“Hidden Gem!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Harrisville, Michigan
“Hidden Gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

We were new to Frederick and discovered this little restaurant almost hidden away! Well worth finding. The panini arrived with homemade sliced fingerling potatoes sprinkled with Parmesan. A touch that shows their special care.

• Visited July 2013

80% Recommend
Union Bridge, Maryland
“Just average”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

You know you are in a little trouble when you go to a restaurant on Friday night at 6:30 and there's only one other couple eating dinner. This was my first visit to Mistero. I hadn't heard anything about it. The other couple my wife and were with suggested we try it. The second warning sign was the bread they served us. To me, Italian bread should be tough and chewy - something really substantial. This bread was nothing like that. It tasted more like something you'd get at an inexpensive chain restaurant. The food was pretty good. The waitress was attentive, but didn't add any "personality" to the meal. Our food came out FAST. Almost to fast. We really didn't have time to enjoy the company. It's not a real surprise that the food came out so fast because there were so few people there. By the time we left three other tables were being used. Desserts were not so good. The Key Lime pie tasted like is was being thawed out from the freezer when they served it to us. There are other options for Italian restaurants in the area. I'll pick another one next time.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Frederick, Maryland
“Post Church Lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Both my husband and I had planned on visiting this rather new Frederick restaurant. Just after Easter, we did. I loved the pasta - it tasted like it might have been fresh. Prices were reasonable and will be back again.

Visited April 2013
Indianapolis, Indiana
“OMG delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We didn't know what to expect. Here is this little restaurant, with maybe 12 tables and a bar on the main floor, behind a parking garage. But it looked pretty intimate and that's what we were looking for. So, we cancelled reservations at another Frederick Italian, one on a more prominent street, and booked Mistero (Italian for Mystery I guess).

Wow. What a great decision.

We were first greeted by Ken, the manager. He seated us, engaged in some brief, albeit friendly conversation and went about his business. He didn't hover, but his eye was everywhere in that place and it ran like a Swiss watch.

We ordered a 2011 Kenwood Pinot Noir and an appetizer of Bruschetta with marinated tomatoes with a balsamic glaze. We brought some of it back to Indianapolis with us. It was not only palate pleasing, but eye pleasing as well. It was the first of several perfect dinner moments.

For dinner, I reluctantly turned away the special that night of salmon with a raspberry glaze and opted for the Fettuccine Giotto (egg noodle/char grilled chicken/fresh broccoli with a parmesan alfredo sauce.

Probably the best Italian meal I've had in at least five or six years.

Everything was perfect. The chicken was expertly seared. The broccoli was tender and lit up the dish. The sauce obviously wasn't born of a jar. I was very sorry I was getting full about 3/4 of the way through. My goodness it was absolutely delicious.

My wife opted for the spaghetti meatball (spaghetti noodle/ tomato sauce/ Italian meatballs).

She's not a very big person, but....she ate it all and eyed the droplets of marinara left on the plate when she was finished.

We really aren't beef/pork eaters, so the meatballs (2) were in a separate dish. I at least tried them (ate half of one) and thought seriously about becoming more of a carnivore.

The service? Spot on. One time Debra looked around the corner for our server (who was in the kitchen) and another one was there in a moment asking if she needed something.

As we were fawning over the chef, our server told us it was her husband...and she brought him to the table.

I gave him a standing "O".

This is a well run, well orchestrated restaurant. The food is excellent. The people are friendly and engaging, but on a mission to serve well and make you happy.

We'll be returning to Frederick one day and the first thing we'll be doing is making reservations at Mistero. If we lived close (we live in Indianapolis) we'd be there once a week.

Congrats to them. Outstanding.

• Visited June 2013
Frederick, Maryland
“Lovely Atmosphere, Food and Drinks!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

Mistero is one of our favorite restaurants in Frederick. It is tucked away in a quaint building. They have great drink specials (mostly on beer) and an amazing specialty drink menu (I cannot get enough of the mojitorita!). The food is absolutely delectable and at a great value! We are having family in town in a few weeks and will absolutely be taking them to Mistero for dinner.

• Visited May 2013