“Great Dinner” 4 of 5 stars

Cross street: 2nd St
Frederick, Maryland
“Great Dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

The restaurant was a little loud, and the service wasn't so great, but the food was ace. My charcuterie was great, as was my skate. The bread pudding for desert was all it should be :) My wife made a couple of bad choices (the tuna tartar was tasteless and the lamb was tough) but our guest very much enjoyed the crab napoleon and the scallops. Over all a great meal.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Germantown, Maryland
“Drinks were the best part of the meal”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Last time we eat at this restaurant we were fortunate to have an outside table. Unfortunately all outside tables were taken and we were given an inside table. The inside was extremely loud. We started with a glass of lemonade and the Malbec - both of which were outstanding. For the first course we ordered the blt salad and the tuna tartar - both were enjoyable. For dinner we ordered the scallops and the prime ribeye. The scallops had a fishy smell and the entire dish didn't have much taste. The ribeye was mediocre at best. The best part of the dish was the cheesy potato gratin. We passed on dessert since nothing really stood out. Overall experience was disappointing.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Washington, DC
“Wonderfully Upscale casual”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

A great find. Casual setting, but outstanding menu and very nice wine list. Everything was done perfectly with wonderful flavor balances. This was our first dinner out since returning from France. It tasted like we hadn't left. Certainly worth a try.

Frederick, Maryland
“A new favorite in Frederick”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

We eat regularly in downtown Frederick - at least a couple of times a week. Shab Row Bistro is a bit out of the way on East Street, so we don't go there as often as we'd like, but it keeps getting better. Tonight was one of the best meals we've had anywhere in months!

Our waiter, Ben, was very helpful, professional and pleasant. A solid selection of wines, bottle and glass, and a great beer selection. Bread was very good, served with a basil/olive oil - funny looking green, but very flavorful. They also brought out an amuse bouche which was a chilled mussel on a horseradish potato salad - just a bite, but fabulous.

We started with mussels with a spicy tomato sauce. The mussels were a bit small, but the sauce was delicious.

My wife had a perfectly prepared sea bass, while I had scallops with fried polenta cakes. Both dishes were served hot, and cooked perfectly. Good size portions - not too big, but plenty of food. Everything was seasoned well - just an exceptional meal. Not inexpensive, but priced about right for the quality of food. Among the best restaurants in Frederick.

Gaithersburg,MD
“A Well Kept Secret!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

This past Saturday, my wife and I had the pleasure of dining at Shab Row Bistro and Wine Bar. We both thought it was one of the best dining experiences we have ever had. My wife had purchased an offer from TravelZoo for $59 which entitled us to two glass of wine up to $15 each or $30 off a bottle. 2 first courses up to $15 each and 2 main courses up to $35 each.

We had a 7:00 reservation and were promptly seated. The restaurant is very understated in an attractive way. THroughout our meal we noticed that most if not all of the tables were occupied but there was never a wait at the door.

We asked the waiter for a couple of suggestions which I always do. I figure they should know what is popular and good at their own place.

For her first course my wife ordered the Calamari "Risotto". No rice involved. The chef chops the calamari into rice sized pieces and it is served with sauce american, shrimp and parmesan. Simply delicious!!

I ordered the Escargot. He preparation and presentation were both very different and delicious. The escargot had shards of phyllo on them and flash fried. Looked great, great texture and taste. The mushrooms served with them were wonderful as well.

My wife ordered the scallops for dinner which were serve with polenta that was of similar size and shape as the scallops. The scallops were so sweet and perfectly cooked. The sauce served with the dish was excellent as well.

I had the pork chop. It was a large portion that was cut in half on the bias and made for a great presentation. It was served on top of a parsnip mash and a bitter green that complimented the dish very well.

Our waiter also suggested an R Stuart Autograph 2008 Pinot Noir. The cost was only $44 which means it only cost me an additional $14 from my "coupon". This wine was one of the best and most "drinkable" wines I ever have had. The next day I went online to try and find that bottle and it turns out the winery has sold out of them. They only have that wine left in a 375ml bottle which they are selling for $30. On their website, SRB is selling the 750ml for only $34.95 and only charged me $44 for it at dinner! I could not have been more pleased.

Our waiter was excellent as well. He gladly offered suggestions when asked, thoroughly explained the preparation of the dishes and made a fantastic wine recommendation. He was always available yet, never hovering.

We truly had a wonderful evening. Not sure it could have been any better! Can't wait to come back.