“A real gem” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Bakeries
Baltimore
“A real gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I bought the multigrain and raisin and cranberry loaves and both were wonderful. Crusty outside, moist inside. Very flavorful. Loaves are around $4,75 each which is very fair these days. Also had a beef and onion empanada and a cherry tart. These people know how to do dough!

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Boston, MA
“What an unexpected surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stumbled on Stone Hearth during the morning of a snow storm when nearly everything in Frederick had closed. I walked in and asked, "Why are you open?" the baker responded, "We've been here baking all night, why would we close now?" The gentleman who helped me was very friendly. I bought two delicious empanadas. I wasn't expecting such yummy empanadas in the US, let alone in Frederick. Everything in the case looked very tempting. I will definitely be going back. The bakery is near Shad Row as other reviewers have noted but it's on the periphery and very easy to miss. Don't miss it!

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Bets bread”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Always reliable for fresh and tasty bread. Kalamata Olive is my favorite. Other baked goods are very good, but I probably wouldn't give them a 'best' rating.

Visited December 2012
Frederick, Maryland
“Excellent bread”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Started buying their bread at local farmers markets and then realized their shop is down the street from the coffee shop I go to every weekend. I love their rye and challah bread and my husband says their cookies are very good. Big selection of everything.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Montgomery Village, Maryland
“Best fresh baked breads in Frederick”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

Several of the smaller coffee houses and restaurants get their baked goods from the Stone Hearth. I recognized their sweets being served (most satisfactory apple turnover) at a nearby, popular Shab Row eatery. Their head baker told me that they only use a sour dough starter. This surprised me because often sour dough starter can be too strong; but he keeps it subtle for the lighter, brighter dessert fare. For a quickie lunch try their made to order sandwiches - you can't get fresher than this. Parking is limited but ok. Baker, servers, sandwich makers are all smart and friendly. Take home pies and rolls remain fresh and keep well. A great experience all-round.

• Visited November 2012