“Food is just bland” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Olney, Maryland
“Food is just bland”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

Being raised in the Southwest, I know Mexican food. This place just does not know how to season this type of food. The salsa served with the chips is like diced tomatoes. I had to ask the server for jalapenos and hot sauce to flavor the flajitas. And the shrimp for the flajitas were sizzling at one end and the tail end was cold. Not room temp, not cool, cold.. Service was very good. Very attentive but not intrusive. Decor was appropriate and the restaurant was very clean.

I suppose that if you were raised on crabcakes this food might be hot, but its not close to the real stuff.

• Visited January 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Maryland
“Excellent Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

Great place. Good authentic food. I've had some different specials here too that were exceptionally tasty. Price is reasonable for the amount and quality of food but a bit too pricey to go there all the time for lunch(on my salary anyway!). Service is good. Great place for a business luncheon. They have some separate rooms that can be reserved for no additional charge. Wait staff are nice. Place is a bit dark inside but other than that, I always like going there. I would recommend it to anyone!

• Visited January 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Frederick
“A Poor Excuse for a Bad Chef”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

We used to come here for the half chicken and seasoned rice dinner until one experience with the food that was so bad we decided not to patronize the place any more. You have to wait upon coming in for someone to appear and to seat you, and then usually they are quick to take the order. The last time we went, the server disappeard, finally came back to take our order, and when my half chicken came, it was as if they had dumped the salt shaker all over it on purpose. I called the server back over and sent the dish back, explaining that I had had this several times before and it was never like this. She in turn called the manager over, I had to explain all over again, and he got defensive, telling me that "his brother was the chef and that he always made this dish that way." In other words, that I didn't know why I was complaining. He reluctantly took it away, and I asked him to credit the bill. I didn't want another selection from that "chef." So we got the bill and got out. I would have tried going back again but the manager's attitude that night was so poor, we just didn't bother. There are too many other, good restaurants in the area to put up with unnecessary insolence.

Visited September 2011
Frederick, Maryland
“Enjoyable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

We have eaten at Mexicali Cantina serveral times since moving to the area. The resturant seems to do pretty good business. The food for the most part is good, but definitely not the best mexican food that I have had before, though it may be the best in the area.

The restaurant is clean and the staff is always nice. We have never had to wait for a table and the food usually comes out pretty quick and hot!

• Visited October 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Martinsburg, Pennsylvania
“A Great Lunch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

Don't let the strip mall location put you off - once again tripadvisor gave us a good recommendation. We were surprised to find linen napkins and tablecloths at lunch, but expected and received the great service other reviewers wrote about.

I don't remember what it was called, but the skewer of chicken, steak, and sausage that I ordered was grilled perfectly and presented with a tangy sauce that really pleased the palate. My wife ordered the sautéed tilapia which was also well received. Don't forget the flan for dessert!

• Visited December 2011