“Try a different Hotel if possible” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #17 of 21 hotels in Frederick
Bridgeville, Pennsylvania
“Try a different Hotel if possible”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

My family and I stayed here for a couple of days over the summer. All I can say is that if I ever went back to Frederick MD I would stay at a different Hotel. This place is just too old, smelly and dingy!! When we came back to the hotel about 10:30pm the front door was locked and nobody was at the front desk to let us in so we had to wait until the desk person returned to let us in the hotel.....First time that ever happened to me!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

33 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Fort Wayne, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

We ended up staying here because our original plans to stay at a different hotel fell through due to a power outage. There was a room available here so we decided to stay. The staff was friendly enough but the facilities were VERY outdated. Room/bathroom showed major signs of wear. Carpet looked and felt dirty. I question the cleanliness of the facility as a whole. It is also right off a highway and is VERY noisy at night. I would not choose to stay at this particular hotel again unless there were MAJOR improvements made to the facility. I would not recommend this hotel at this point in time.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
White Plains, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

Checked in for 2-night visit. The room smelled like sour milk and smoke combination and was supposed to be nonsmoking room. It was in basement of hotel, my kids called it the dungeon looking at the trash dumpster thru the window. When leaving the room to talk to front desk about moving to alternate room, a MOUSE ran by heading towards the cafe. Manager said they could spray the room but I would have to stay out for an hour. Upon early checkout they credited me $30.00 for inconvience. However, called back next day to say it was a mistake and they were adding $20.00 back on my credit card! We definitely would not eat their "free" breakfast. Also woke up to bugs climbing up the desk and onto clothing that was left there. If you want something really nice and not much more money, try Hampton Inn in Germantown, absolutely beautiful and clean and you don't have to share your bed with a mouse or bugs. We got a 1 br suite for only $20.00 more and a breakfast we could enjoy, not to mention the large swimming pool and TV channels - flat screen.

Room Tip: first 2 levels smell like smoke/sour milk
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
West Palm Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2010

This is an older property and they have done some work to accommodate the needs of today's travelers (and they need to do more). The entrance, particularly at night, can remind one of coming in to an old time downtown hotel. There is no front desk. It is a counter built so high that it blocks any view of the reception person. They lock the doors at some time during the night, and with no buzzer, you have to hope the person behind the counter can hear you - then you see a hand reach up to a large button on the wall and buzz you in. One night, we had to knock on the glass door. The set up is not a deal killer, but sure is less than welcoming. The desk people were not very communicative. I think the high desk front contributes to their detachment from the guests. I went in and out of this place a dozen times during the stay and was never welcomed with a smile, and rarely an acknowledgment (even though you have to pretty much stand in front of the counter to use the elevator). The wireless service is poor on upper floors - I never got a signal and was told not to expect one. They do have DSL cords if you want to go back to being tethered to the wall to work. The shower curtain needed changed. The sink drained poorly. After a complaint, it was not fixed. The elevator was very small and abutted against the reception desk/barrier. Went to the breakfast room once. They had carved it out of an old conference room in the basement. Seemed pretty musty to me. I have a strong hunch the smoking rooms were down there, too. Having said all this, the place was clean, the bed and pillows comfortable and reasonably quiet, considering the closeness to the road. Entrance to the lot can be harrowing - an immediate left turn into the lot after making a turn from a very busy road. Be careful the car behind you is not too close. As said, the building has been around a long time and they have had to convert what was acceptable when this was built into making it work now. It was not an unpleasant stay.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Chaptico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2008

I recently stayed at this hotel for 2 nights for a lacrosse tournament in walkersville. This hotel was very clean and updated the, bathrooms had granite countertops, tile floors, and tile shower. The beds had ample pillows,6 per bed, and were comfortable to sleep on. The continental breakfast was a surprise with tons of food choices an a room with tables and chairs right there so you dont have to carry the food back to your room. The service was very friendly when we asked for an extra roll away it was brought up in a couple of minutes. All in all this is a great hotel to stay in just dont go to the red horse resteraunt (25 DOLLARS WAS THE CHEAPEST THING ON THE MENU!) I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a nice but not fancy hotel to stay in for any amount of time seeing as the price was only about ten dollars over the cheapest one in frederick.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2008

This hotel is an old one that has been there for almost 50 years, which is why I think people have commented on the smell. It just had the same faint smell that any building with history has - it reminded me of the college I went to. It has been newly renovated on the inside and I found the rooms to be clean and updated with new wallpaper and carpets while retaining the historical feel with classic-looking furniture. I know one person complained about the beds but I personally thought they were very comfortable and I slept like a log on mine, which is not usual for me when I am not in my own bed.
The night manager was very accomodating and pleasant, and more than happy to answer any questions. There is a large convenience store just across the street that is a great place to pick up a quick snack or drink. Hood College is a very short drive away. I am glad we stopped here.

• Liked — the comfortable beds
  • Disliked — the room was kind of on the small side
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
charlotte
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2008

This is an older hotel in Federick, MD that is much in need of renovating. The staff was very friendly, but the hotel was old, and seemed very dirty and had a heavy smoke smell to it. The hotel did offer a full hot breakfast in the morning, but I did not take advantage of it so I can't offer a review. I'm not a big fan of Comfort Inn hotels, so I did not expect much from this. All in all, I was still disappointed and would not stay there again.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Comfort Inn Red Horse Frederick? Share your experiences!