“Ask for Building 1 front side” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #18 of 21 Hotels in Frederick
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“Ask for Building 1 front side”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Followed some implied advice from previous reviewers and requested a room in building one. Clearly the updated part. Still no fridge/microwave which was annoying. Clean enough for fifty bucks a night. Didn't see any bugs and the bedding was clean. Pillows felt fresh. Not a huge room, but we had a crib squeezed in and could still walk around. A/C the typical loudish unit. I'll say this, though--we were a bit worried because we had people on both sides, but never heard them. They might have had a less quiet experience with our toddlers early next morning, though. We didn't even look at the continental breakfast since the area at checkout looked like it couldn't be more than coffee and we don't drink the stuff. Anyway, in an updated room, it was good enough to feel like we got our money's worth, but wouldn't have liked to pay more. It's nice that they're all walk-ups since the property is 1 story. It's convenient to everything.

Room Tip: Request the first building (where the office is)...the front side is definitely updated, I don't...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Martinsburg, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We always have a great stay. Nice hotel for the price. Our experience is always good. The rooms were comfortable and the staff is very helpful. We prefer to stay here whenever we have any assignments in Frederick area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

I usually stay at other Choice branded hotels, but based on price I chose to stay here. If I had not paid in advance, I would have left immediately. The building is extremely old. The door to the room was difficult to open from the inside, and had a gap of at least half an inch at the top. I will give credit to Ike at the front desk, he is extremely helpful and professional. He had helped me change the dates on my reservation by phone when the web site was giving me trouble. When I checked the room and found no coffee pot---sorry, but that is a must!-- he arranged to have one put in the room.
The plumbing needs major repairs, the knobs and the (very short) shower head are not anchored in the wall. The carpet is stained, the furniture is stained, the walls have peeling paint and stains.
Despite Ike's efforts, I would never stay here again, nor could I recommend it to others

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Falls Church, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I guess I should preface this by saying I should have expected this considering it is a 2-star hotel. My budget was tight for this stay so I went with Econo Lodge over another hotel on the list that ranked lower but was about $50 more for the week. My rate was $57/night which isn't bad but overall, I wasn't very happy with the room. Everything looked old and the room had a very stale smell which drove me crazy by my fifth night. I also didn't like that it's a one-level hotel with the room doors accessible to the public/parking lot. Constantly felt like someone was about to kick in the door and rob me. This didn't happen and the area isn't THAT bad, or doesn't appear to be.

I don't want to completely bash the place so I will mention that the service, for a 2-star hotel, wasn't all that bad. The cleaning staff did a decent job.

Would I stay here again? Probably not. I'd probably try another hotel and pay the extra $50 or so for the week.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Greenville, South Carolina, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

I drove from Sc to Md straight no stops. I am a diamond member at choice so I reserved a room at econo lodge.. I was going to arrive that night but I got lost and didnt arrive to the next morning. I asked if I checked in at 6 would I still have to be out at 11 and he said yes. I was going to pay for a whole day and 5 hrs later I would owe again .. I was so tired and could not believe he would let me do an early check in or at least pro-rate the price.. I had to call choice to find another hotel and they helped me. While I was falling asleep in my car talking to choice and getting directions this dude was acting like he was going to call the police as if the area was not bad enough I had to sit in a scary abandon parking lot until I got confirmation for Comfort Inn just miles down the way.. Comfort Inn was very glad to have me and let me check in right away and sleep with no interruptions and they did pro-rate me way better area.. from what I could see Econo was nasty and very low budget... Scary and we was treated like criminals ... I really am tired of Econo's everywhere Choice hotels need to drop them

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

My husband and I are simple and do not require the bells and whistles of fancy hotels! We were in town for a wedding and decided to go with less expensive so we could stay for two nights to make a weekend of it!

However, staff does not wear shirts with the hotel name. I answered the door to a man asking if he could come in? I said why and he said he was there to fix the toilet that was running. My husband returned from bringing luggage to okay it. If my husband did not return at that time, I would not have let the man in.

Also, the cleanliness was gross! Dirty carpets and stained furniture! And, you shut the door and it did not completely shut, you could see light coming through!

Maybe this is just us, but, there wasn't even a clock in the room.

We have state at other Econo Lodges, we will not be returning to this one! It was shady/seedy!

The second night we moved to Holiday Inn, which was much better!

You get what you pay for...

• Stayed May 2013

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!