“Awsome Food, OK service” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Volt is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 330 Restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Between 2nd and 3rd Street
Description: VOLT offers guests a menu of modern American cuisine. The focus of our cuisine is based on classic flavor combinations, creating sophisticated dishes that emphasize purity and seasonal flavors that are based on fundamental and innovative cooking techniques. VOLT's relationship with local artisan farmers ensures availability of products to fulfill the philosophy behind the menu, in a refined, historic venue where classic meets modern. By design, the restaurant follows along the original footprint of the mansions first floor parlors. Both the 38 seat main dining room and the bar/lounge open off the foyer. The original mosaic tile in the foyer was the inspiration behind the warm monochromatic color palette that adorns the finishes in VOLT. Private dining can be hosted in the conservatory offering views of the expansive courtyard. The 700 square foot kitchen afforded space to include up to 20 guests.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Awsome Food, OK service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2010

We went to "Volt" on Friday, June 11, 2010. We had a reservation at 9:00 p.m. We arrived on time and the hostess told us that we had to wait 10 minutes because our table was not ready. We waited at the bar (nice ambiance) where they have a webcam and you can see what is going on in the kitchen. We got seated at 9:25 p.m. The waiting was worth it. The food was amazingly excellent.
The last great meals I had were: 1.- on Christmas day last year (2009) at Michel Rostang's restaurant at the Malliouhana Resort in Anguilla, and 2.- November 2009 at Michel Richard's Citronelle in Washington, DC.
Volt is destined for 3 stars in the Michelin Guide just because of the food.
Their service needs some improvement. Volt needs professional hostess and waiters. The two girls at the podium at the door give you the impression that were hired yesterday from the local high school. The 32 year old Chef Bryan Voltaggio does not know--yet--that he is seating on a gold mine. The service is nice but it lacks of "something" or little more training. The Menu has 4 courses. Skip the dessert. Just go for the First, Second, and Main courses Go for gelato across the street. Parking is easy. They have a lot next door but if it is full, street parking (meters) is easy.
I wanted to make a reservation to eat in the kitchen at table 21 (table seats 8 and you get 21 courses) but it is booked until March of 2011 !!!
I am planning to go back as often as I can.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Frederick, Maryland
“An Experience To Have At Least Once”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2010

I visited 2x, before the Top Chef stardom (just now catching up on my reviews), and would recommend a visit to everyone - at least once. I do not have the money to eat this high class very often. I took my entire family as a Christmas treat and I believe I am still paying on this. Both of my visits provided wonderful dishes and wonderful service. My steak was incredible - never had anything like it prior or since. Dessert was nothing to write home about, but it was good. Everything I could think of or imagine was taken care of by the staff. When I save up some money I plan to return.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great place for special occasion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2010

Food and service were excellent. Primary waiter was attentive and well informed regarding the food. Helpful with identifying/modifying menu items for vegetarians. The location of our table was such that we did not have the crowded sense that others have noted. Only complaint is the reservation process. There are tables available when the online system says there are none. No live person EVER answers the phone - must wait for a call-back which will take at least a day.

Baltimore, Maryland
“Great food, but with sort of an awkward atmosphere...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2010

My husband and I finally ate lunch at Volt today. The food was amazing and the wait staff was very attentive. Their chicken risotto dish is amazing, it was probably the best tasting chicken I have ever had! The portions of food are rather small though, so I think my husband may have left a little bit hungry.

One thing I have to say is that the atmosphere could have been a lot better and more inviting. Maybe this was just due to our extremely awkward waiter...or the fact that the dining area is rather tiny and makes you feel as if everyone can hear your conversation. I think the dining area should definitely be expanded so that they can serve more tables at once, as well as provide a less cramped atmosphere.

I would definitely recommend this restaurant for anyone looking to eat some delicious fine dining, being prepared for small portions and a semi-expensive bill. If any other these aspects does not sound appealing to you, then it probably will not be your thing. However, the food is great and overall it is definitely worth eating at Volt!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
McLean, Virginia
“Over-rated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2010

I wanted to like it - I really did. Famous chef, great location, nice old building. However, for the price, it was not as good as meals I've had other places in Frederick alone, to say nothing of the DC/Baltimore area. I had the 5 course tasting "kitchen" menu. Everything was unique, and I certainly appreciated the effort and them trying to push the envelope of cuisine, but the results were most often bland and formless in my mouth. Our table was badly located with the staff having to reach over 2 diners to reach the one in the back corner.

I did enjoy a very creative cocktail before the meal, sparkling wine mixed with jalapeno sauce and other interesting ingredients that was very good and surprising. And, the wine pairings were well chosen.

Still, overall it didn't add up to what I had hoped it would be, or add up to the price charged.

• 2 of 5 stars Food