“Excellent Barbeque!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night
Baltimore, Maryland
“Excellent Barbeque!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

My husband and I stopped in here at the end of October during our first visit to Frederick. The BBQ was amazing. My husband also gave high marks to the corn bread which he polished off an entire order of. Atmosphere was nice and the service was friendly. Looks like the place is pretty much always busy so don't be surprised if you have to wait on Saturday at lunch time. Also it has its own parking lot which is a bonus.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

I rarely eat meat anymore, but this BBQ is scrumptious. My brother lives here and eats there every week, and now I'm a believer. I have eaten here three times, and amazingly this BBQ tastes even better than it was before. One of my favorite parts about Black Hog is that there are some picnic tables outside in the front of the restaurant. It provides some room to stretch out as you slowly savor the meal. In terms of the meat, I like the Arkansas ( in the form of a sandwich). Sloppy, sweet, and hint of bite, the Arkansas sandwich has a certain special bonus - slaw! Though the BBQ is the Pièce de résistance, all of the sides are insanely delicious. The fries and beans both are a safe bet, but the greens add another level of complexity. A good sign is that my toddler, who was there, loved every single bite that he ordered ( and some of mine too).

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ithaca, New York
“Great BBQ and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

If your looking for and great BQ place this is it! Don't wear you Sunday go to meeting suit cuz you're going to get down and dirty eating this food. I had a 1/2 rack of ribs and couldn't finish it. Delicious side dishes too. I'll come back when I'm in town again. The "wet" ribs are sloppy and the sauce a little on the rich side so you may want to try the "dry" ribs. The Burgers are good too.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Marlboro, New Jersey
“Delicious BBQ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

All of us got the BBQ platters with a choice of 1, 2 or 3 meats. All were delicious. No complaints except for the soggy French fries. And very reasonable price. $120 including tip for 6 of us. Specialty is the Arkansas BBQ. Definitely get it! Brisket was exceptional too.

general
“Excellent, affordable, authentic meal in Frederick”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We visit Black Hog BBQ frequently when we are in Frederick (which is not often--this is not a local establishment for us at all). We also bring foreign friends when touring the region (Harpers Ferry, Antietam, the old National Road etc), for them to experience authentic American BBQ. While we more usually appreciate cuisine, we aren't experts in BBQ (so if you are and disagree with this review, please accept our apologies for the rating). Our best BBQ meal was from a rural smoker in Tennessee a few years ago, Black Hog consistently comes in just below that and much better than most. Frederick has become a go-to dining town with restaurants such as Volt, but for a comfortable, affordable, excellent meal for carnivores this can't be beat.

Free off-street parking (though their lot may be full on a busy day).
Closed Sunday (we discovered this the hard way :-( ).
Plastic utensils that can't handle ribs--but you're going to wind up finishing with your fingers anyway, so surrender early.
Good choice of beers, including local (Flying Dog), no draft beer. I think there's a full bar.
Helpful staff.
Eclectic customer set, all ages and professions.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere