“Choose the right dishes and you'll have a wonderful Thai meal” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 320 restaurants in Frederick
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Frederick, Maryland
“Choose the right dishes and you'll have a wonderful Thai meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

This was my third visit but first review of this excellent little Thai restaurant in downtown Frederick, MD. My previous dinners were all good, but some dishes out shined others. I think I am getting the knack for picking from their menu. (Though most everything I have tried has been very good - with an exception of a vapid Tom Kha Gai I had on my second visit) The highlight of the dinner was the Volcanic Shrimp. It is amazingly delicious! Crispy, perfectly cooked giant shrimp with cashews cooked in a slightly sweet/tart tamarind sauce. YUM! The Praram Tofu was a dish of fried bean curd with ginger-peanut sauce and steamed broccoli with crispy shallots. It was a real winner! And the Tom Yom Noodle soup with shrimp, fishballs and chicken crushed the lackluster Tom Kha I previously mentioned. I am looking forward to going back again. I gotta have those Volcanic Shrimp!

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

90% Recommend
“Great Thai meal in downtown Frederick!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

We have been here several times and have not been disappointed, EVER! The food is fresh and authentic and you get a real taste of Thai cuisine.
The service is as good as the food and if you go on a week night the bottle of wine is half price during happy hour! Believe me you need the wine to cool off that spicey cuisine!!
Don't miss when you go downtown!!!

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Leesburg, Virginia
“Exceptional Thai!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

While shopping for a particular item & visiting in Frederick, we referenced TripAdvisor before going, and chose Sumittra based on reviews & menu. What we did not realize was that it was First Night Frederick, and the downtown area was swamped with people! We did not have reservations on a Saturday, yet after a brief wait, and keeping us informed of the progress the whole time, the staff of Sumittra seated us with no problem.
We have been missing supremely excellent Thai food since moving over five years ago, but no more. We have found this restaurant to be excellent, exceptionally tasty Thai food!! We had very personable service, who gave us recommendations when asked. They absolutely met us at our needs every turn.
The papaya salad was not disappointing - good portion, crispy, and lightly, sweetly spicy.
The Fantasia Duck is fabulous! Fiery flavor, crispy finish on very tender duck, and not greasy or overdone. We also shared a special that night - a crispy shrimp dish that I could have eaten every night for a week - large shrimp with that "fresh" pop-bite to them, done very light & crispy, and searingly fiery with great depth of flavor - not just heat. All this great flavor & very good service while the restaurant was completely swamped - they handled it all very well.
We enjoyed this dinner so much, we drove up the next weekend JUST to have a second dinner at this exceptional Thai!! The other dishes we had were equally wonderful. We had a steamed dumpling special that was very tasty. We shared the Pad Prik Pao (tofu) which had wonderful flavor (not quite as fiery as I enjoy, but a very good dish). My husband's Pad Khing was delicious as well, a good ginger flavor outstanding among the other depth of flavors.
We highly recommend this place. If anything is going on in Frederick though, you might want to call for reservations. I am rating the "Romance" and "Special Occasions" average only because the place is highly energetic, and appropriately noisey & crowded. If you're looking for a group, not sure unless it's off hours. If you're looking for a quiet date, forget it. If you're looking for a memorable meal in an energetic atmosphere, this is perfect.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Alexandria, VA
“Good food, interesting service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I'm not a hugely adventurous eater, but I like limited Thai food. This place was good, had a great chicken satay dish. I got basic chicken fried rice so I could have leftovers the next day. The portion was good, but the dish was bland. Rice and chicken could have used a little spice/seasoning.

Our waiter was pleasant, but was a bit curt. Wasn't really an issue since I was involved in discussions with my coworker, but just something I noticed.

Overall it's a good place to eat.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Frederick, Maryland
“Great Thai!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

There are many places to eat in Frederick, but not that many of this caliber. We just love this place and have had take out a number of times and its still warm and crispy (when necessary) when we get home.

• Visited May 2013