“Fantastic meal, wonderful service” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Volt is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 330 Restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Between 2nd and 3rd Street
Description: VOLT offers guests a menu of modern American cuisine. The focus of our cuisine is based on classic flavor combinations, creating sophisticated dishes that emphasize purity and seasonal flavors that are based on fundamental and innovative cooking techniques. VOLT's relationship with local artisan farmers ensures availability of products to fulfill the philosophy behind the menu, in a refined, historic venue where classic meets modern. By design, the restaurant follows along the original footprint of the mansions first floor parlors. Both the 38 seat main dining room and the bar/lounge open off the foyer. The original mosaic tile in the foyer was the inspiration behind the warm monochromatic color palette that adorns the finishes in VOLT. Private dining can be hosted in the conservatory offering views of the expansive courtyard. The 700 square foot kitchen afforded space to include up to 20 guests.
Burlington, Vermont
“Fantastic meal, wonderful service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

WOW! This was one of the best meals I have ever eaten. We all ate off the tasting menu and it was simply one delight after another. Each dish was tiny, perfect and featured roasting, pickling or searing each ingredient separately to bring out the flavors. This sounds like it could have been busy, but it wasn't - it was just fantastic. The first course I had featured roasted grapefruit combined with a delicate fish and other ingredients that made the whole thing come together perfectly. I could have stopped right there! But each course built on that. Each dish had its unique flavor and ingredients but followed beautifully from the previous one. Three of us had the "meat-featured" tasting menu and one had the "vegetable-featured". I had a few tastes of the veggie one and it was just as fabulous. I need to avoid gluten and our server was very helpful communicating with the kitchen and making sure that everything worked perfectly, giving me a substitution for one dish so that I actually had an item off the veggie menu (it was fabulous). She also managed to do it by communicating with me quietly rather than making a song and dance about it to the whole table, for which I was very grateful.

This is a very expensive place, but totally worth it for the food and the dining experience. We had a wonderful and special dinner that made driving all the way to Frederick worth it.

• Visited June 2014

Washington, DC
“Amazing meal, well worth a drive to Frederick”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

This was one of the most memorable meals I have had in recent years. It started with a little "amuse bouche" which was light and delicate, like a mararon but with a savory sauce. Then followed four small courses, including a foie gras mousse, a lobster raviolo, a perfectly done halibut, and a chocolate dessert of several different types of chocolate. Everything was inventive, flavorful, and beautifully presented. The service was incredibly attentive, with our water glasses kept full, and a waiter coming to ask how we liked every course. It was a lovely summer night and we sat out on the patio. The only downside was that it got a bit buggy toward twilight.

I would definitely recommend Volt, especially for a big occasion, when you are in the mood for a lot of courses and are willing to spend the money.

• Visited July 2014
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
“Best Vegetarian Tasting Menu EVER IN HISTORY”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I could go on and on about Volt, but it's hard to add to what others have said here. So I will focus on one point about the food. My wife and I both got tasting menus, but she opted for the vegetarian option. We each tasted each others' dishes. I have never had a better vegetarian meal in my life. Not even close. Not even in the same universe.

For me the most ingenious vegetarian dish was made of morel mushrooms on a porridge of steel cut oats, ramps, kombu and brown butter, and sea lettuces, and some kind of beer emulsion. It blew my mind. I may never forget that bite.

Beyond the food I also enjoyed the service, clearing away dishes and silverware with each course in a somewhat showy way. For this price, the service ought to be very competent as well as a bit of a production.

We also had a seat facing the part of the kitchen where they were plating, and the precision of that was fun to watch. Graeme Ritchie, Bryan Voltaggio's sous chef and winner of the "Battle of the Sous Chefs" in Top Chef Masters season 5, was in the kitchen when we were there.

One thing I would add about the meal was the excellent consistency across 6 dishes each x 2 tasting menus (12 total dishes). This is no doubt due in part to Ritchie, but I asked our server how often Voltaggio comes by the restaurant and he said almost every night. To the extent that it is true, that hands on approach certainly counts for something.

Probably the second best meal I have had, behind Fleur de Lys in San Francisco.

• Visited November 2013
Rockville, Maryland
“Very accurate reviews!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014

My husband and I eventually decided to try Volt after driving past it on our way to others many times .
Previous not so flowing reviews were very accurate .
We were unfortunately sat right by a
waiting area for the staff, and an area to assemble the cutlery , not particularly good for a romantic dinner .
As we chose the tasting menu and wine pairing, there was a constant buzzing around us of servers changing our cutlery and glassware for every course .
The food was nice , 2 of the courses were excellent , very minute though , and the rest were a little disappointing , especially the chocolate desert .
We love fine food, good service and a nice atmosphere , sadly none of which were delivered to the standard I had assumed for a 250$ meal .
There are so many better, relaxed , amazing options in frederick it totally explains it's No 8 ranking on trip advisor .

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
“A Don't Miss !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

There’s not much else that I can add that hasn’t already been written in other 5 Star reviews of Volt.

The Service is top notch, with a very youthful, energetic and knowledgeable staff. The main dining room is bright and lively without the high decibel level you sometimes have in a restaurant where every table is taken.

The food is incredible, with flavors that just pop! There were 5 of us so we had the opportunity to sample many items from the regular menu. To try to name the best would be almost impossible so I’ll just name a few that shouldn’t be missed.

The English Pea with Jonah Crab was amazingly fresh with the gentle taste of peas throughout the dish, including the foam.

Spring Garlic with chanterelle mushrooms was totally different from any other mushroom dishes we have ever tried.

The Pork Belly with pickled green strawberry and the Beef Short Rib cooked over embers with charred leeks were both amazing. I thought the Black Bass beat out the Halibut but both were delicious.

The list could go on and on.

For reservations, you must call starting at 9 am (?) 1 month in advance of the date you want to go. Expect to be hitting “redial” on your phone until you finally get through. You will be rewarded for your patience.

With some cocktails, wines by the glass and a couple of beers, the bill, with tax and tip, came to around $145 per person. Expensive but well worth it.

• Visited June 2014