“Great way to see Frederick” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 8 activities in Frederick
Type: Tours
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Taste Frederick offers unique 3-hour food tasting and cultural walking tours of historic downtown Frederick, MD. You will try foods from favorite local restaurants and specialty food shops, enough for a hearty lunch, while getting a taste of downtown Frederick's history, culture and architecture from our passionate and friendly tour guides. An enjoyable experience for locals and tourists alike.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
58 attraction reviews
“Great way to see Frederick”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

This was an excellent 3 hour tour. Our guide, Sarah, was very personable and knowledgeable and her love of Frederick was contagious. She had an excellent combination of tasty food, history and walking around the city. We started at Brewer's Alley, learning where the name came from and the history of the building. The pizza and beer taste was also good. Next we had the best pastrami sandwich I have ever had at Firestone's Market. I'll go back to Frederick just for this amazing sandwich. We sampled several items at Griff's Landing before heading over to Carroll Creek to see the community bridge and learn about the history of this part of the city. After very good fried green tomatoes at the Wine Kitchen, we took a leisurely stroll through the theatre district and some historic neighborhoods. The Pop Shop was a special treat with the Birch Beer bringing back fond memories of corner stores in from Pennsylvania. We ended at Zoe's Chocolate Co with fabulous chocolates. The tour was just the right length, with the perfect amount of food. It was very well organized and I learned a lot. My sister, who has lived in Frederick almost 30 years, also learned some new things about the town. Sarah is a superb guide and I highly recommend this tour.

Visited June 2013

Erie, Pennsylvania
“Great experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Enjoyed the food experience, but also the wonderful Frederick info that Sarah provided. She did a fabulous job and her pride in Frederick was contagious. We were so impressed with the wine kitchen, that we made reservations while there and went back for dinner that evening! We were treated royally at Brewer's Alley, Griff's Landing, and the Wine Kitchen. Firestone's Market was interesting and delicious...we went back there, too. Not so comfortable at Zoe's...although the chocolate was great. The Pop Shop....quite awkward. We would have preferred the Cellar Door or someplace else. Could've used a beverage (coffee) sooner, toward the end of the tour.

Visited May 2013
TasteFrederickTours, Owner at Taste Frederick, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your thoughts! We are so glad you enjoyed the experience and really appreciate the feedback. We like to think that some of the unique shops are part of Frederick's charm, but some are on the smaller side space-wise. We hope your return visit to The Wine Kitchen was wonderful and we hope you'll consider joining us on another Taste Frederick Food Tour in the future.
Maryland
4 attraction reviews
“Great food tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I have been on food tours in San Francisco and Washington D.C., but we didn't know quite to expect in a small town like Frederick. I'm happy to say we were not disappointed. We went to six different restaurants/food shops and sampled enough tasty food to send us home full.

Sarah is an excellent guide, giving you insight into Frederick's food culture and interesting history. I'd definitely recommend the tour as a great way to get to know Frederick or just a fun way to spend the afternoon.

Visited April 2013
10 attraction reviews
“Don't Miss This!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I've lived here (close to Frederick) all my life, but this tour was really interesting. I learned a lot about historical Frederick and had some fabulous food along the way. The stops were really fun and unique. It's hard to pick a favorite, but I've been back to the Olive Oil store and Zoe's Chocolate several times since then. Brewer's Alley has always been a favorite. Get your walking shoes on and do this tour. You won't be sorry!! (I found this on Groupon and once in a while there will be half off coupons).

Come hungry, you will have some great food. You will not be able to shop and purchase anything during the tour due to time constraints, but plan to stick around after the tour and revisit your favorites.

The host is really nice and knows her stuff! Don't forget a nice tip for her (no I'm not a relative or affiliated!).

Visited October 2012
Frederick, Maryland
“Absolutely wonderful venue”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I hosted a group of out of town college friends (12 in number) and booked this tour. We had an absolutely wonderful time. It allowed us alot of time to interact and visit, as well as enjoy some tasty spots in downtown Frederick. Our tour guide, Duane was very attentive to the group, there was no rushing or clockwatching ( although we got side tracked a few times). Indoor tastings (sitting in restaurants) were sprinkled in- so that you did not feel that you were walking/out of doors for 3 hours. Although it was grounded in promoting downtown businesses, there was quite a bit of historical and architectural information about the town that was shared. I highly recommend this for a group of friends ( even locals), it makes you proud to be a part of this great community.

Visited March 2013