“Alas, CLOSED !” 4 of 5 stars

Cross street: 2nd St
Frederick, Maryland
“Alas, CLOSED !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

What was a great place for an hour at the bar, or for some fine food, closed last Fall. It was not for lack of enthusiastic customers, so it left some of us puzzled.

In its location we now have "Pistarro's", which is serving Italian dishes, and great wood-fired pizza. I have not yet challenged the bartender, but the pizzas are well received and the carbonarra was quite nice. Some local beers are on tap, and the service is good.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Charleston, West Virginia
“Go for lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

So fancy that I almost didn't go in, but my husband was begging for a bistro style lunch. It was completely empty (2pm not being a peak lunch time, I presume) The waiter told us to sit wherever we'd like while he got our water.

We looked over the menu, decided on the white meatloaf sandwich with sweet corn bisque (me) and the club croque with sweet corn bisque (husband). Waiter brought out our drinks, took our order, brought out fancy soup spoons. We chatted a while, then the food came.

The food, the food!

My white meatloaf was so delicate, so delicious, so enrobed in its perfect melted Gruyere sheath and crisp toasted sourdough shield it felt like a sin to bite into it. I savored every last bite of it, easily taking twice the usual time to finish it. The sweet corn bisque was hardly a disappointment either, very creamy and smooth with just a touch of smokiness.

As for the club croque, it was brie, enfolded in turkey, sandwiched between two pieces of sourdough, wrapped in bacon and toasted until the bacon was done, topped with a Gruyere/brie bechamel sauce.

Now, if what I've seen of other people's price estimates are true, go for lunch! Our meal was $11 per person

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Rockville, Maryland
“29 th on tripadvisor. ?? Not for long!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

We had a great meal here, for our first visit .Having ate recently at another restaurant rated in the top 5, I can honestly say this was as good if not better.I had a cucumber and avocado gazpacho soup , delicious , husband had a beautiful plate of charcuterie .For main we tried the lamb, and the swordfish special, both very good, and good sized portions ( not too big, not too small!)- And the deserts too were delightful, bread pudding with dulce de leche, and creme caramel with a delicate hint of blood orange, so good we were fighting to taste each others.The service was good, the decor is stylish and cool, and tables nicely spaced out , and not too loud .Parking was easy too ,right outside, just so pleased we tried a lower rated place, that will definately be finding itself in the top 10 soon , We loved it all, and will be back

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Houston, Texas
“Fabulous, fabulous food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We were driving from BWI to Northern Virginia, and my usual habit to find a place to eat is to check Yelp and TripAdvisor. I want to add our data to both so you GO EAT here. We came at lunch time and I almost made a reservation via OpenTable, but didn't in case it didn't look good in person. There were only about five tables seated at ~2pm on July 3, so no problem.

I had Croque Madame and my husband had Croque Club, and both were divine. The service was quick (as it should have been) and also very cordial.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Frederick, Maryland
“Great Dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

The restaurant was a little loud, and the service wasn't so great, but the food was ace. My charcuterie was great, as was my skate. The bread pudding for desert was all it should be :) My wife made a couple of bad choices (the tuna tartar was tasteless and the lamb was tough) but our guest very much enjoyed the crab napoleon and the scallops. Over all a great meal.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere