“Grand Kids loved it” 5 of 5 stars

19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Grand Kids loved it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

If you or any one you know enjoys model trains, this is a must see. The layout is one of the largest I have ever enjoyed. The vignettes were all working properly with a very large selection of styles and sizes. The community scenes were adorable and our grand kids loved them. I know we will be back regularly.

Visited April 2013

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Impressive layout; an enjoyable experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

For whatever reason, I wasn't expecting much out of this museum. However, when I walked through the cave-style entrance, I was so impressed by the display. The set-up was so detailed-oriented; even the walls were painted to look like skies. At first, it may not seem like much, but upon closer inspection, you begin to notice all sorts of witty details. If you are from the Frederick area, you might enjoy the pint-size Flying Dog Brewery. The scavenger hunt is a must do; it forces you to open your eyes to all of the humor and details of the exhibit. While we probably would have spent less time there, the scavenger hunt encouraged us to stay for almost two hours!

The employees were quite friendly and definitely served to make the experience more enjoyable. My entire group was over 21 years of age, but we all enjoyed the Museum immensely. If you have any sense of adventure or are still a child at heart, I definitely recommend visiting Roads and Rails!

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Awissa
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Good job”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Really nice thing to do for kids under 10-11. Expansive train layout very imaginatively done. Not something you see everywhere.

Frederick, MD
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“A little gem in Frederick”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We were so delighted to take our 8 year old for this treat. Even if you're not a railroad fan you'll have alot of fun here. Very cleverly done.

Visited October 2011
Frederick, Maryland
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Creative, Fun & Engaging for all Ages”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

Since it opened last year my 3 year old grandson has been to Roads and Rails over 30 times and once there, never wants to leave! As a result of his experiences, he has already started with an HO gauge train of his own. A visit could last from about 30 minutes to well more than an hour. There are at least seven full trains running all the time, several others that are activated by motion detectors and about a dozen buttons activate other attractions, e.g., vans and trolleys traveling around a town, a tiny Z gauge train, a roller coaster and a volcano. Each time we go I see something new, too, in the creative layouts that are always changing and being improved. I am particularly impressed with details such as the traffic lights in the little town that are sequenced like the real thing. The guys there are always willing to answer questions about the layout, the process of model-building and about trains in general. So when you go, be sure to get one of them engaged in a conversation. Dave Burroughs, the owner, is especially willing to share his extensive international knowledge of trains, modeling and train history but all of the others will gladly stop and respond to queries of any kind. I highly recommend a visit to Roads and Rails for everyone from 2 to 92.

Visited February 2012