“DLCTAX” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Frederick, Maryland
“DLCTAX”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

The Serenity Tea Room is a very nice place to have a bridal shower or baby shower. The food is excellent and the atmosphere is peaceful and elegant. My mother and my sister also enjoyed our afternoon tea. The service is excellent. I would recommend Serenity Tea Room to all my friend.

• Visited November 2013

Alexandria, Virginia
“Very nice tearoom”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Serenity tearoom offers a Maryland take on the traditional afternoon tea. The staff were very friendly, and the tearoom itself is elegant and peaceful without being frilly or overly formal. If you're having tea for two, try to request one of the window tables overlooking the street. The tea and tea tray were of very good quality from the scone to sandwiches and desserts. I've had tea in hotels and small tearooms in a few places in the U.S. and in England, and the only cons here are that the choices are overwhelming for guests, and the scone isn't a traditional scone (sorry but I like the crumbly texture of a typical scone). I'd recommend that the owner could cut down on the number of teas offered as well as the number of options for soups, jams and curds. I think most people who've had afternoon tea don't expect that much of a selection, and it would save the time of staff explaining the day's menu to each table. Or perhaps the staff could simply write the day's offerings on a board in the main room? Nice experience overall, but as I said, just a little overwhelming!

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Columbia, MD
“Wow, what a gem in Frederick, you won't go wrong here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

My husband and I spent a delightful afternoon here today. Friends of ours had recommended it as excellent, but we were unprepared for actually how excellent it was! The owner makes you feel like you are in her own home and very very welcome. Service is very personal and efficient, yet completely un-hurried.

The tea selections are very extensive and the food is some of the best I have eaten at tea either in the US or in England. Each item on the tea tray has a unique twist and flavor that makes it more than the usual sandwiches, scones, and sweets that you find here in the US. We bought two scones to take home, wrapped in a lavender bag with tissue, wow! Nice little shop as well selling tea and tea things. We will return here whenever we want a really special afternoon.

• Visited August 2013
Canberra, Australia
“All in the name!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

The Serenity Tea Room is run by a risk but very friendly woman named Blanche, who pleasantly takes you through the 65 choices of tea and a selection of very good sandwiches. I can thoroughly recommend the turkey and bacon. The tea is perfectly brewed and the sandwiches are made to order. This takes longer, but it is restful waiting - where else in Frederick plays Sati and esoteric French chamber music and gets away with it? This should be supported - please patronise the Serenity Tea Room - I certainly will before I leave.

Visited July 2013
Maryland
“Well-named”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

My husband and I have been to the Serenity Tearoom twice now. We intend to go back many more times.

The tearoom itself is a cozy parlor with 9 tables affording 22 seats. The tables are laid with spotless white lace tablecloths.

The atmosphere is tranquil, with quiet music playing in the background. I believe the music serves a double purpose in that it does not disturb quiet conversation, but does prevent conversations at other tables from overlapping.

They have an extensive tea menu including black tea, green tea, oolong, flavored teas and decaf. We prefer strong black tea, and that is what they deliver. We have had the English Breakfast tea and the Irish Breakfast tea, both of which have been rich and hearty.

One touch that enchants me is that the china teacups are all the same size, but all different patterns - so pretty! Another thing I find admirable at the Serenity Tearoom is that when we order a "cream tea" they know exactly what we mean.

Both times we've been they have had a selection of scones, but they seem to have the golden raisin scones available all the time. The scones are flaky and tender and are served warm from the oven. Besides the clotted cream they have a selection of homemade jams and fruit curds. These condiments are all worthy of the scones.

The staff is welcoming and friendly, but never intrusive. Both times we've been the owner, Blanch, has greeted us, and also visited our table before we left to see if we enjoyed our stay. It is obvious she takes pride in giving her guests a pleasant experience.

Afternoon tea at the Serenity Tearoom is a time for us to relax, converse, savor. For a little while our life is gracious and unhurried. What a gift!

• Visited July 2013