“Not quite ready for prime time, but we predict it soon will be” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Family Meal is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #41 of 317 Restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Brunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Chef Bryan Voltaggio's modern American diner offers affordable all-day meals in a former Frederick car dealership transformed by clever design and raw, natural materials into an open, airy space, with a long counter fronting an open kitchen; its menu elevates the comfort-food canon, while adult beverages include boozy milkshakes as well as wine, beer and cocktails. Signature dishes include Fried Chicken with Buttermilk Biscuits, Meatloaf with Mushroom Gravy and Duck Fat Fried Potatoes.
Newark DE
“Not quite ready for prime time, but we predict it soon will be”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Was intrigued by the reviews so drove there on a beautiful fall day. Reservation honored-a five minute wait at 2 PM on a Saturday and the place was mobbed. After ordering it took 30 minutes to get a burger which was ordered medium rare and came on the moo side of rare. Server apologized, brought a different entree and then comped that part of the meal. Fried chicken is amazing, desserts and coffee very good. Maybe we caught them on an off day Will return in a few months.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Frederick, MD
“Quick, different, DELICIOUS!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I was highly skeptical of this place and put off going there for months even though it is only a few minutes from my office. Now i can't wait to go back. I went on a Wednesday afternoon - plenty of booths available. Decor was in keeping with his other restaurants, clean, sparse, yet comfortable. I ordered the fried chicken and duck fat fries. My companion ordered some veggie sandwich. Our food arrived very quickly. The chicken was excellent and the fries were better than any i had ever tasted. I didn't get to take a bit of the veggie sandwich, but it disappeared pretty fast. We ordered dessert, which arrived in minutes. I still can't stop thinking about the cheesecake, which arrived in a JAR!! It was unreal - the ginger snap crumbles perfectly complemented the raspberry layer below and the creamy cake on the bottom. My friend ordered the sundae which she said was extraordinary. Ok - the lunch set me back $50, but it was well worth it.

• Visited October 2012
New Market, Maryland
“Fried Chicken to die for...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Family Meal is cooking star Bryan Voltaggio's take on a gourmet comfort food diner. If you have ever been to San Francisco's Fog City Diner, you will get the idea. I took my bride to Family Meal for her birthday lunch. It was a spur of the moment idea, and it was a good one! First, we had the fried green tomatoes as an appetizer. They were fried perfectly in a light batter and served with pecan bacon candy. My wife's only criticism was that there were too few. She could have eaten another order. I had a Michalada as my beverage (beer, lime juice, Maggi sauce, worcestershire sauce) which was different and refreshing. Sort of a red beer on steroids. My main course was the Fried Chicken. A thigh, a leg, a wing, and half a breast on the bone--your basic 1/2 chicken. The batter was just light seasoned flour. The chicken was so juicy that I had to use my napkin as a bib. I remembered my mom making such chicken 50 years ago. Wow! It was good. It was served with biscuits and pickles. My wife had a very good basic burger which she loved, but I feel I got the better meal.We shared the french fries in duck fat with 3 excellent dipping sauces: homemade catsup, green garlic sauce, and aoli. All were good, but I think the garlic was best. Dessert was the pistachio cream pie with pineapple sherbet and a melted marshmallow. Fantastic!
The service was friendly, helpful, and quick.
If you're in the Frederick area stop by Family Meal for an uber-diner treat.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Poolesville, MD
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We really enjoyed the Family Meal restaurant on North East Street in Frederick. The place is owned by Bryan Voltaggio, the owner of Volt, and his influence is evident in the food. Unlike Volt, it is very casual and the place was filled on a Wednesday night--many young couples, some with children. The entre prices range from $15 to $25. The food was fabulous. We started with deviled eggs with smoked trout roe, bacon and chives. We shared the chopped garden salad which was lightly dressed and had lima beans, green beans, corn, bacon and egg with romaine. I ordered rockfish chorizo, with fava bean succotash, crispy collard greens. The presentation was beautiful and it was the best rockfish I have had in a long time. My husband ordered flat iron steak with caramelized shallots, mushrooms, béarnaise and duck fat fries (yes, they are made with duck fat!) that he really liked as well. We recommend it highly.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Frederick, MD
“Great food, slow service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

We've visited The Family Meal several times in the last month. The food is always excellent. The service tends to be a bit sluggish. It takes a long time for servers to greet you (15 minutes, or so) and by the time they arrive, we have usually decided what we wanted to order for our entire meal. There is not much attention given after the food arrives, plates tend to not be cleared, no inquiry regarding how things taste, etc. On our last trip, we waited 15 minutes for our server to inquire if we wanted dessert, or the check. I really enjoy the food, but it seems the restaurant may be a bit thin on service staff. We only go if we have plenty of time and don't mind chatting idly at the table.