“A Bit Pricy But Excellent Food & Service” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Wine Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 320 restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Take a right off Market St. onto Carroll Creek Way
Silver Spring, MD
“A Bit Pricy But Excellent Food & Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

My wife, daughter and son-in-law had dinner here on the recommendation of the host of a wine tasting we had just attended. The restaurant is located in "Old Town" Frederick, MD and is situated next to the creek. The heated outdoor seating looked very nice, however we chose to eat inside with the outdoor temperature hovering at 50 F. The indoor seating was comfortable but a bit plain and modern for my taste.

Our server was knowledgeable, attentive, and very personable. We started off with appetizers, my daughter and I had a very tasty mixed beet salad, and my wife a fig salad that she described as "wonderful", and we shared oysters on the half shell which served capped with sweet onions were over powered and unremarkable. Libations were a Manhattan "up", a glass of red wine for my daughter, and my son-in-law tried two bourbons from their extensive spirit list. Allwere noted as very good. The restaurant also feature several wine "flights" of three different 3 oz. samples.

My entree was a 12 0z. locally raised New York strip steak with mashed white potatoes and broccoli ($37). I ordered the steak "black & blue", which I had to explain two our server. The steak arrived just as ordered and full of flavor. My wife had scallops ($22) which she said were very good but would have liked more than the three offered with no sides other than three small onions. My daughter had crispy lamb belly with mashed sweet potatoes ($24) which she described as very tasty but also a smaller portion than expected. My son-in-law had Halibut ($24 +/-), again tasty but a small portion.

The coffee is excellent but is French roast and yields one and a half cups making refills expensive.

The service, presentation, and quality of the entrees make this a five star selection. However the price for the size of the entrees made me reduce the rating to four stars. With the exception of the steak which I consider a normal portion for the entree, the others were small by any standard.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

92% Recommend
Arlington VA
“Fresh, Inventive, Clever”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

This is a welcome addition to Frederick's restaurant scene. I met friends for brunch and the "3 for" deal is great. The fall salads were beautiful and delicious, the egg dishes were just right. The one complaint -- our service was VERY slow. the server apologized a number of times, but didn't offer complimentary coffee or any thing to redress the situation. If Wine Kitchen can work out this type of kink, they will be my go to place in Frederick.

• Visited November 2012
North Pole, Alaska
“This place was amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

SOOOOOO GOOOOOOD!!!!! We hit happy hour which was awesome. The food was excellent. Our waitress was great. I would highly recommend a reservation. Probably not the best family place.

• Visited August 2012
“JUST GREAT!!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

What a great find, nice place, brunch was absolutely great and very reasonable. Service was right on. And yes we'll be back soon.

Clarksburg, MD
“Excellent Service, Great Food, Wonderful Ambience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Ate here recently on a Saturday night and had a wonderful experience. We didn't have a reservation, but had no issue getting a table for 2 around 7pm. By the time we left, the restaurant was quite crowded. I noticed many people trying wine flights with descriptions of the wines, but we didn't try that. The table next to us seemed to really like that experience. I tried their house red Sangria, which was good. For appetizers, I had the beet and apricot salad with goat cheese, arugula and pistachios. It was just the right balance and delicious. My husband tried the cream of cauliflower soup and thought it was excellent. For our entrees I had the special steak cut for the evening, which was a 12oz. strip with homemade mashed potatoes and chives and fresh green beans. The presentation was lovely. The steak came out on a wooden plate, with a black iron looking skillet that had the potatoes in it. Then the green beans surrounded the steak. I asked for the steak medium. I have to say it was more rare than medium, but I personally love a rare steak. The mashed potatoes where some of the best I've ever had. My husband had the venison special. He usually does not like venison because it is "gamey" but this was special venison from New Zealand that is raised for eating and was very mild with only a hint of gaminess. That meal came over cabbage with turnips, mushrooms and huckleberries. He said the flavors worked perfectly together and left nothing for me to sample. We skipped dessert, since we were more than full from dinner. The table next to us tried the chocolate cake with ice cream and the slice of cake has gigantic! They seemed to really enjoy it, but couldn't finish it. The tables are very close together in this restaurant, but i didn't feel like I was listening in on our neighbors. The decor was very modern but warm. Our sever was extremely knowledgeable and attentive and able to offer us suggestions and answer all our questions easily. For 2 drinks each, 2 appetizers and 2 entrees we spent $109 before tip. The steak cut and the venison special were two of the most expensive things on the menu at $35 and $32 dollars. There are several entrees in the $20s range, and they have a nice selection of seafood and meat based dishes. I would highly recommend this restaurant. We plan on returning.

• Visited October 2012