“For the love of model trains” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 16 Attractions in Frederick
Type: Specialty Museums, Museums
Bowie, Maryland
3 attraction reviews
“For the love of model trains”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

Any time is a good time to get your fix for model trains and this museum is just the place to go! There's an admission charge, but in my opinion it's worth it.

Bring your camera and take lots of movies and stills. And most of all ENJOY!

Visited December 2012

Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA
“Wasn't allowed in.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I've been trying to get to the Roads and Rails Museum with a five and three year old. We headed up there on Sunday after nap time. I knew it would be a short visit since they close at 5pm. When we arrived at 4:36, we were not allowed in because the man on his phone said they stop selling tickets at 4:30. I wish this information was on the website.

Visited November 2013
San Jose, California
“Great, big a must”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Very Big set up, many scenes from TV, great moving things,
great for kids and adults alike. Many different trains, great fair ground, great zoo, etc.

Visited September 2013
Frederick, Maryland
32 attraction reviews
“Lots of fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I went with a young niece and her dad and we had a great time. There is a very large room with a center table covered in multiple scenes with several train lines weaving in and out. You walk slowly around the circuit looking at small towns, trains, etc. The more OCD visitors can get "treasure-hunt lists" of various things to search for and check-off the list. The display is amusing for adults and kids in the 3-10 range really seemed to like it. The room is large enough for small kids to run around like maniacs when the urge strikes without negatively impacting other visitors. They have lots of small booster steps so shorter kids can see onto the table.
Takes about an hour to see it all.
They also have small rooms with other exhibits and for birthday parties.
Fun time for all of us - nice staff too.

Visited June 2013
“Little Boy Heaven!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

I have three boys who get excited just driving past real railroad tracks. So seeing model railroad displays is always a joy for them. We have been twice, for 45-60 minutes each time. The layout is huge. I find the scenes whimsical and entertaining. The buttons have always worked for my boys, over and over, and over. The layout is circular, so my boys do a lot of running around it. They provide stools for shorter children to stand on. They provide a scavenger hunt that I think my oldest would enjoy, but younger fans don't seem to have the attention our ability to do it. It might be a fun date for a couple, though. I think the price is reasonable. They just completed a major upgrade to their Lego reason collection, it looks like we need to take another trip. The staff has always been very friendly.

Visited May 2013