult beverages include boozy milkshakes as well as wine, beer and cocktails. Signature dishes include Fried Chicken with Buttermilk Biscuits, Meatloaf with Mushroom Gravy and Duck Fat Fried Potatoes.
Clarksville, Maryland
“Casual fare with a twist”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

After reading about Family Meal in the newspaper, on a whim we decided to try it out. We lucked out that there was no wait on a Sunday at 3pm in October. The atmosphere is that of an upscale diner or casual but on the trendy style restaurant. The menu is not extensive, but the food we had was very good. (Not like some places with a huge menu, but never excel on any of the items.) The name fits the style of food; I felt like I was having a nice
Sunday meal, but with a twist. The prices were reasonable. I am recommending this place to friends and will definitely go back. There are just those times when you want a nice meal and be relaxed and casual at the same time.

I also liked that it is located in an existing building (a former car dealership) and the use of recycled materials inside. Plenty of free parking.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Middletown, Maryland
“A Wonderfully Unique Breakfast Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Everyone in the Washington DC area who loves fine dining is probably familiar with VOLT, chef Bryan Voltaggio's restaurant in Frederick, MD. Family Meal is Bryan's newest restaurant in Frederick (3rd) and is one of the few places in Frederick that serves breakfast. Thank you Bryan as I love going out for breakfast on the weekend. While Bryan himself is probably the best person to describe the concept behind the restaurant, I think Family Meal is a modern twist on a diner that you'd find somewhere out in the mid-west. I understand that he converted what used to be a car dealership into the restaurant. There's definitely a retro + modern feeling. That's vision! I love both the experience of the restaurant and the food. Today, my husband went with sides ... grits, toast, and eggs and I had the faro 'groats'. My last visit, I had the corned beef hash and my husband had blueberry waffles. I would loved to have tried the pumpkin waffles today but just didn't have the appetite for it. I loved the groats with honey walnuts. It really hit the spot and with a fantastic cup of coffee and great conversation, the experience at Family Meal was tops. I don't know how Bryan does it but each of the meals are infused with unique flavors that are also healthy. And I love the fact that they use local produce. I look forward to our next trip and will hopefully go with a larger appetite as it is really great!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Newark DE
“Not quite ready for prime time, but we predict it soon will be”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Was intrigued by the reviews so drove there on a beautiful fall day. Reservation honored-a five minute wait at 2 PM on a Saturday and the place was mobbed. After ordering it took 30 minutes to get a burger which was ordered medium rare and came on the moo side of rare. Server apologized, brought a different entree and then comped that part of the meal. Fried chicken is amazing, desserts and coffee very good. Maybe we caught them on an off day Will return in a few months.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Frederick, MD
“Quick, different, DELICIOUS!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I was highly skeptical of this place and put off going there for months even though it is only a few minutes from my office. Now i can't wait to go back. I went on a Wednesday afternoon - plenty of booths available. Decor was in keeping with his other restaurants, clean, sparse, yet comfortable. I ordered the fried chicken and duck fat fries. My companion ordered some veggie sandwich. Our food arrived very quickly. The chicken was excellent and the fries were better than any i had ever tasted. I didn't get to take a bit of the veggie sandwich, but it disappeared pretty fast. We ordered dessert, which arrived in minutes. I still can't stop thinking about the cheesecake, which arrived in a JAR!! It was unreal - the ginger snap crumbles perfectly complemented the raspberry layer below and the creamy cake on the bottom. My friend ordered the sundae which she said was extraordinary. Ok - the lunch set me back $50, but it was well worth it.

New Market, Maryland
“Fried Chicken to die for...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Family Meal is cooking star Bryan Voltaggio's take on a gourmet comfort food diner. If you have ever been to San Francisco's Fog City Diner, you will get the idea. I took my bride to Family Meal for her birthday lunch. It was a spur of the moment idea, and it was a good one! First, we had the fried green tomatoes as an appetizer. They were fried perfectly in a light batter and served with pecan bacon candy. My wife's only criticism was that there were too few. She could have eaten another order. I had a Michalada as my beverage (beer, lime juice, Maggi sauce, worcestershire sauce) which was different and refreshing. Sort of a red beer on steroids. My main course was the Fried Chicken. A thigh, a leg, a wing, and half a breast on the bone--your basic 1/2 chicken. The batter was just light seasoned flour. The chicken was so juicy that I had to use my napkin as a bib. I remembered my mom making such chicken 50 years ago. Wow! It was good. It was served with biscuits and pickles. My wife had a very good basic burger which she loved, but I feel I got the better meal.We shared the french fries in duck fat with 3 excellent dipping sauces: homemade catsup, green garlic sauce, and aoli. All were good, but I think the garlic was best. Dessert was the pistachio cream pie with pineapple sherbet and a melted marshmallow. Fantastic!
The service was friendly, helpful, and quick.
If you're in the Frederick area stop by Family Meal for an uber-diner treat.

• Visited September 2012