“All in the name!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: American, British
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Canberra, Australia
“All in the name!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

The Serenity Tea Room is run by a risk but very friendly woman named Blanche, who pleasantly takes you through the 65 choices of tea and a selection of very good sandwiches. I can thoroughly recommend the turkey and bacon. The tea is perfectly brewed and the sandwiches are made to order. This takes longer, but it is restful waiting - where else in Frederick plays Sati and esoteric French chamber music and gets away with it? This should be supported - please patronise the Serenity Tea Room - I certainly will before I leave.

Visited July 2013

Maryland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Well-named”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

My husband and I have been to the Serenity Tearoom twice now. We intend to go back many more times.

The tearoom itself is a cozy parlor with 9 tables affording 22 seats. The tables are laid with spotless white lace tablecloths.

The atmosphere is tranquil, with quiet music playing in the background. I believe the music serves a double purpose in that it does not disturb quiet conversation, but does prevent conversations at other tables from overlapping.

They have an extensive tea menu including black tea, green tea, oolong, flavored teas and decaf. We prefer strong black tea, and that is what they deliver. We have had the English Breakfast tea and the Irish Breakfast tea, both of which have been rich and hearty.

One touch that enchants me is that the china teacups are all the same size, but all different patterns - so pretty! Another thing I find admirable at the Serenity Tearoom is that when we order a "cream tea" they know exactly what we mean.

Both times we've been they have had a selection of scones, but they seem to have the golden raisin scones available all the time. The scones are flaky and tender and are served warm from the oven. Besides the clotted cream they have a selection of homemade jams and fruit curds. These condiments are all worthy of the scones.

The staff is welcoming and friendly, but never intrusive. Both times we've been the owner, Blanch, has greeted us, and also visited our table before we left to see if we enjoyed our stay. It is obvious she takes pride in giving her guests a pleasant experience.

Afternoon tea at the Serenity Tearoom is a time for us to relax, converse, savor. For a little while our life is gracious and unhurried. What a gift!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hagerstown, Maryland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I love this place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I really enjoyed coming here. You can try as much tea as you want, and they make adorable finger foods for you to snack on. The environment is very relaxing, and the owner was very nice to us.

My only complaint is the hours - not very agreeable with the average schedule. If you can squeeze it in, though, it is fully worth it.

Visited August 2012
Hedgesville, West Virginia
“The Best Birthday Presents”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Every February, at my request, my daughter gathers friends to celebrate my birthday at Serenity Tearoom. Couldn't be a better gift. Lovely, warm staff; great high tea with a variety of goodies on the tiered plates.

Visited February 2013
Crofton, MD
“Delightful and So Very Civilized!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

A delightful way to treat a dear friend to lunch. Wonderful setting for a long lunch, good conversation and extensive tea selection. Blanche was very attentive; food was tasty. [One drawback: Metered parking - bring quarters! Was not aware there was a parking garage further down the street] Plan on a 2 hr lunch.

• Visited April 2013