“Amazing Post-Thanksgiving Brunch” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Volt is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 319 restaurants in Frederick
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Between 2nd and 3rd Street
“Amazing Post-Thanksgiving Brunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2010

Volt proves that Brian Voltaggio at the very least deserved to be a Top Chef finalist. We walked into Volt around 11 a.m. the day after Thanksgiving, hoping that they'd be serving their no-reservation express lunch at noon. Instead, the maitre d' managed to find my son and I a lovely dining room table for their $35 3 course brunch. The highlight was my son's marinated hanger steak, grilled to medium-rare perfection and served atop grits, fried diced potatoes with spinach & a 68 degree egg. We experinced a lot of fun Top Chef technique like foam and a deconstructed goatcheese cheesecake dessert. The atmosphere was cool yet cozy and service was terrific -- and Brian himself was visible in da house, a real thrill for my foodie son. We were sent back out into the cold with a to-go cup of coconut hot chocolate topped with marshmallow and a packet of two chocolate chip cookies. A perfect and perfectly thoughtful ending to a pretty perfect meal.

79% Recommend
Westminster, Maryland
“Went for Brunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2010

My friend and I went for brunch yesterday afternoon. We made our reservations about six weeks in advance and received the last slot of 1:30. We arrived around 1:20, and then were told to wait in the bar area until we could be seated. We waited until 2pm, and then headed back up to the hostess to ask if our table was available. They seemed frazzled and to have forgotten about us. And we were seated right away. (After lunch my friend realized she had a voicemail from the hostess at 1:45 asking us where we were) I think they need to be better organized and hire someone with experience up front.

The brunch was delicious. I highly recommend the ravioli, french toast and the apple tart. We enjoyed the cookies they gave us to go.

It's only $25 per person for brunch, and I'm glad we went to that instead of dinner. I'm not sure if I could see spending hundreds of dollars there. I'd go back again though.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Arlington, Virginia
“Absolutely wonderful and tasty”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

My wife and I have eaten at Volt three times, most recently on 31 July 2010, and all three meals have been superb. The food is delicious and inventive, and the service is great. We also find the portion sizes ample but not so large as to make you feel like you've overeaten by the end. We also like that the restaurant is relatively quiet, which makes for a wonderful environment for celebrating a special occasion. We highly recommend this restaurant to anyone willing to make the journey to Frederick, Maryland.

Fairfax County, VA
“Avoid the Red Wattle Pork”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

I was looking forward to eating at Volt. We planned our Civil War Battleground tour so we could stay in Frederick, MD and eat at Volt. The restaurant is lovely. The wait people, servers, and Sommelier were impeccable. Sidea-purified water at no extra charge is excellent when restaurants charge from $1 to $3.50 per person elsewhere. The ravioli were excellent, just too few. The PROBLEM was with the Red Wattle Pork. I asked the waitperson SPECIFICALLY how it was cooked. She told me it was slow-roasted for hours. The pork was TERRIBLE, TOUGH, INEDIBLE. I should have sent it back. It had no flavor and was impossible to chew. The General Manager came and asked me how the food was and I told him HOW BAD the pork dish was and that if I were judging Chef Voltaggio on that dish on Iron Chef, he would get a really low score. Then, the GM told me the pork was cooked SOUS VIDE, not slow roasted (a method that would have yielded flavor and tenderness). So, shortcuts were taken on my dish--an expensive entree at $31. Passing off a poorly prepared expensive menu item that was supposed to be prepared a different way altogether is, in my view, fraudulent. I was so happy to be there that my instincts didn't kick in until I left that I should have sent that HORRIBLE PORK BACK TO THE KITCHEN. I won't be going out of my way to visit Volt again. I will go straight to Vetri in Philly.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Washington, DC
“An Amazing Table 21 Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

We recently had an absolutely amazing meal at Table 21. It consists of 21 courses served over about 3.5 hours. The portions are perfect in that you taste enough to get the full flavor of the dish and yet can actually eat all 21 courses. It is also wonderful to sit in the kitchen and witness the preparation first hand. Courses vary daily, ours included seven different kinds of seafood (tuna, sturgeon, artic char, hamachi, barramundi, lobster, scallop) plus chicken, lamb, beef and several desserts. There are no wine pairings, but there 4 of us and so we followed the recommendation of one bottle each of champagne, white, and finished with red. The only other thing to mention is that while Chef Bryan V. is a wonderful chef, he appeared to be on the shy side when we were there. We had to ask that he come back to the kitchen so that we could meet him and chat briefly. He was happy to speak with us when we made the request, but it was not something I think he would have done absent our request.