“Good food, fun atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Oakfield, New York
“Good food, fun atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We visited this restaurant once before, and again, it didn't disappoint. I had the pulled pork, which was very good. My husband wanted brisket, but they were out. So he ordered the Arkansas beef, and it was quite possibly the best BBQ beef I've had. And, the mac and cheese is made with real cheese...really good. The dining room is small, but service is efficient.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

86% Recommend
Hagerstown, MD
“Average barbeque”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

My girl friend and I had gone there for lunch in Aug., 2012 and loved it!! We talked about returning for months and finally got the chance to go there for dinner tonight. We were seated immediately, even though it's a Friday night and dinner time-prob. around 6 PM. The waitress came right over and got our drink orders. She asked if we had any questions and if we were ready to order. We weren't quite at that point, so she came back. I got the briskett plate with potato salad and my friend got the pulled pork and mac and cheese. The meals came with corn bread. We ate our food and paid the bill and left. On the way out, I commented to my friend, that I had remembered our meal in Aug. to be a lot better and she said the same. We aren't sure why. Not in a hurry to go back.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Baltimore, Maryland
“GREAT pulled pork and greens”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

I've been here twice and had the pulled pork sandwich both times. It's a little pricey for BBQ but the food is outstanding! The greens are probably the best I've ever had outside of the South and maybe even better. I wish it was a little bit less expensive and that coleslaw came with the barbecue sandwiches. I ate at the bar and I had very good service but there was a server that had a little bit of attitude towards the manager in front of the customers while I was there. The restaurant was filled with military personnel from the local army base which tells me that transplants from other parts of the country were coming here for "real" BBQ. YUMMY!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Maryland
“DOWNTOWN location: Good Food/Free Off Street Parking/Great Specials”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Your choice of what I call "real" bbq or what my husband loves "Carolina style", good size portions, decent prices and friendly staff.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
San Clemente, California
“Maybe the best BBQ in Frederick but Average Anywhere else”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

First off, make sure you check in advance their hours. I drove all the way to the Urbana location and found out they were closed on Sundays. What restaurant is closed for half the weekend???!!!

I made it back during the middle of the week after rave reviews of "the best BBQ in Frederick, hands down" by the front desk at the hotel I was staying in. Ok, let's try out the BBQ. I settled on the recommendation of the server for St. Louis style ribs with Memphis dry rub. The ribs had a nice smokey flavor but I'm not as big a fan of the dry rub. Ribs were average meaty and reasonably tasty. However, the sides were so unremarkable that I can't even remember what I had! I think the beans and cole slaw, but they definitely didn't carry the meal.

I travel quite a bit and have eaten BBQ all over the world. Unfortunately, the Black Hog in Urbana isn't one of those that I'm planning to remember or visit again.

• Visited December 2012