“Our go-to Mexican/Latin restaurant in Frederick” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #58 of 320 restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: Mexican
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Our go-to Mexican/Latin restaurant in Frederick”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

We've been to several Latin/Mexican restaurants in Frederick and Santa Rosa is our favorite. Good food, good service. I'll still keep searching for a place with the Tex/Mex food I rememeber from home in NM but until I find it here, Santa Rosa is my first choice.

Visited March 2014

85% Recommend
Frederick, Maryland
“Really good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

Santa Rosa has been around for many years. They started out small near K-Mart on Rt 40 with really good food, personable service, and low prices. A few years ago, they moved to a larger place nearby and have managed to keep up the quality very nicely. The place is much more up-scale in appearance, but they still cook the same good food. They also have at least double the competition now, but seem to be holding their own.
You can pick anything on the menu and it will come out very well. Be sure to tell your waiter/waitress how spicy-hot you like it and they will get very close. You can also talk them into substitutes.
Get whatever you like, but don't forget the plantains. One of the first places in Frederick to offer good plantains!

• Visited September 2013
Frederick, Maryland
“If you want real Mexican and Salvadorian food this is the place to be!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Great food and great service! Their papusa and tacos are amazing!! Along with their fajitas and their shrimp dishes! Chips and salsa are complimentary and quite tasty! Better than any "mexican" restaurant out there...that shall rename nameless but you know who I'm talking about. Overall this place is amazing and will always go there for great authentic food!

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Frederick, Maryland, United States
“Delicious tamales (and more!)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

This place serves Mexican and El Salvadorean food. We decided we'd try the El Salvadorean dishes. We started with the pasteles and tamal de elote. Both were delicious. The tamal was so delicious, we got some to go. They're served with sour cream.

My husband ordered COMBINACION GUANACA, which was beef with two eggs, Salvadorean cheese, fried plantain, avocado, rice, refried beans & two tortillas. A very generous serving size. I ordered lomo saltado, which was also very generously sized. I had plenty to take home for leftovers. Along with the meal, they offer three kinds of tortillas--flour, corn, or "homemade." We went with the homemade tortillas, which were very dense and tasted like they were made with cornmeal--sort of like pupusas without the stuffing.Oh, and the refried beans were delicious--I usually leave them on the plate, but they were so good I took the leftovers home.

They have a full bar and a nice assortment of beers. My husband ordered a Salvadorean beer.

Everything was delicious, the dining room was clean, and the waitress was very friendly and efficient. We'll definitely return.

• Visited August 2013
Middletown
“High Expectations/Average results”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

I had heard nothing but good things about this restaurant so we gave it a try. The portions were fine but the steak they used for carne sada was full of grissle. The wait staff was very good and the atmosphere. I'll try again soon but order something different. The other meals at the table were traditional Mexican and were good.

• Visited August 2013