“Great food, easy atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #93 of 312 Restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: Cuban
Description: This restaurant was once on Market street in downtown Frederick Maryland. It closed for over a year and re-opened last week nearby but in Frederick.
Frederick, Maryland
“Great food, easy atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

That Cuban Place has found a new home on the east side of town. Lots of parking out front and lots of good cheer inside.
Like a neighborhood pub without the liquor license, you are welcomed with casual good cheer. You can bring your own wine or beer, if you wish.
The Caribbean and Latin American food is delicious and can suit a variety of spicey preferences.
The cafe is deceivingly white siding outside, but painted Caribbean orange inside. The bar seems to be full of old friends. There were drums in the corner by the door, so maybe there's music some nights. It will be worth checking on that....
A full plate lunch was about $8 and worth every penny. So glad they are up and running again!!

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Frederick, MD
“Great Cuban food and other goodies”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

That Cuban Place re-opened on April 4, 2012 at a new location, 506 E, Church St in Frederick next to the Goodwill. While it's not on Market or Patrick Streets, it's just a short walk or a quick drive (large parking lot!); and close to Shab Row.

My friend Liz and I had lunch (April 14th). We walked inside to a large open room with a long bar on the left side (about 10 bar stools), tables in the middle and booths on the right side. The walls are painted in a colorful tropical melon hue. On the walls are mirrors and posters depicting Cuba. Behind the bar is a large flat screen t.v. No liquor license (I believe this is BYOB) but we overheard owner Alfredo talking to a customer about having monthly liquor tastings. Sounds like a great idea.

We were greated (as always) warmly by Alfredo and our waiter.

We really enjoyed our sandwiches. We ordered the Cuban sandwich ($8.50) and pork sandwich ($7.50), which we split up to enjoy. I have to say my favorite was the pork sandwich, as the meat was tender, flavorful and filled with onions. The Cuban sandwich was missing pickles - at least we each found in our halves one very small pickle. No problem, we just asked the waitress to bring a few slices on a plate. She seemed concerned but promptly brought the plate. I believe a good crunchy pickle makes the sandwich.

We also ordered one guava/cheese pastry ($2). The pastry was like a turn-over, light, fluffy, and golden brown. I cut it in half to share and we discovered most of the guava was in one half of the pastry while the cheese was inside the other half. Recommend each person order their own.

Prices are extremely reasonable for the amount and quality of food you get. There's a good variety of sandwiches, daily lunch specials and dinner (including rice, beans, plantains or yucca) is only $12.99. You can't beat those prices.One suggestion to Alfredo - if you haven't already thought of it - Liz and I agree that it would be wonderful if you had an outside patio (back side of the building) with tables and umbrellas for outdoor dining!

Their web site is: http://thatcubanplace.com

Head there soon! It's great!!!

12 May 2012

Tony and I had lunch today. We sat at the counter and chatted with Alfredo. We missed their grand opening last week, as we were cruising the Caribbean. No worries, Alfredo told us he's having a second grand opening next month!

I had to order the pork sandwich, as I remembered it being so delicious the last time. It was a hit with me again.

Tony ordered the daily special, fried chicken. He said it was excellent. We learned a little secret on how they make their chicken, but they would never forgive us if we told anyone. Mums the word.

• Visited May 2012