“Held the interest of the kids” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 43 things to do in Frederick
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: The National Museum of Civil War Medicine is the premier center for the study and research of medical innovation during the American Civil War. Exhibits, programs lecture and research facilities look at innovations in science, medical logistics, medical organization, nursing, civilian medical relief and much more.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
10 attraction reviews
“Held the interest of the kids”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

We loved this museum. My children, ages 11, 9, and 8 enjoyed the displays, and learned a lot. The staff was friendly, and very well informed.This museum is so interesting, since you rarely hear about medical practices during the Civil War. It truly gives you new insight into the lesser known dangers of the war, infection and disease.

Visited August 2011

Baltimore
10 attraction reviews
“Interesting exhibits and knowledgeable staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

We visited the museum after leaving a restaurant. The staff was very helpful and were able to answer all questions. The exhibits were interesting and I enjoyed the lecture by one of the curators. I especially enjoyed his discussion of the civil war and medical advances. We happened to be there during a town event, so the admission was free, but normally I think it is around 8-10$. I highly recommend it to history buffs. My only complaint was that it is housed in a rather small building, but they make the most of the space they have available.

Visited October 2010
Elyria, Ohio
14 attraction reviews
“Not a Bad Museum”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

Small but the exhibits were very interesting. The staff was very friendly and the guide who took us up to the museum was knowledgable and friendly. If in Frederick a good place to stop in.

Visited June 2011
4 attraction reviews
“Enjoyable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2011

My bofriend and I traveled to Frederick for valentines day. We spent the afternoon in downtown exploring the many wonderful shops. We came across this museum. We had the most wonderful time exploring the past. I am a nurse and he is a respiratory therapist so we both love medical stuff. The information was well presented and staff was great. I recommend a stop here. It was an awesome way to spend a cold feb afternoon with my favorite person.

Atlanta, Georgia
14 attraction reviews
“Absolutely First Rate”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

Been to a number of civil war sites and enjoy them very much. This museum is something different and a natural extension of the usually superficial reference to medical care during the battle especially for those, like myself, who are/were in the military and/or "medical biz". The subject is thoroughly developed and the exhibits are professsionally presented and logically arranged. There is even sufficient "Eeeewh, gross!" factor to interest the "Tweeners" (but not enough to be disturbing to the kiddies) you may be traveling with. Finally, the bookstore has many relevant civil war medicine selections as well as some non-medical civil war stuff. Plan on 2-3 hrs (including bookstore browzing). There is a city parking structure behind the museum.
The museum also has an annex to the museum at the Pry House (McClellan's hq on the Antitetam battlefield). Though not nearly as extensive, it's definitely worthwhile if your schedule won't permit seeing the full museum in Frederick.