“Spectacular food” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Volt is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 320 Restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Between 2nd and 3rd Street
Description: VOLT offers guests a menu of modern American cuisine. The focus of our cuisine is based on classic flavor combinations, creating sophisticated dishes that emphasize purity and seasonal flavors that are based on fundamental and innovative cooking techniques. VOLT's relationship with local artisan farmers ensures availability of products to fulfill the philosophy behind the menu, in a refined, historic venue where classic meets modern. By design, the restaurant follows along the original footprint of the mansions first floor parlors. Both the 38 seat main dining room and the bar/lounge open off the foyer. The original mosaic tile in the foyer was the inspiration behind the warm monochromatic color palette that adorns the finishes in VOLT. Private dining can be hosted in the conservatory offering views of the expansive courtyard. The 700 square foot kitchen afforded space to include up to 20 guests.
Melbourne, Australia
“Spectacular food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

There is no doubting the the food here was great (the lamb was perfect, as was the calamari bolognese) but some dishes missed the mark (the carrots with cheese snow?). Moreover the price ranges for what are essentially small tasting plates was astronomical.

Similarly the wine list had some excellent choices but all straying into the very high price range. A glass of wine recommended to us was also not very good.

The service was very attentive and knowledgeable but occasionally a little condescending (not sure that's the right word). The waiter gave us the impression we had somehow chosen our dishes poorly.

All in all it was interesting dinner event but I think other restaurants (even with similar concepts, like Charleston in Baltimore) offer a better overall experience.

MD
“Not my style...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

I understand that VOLT is a top chef restaurant and in being so, I found the food delicious. Almost everything we ate had some sort of a surprising taste in it. What I didn't appreciate was the portions that we were given. I don't mind paying higher price for dinner if it matches what I receive but paying 28$ for short ribs and 21$ for squab and there was virtually nothing to share because the portions were too small...apparently we were told this is a European style of dining. I have been to Europe and portions that small are called tapas found in Spain. So all in all, the food was delicious but the portions to small...just not my style of dinner.

Baltimore, Maryland
“A delicious experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Our son and his wife, who live in California, presented us with gift cards for VOLT last year. Our other children and their spouses who live nearby have all enjoyed their experiences at VOLT and were eager for us to go.
We made a weekend of it and used the occasion to celebrate our anniversary and husband's birthday!
We were not disappointed... It was suggested by children and staff to order at least 3-4 courses and not duplicate., so we checked out the menu online before visiting.
This type of dining was a new adventure for us and we thoroughly enjoyed every minute. The staff was helpful, knowledgeable and encouraging. We felt like we had made the right choice at every level.
You place your complete order at the start, then sit back, relax and enjoy excellent food, information regarding the source of your courses, entr'acte amuse-bouche, and surprise cinnamon coffee cakes for the next day, all in fun eclectic surroundings.
We hope to return next year for our 35th anniversary and a weekend of exploring Frederick and Civil War sites.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
silver spring
“Creative cooking and relaxed vibe at Volt”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

We went for our anniversary and I was very pleased with the choice. The setting is lovely, a historic townhouse with updated modern lighting, sparely decorated but comfortable. I thought it was a bit bright, though some who don't like dim, candlelit restaurants might appreciate the lighting. The cocktails were well-crafted, which is to be expected in a high-end dining room, and were also reasonably priced for the setting. As is also typical of high-end modern restaurants, the dishes were very small portions, so it makes sense to order at least four and as many as five courses from the a la carte menu or else go with the 6 course $95 tasting menu if you and everyone else at your table like the sound of everything that is being offered that night. Overall, I thought the executions were creative and tasty but in some cases a bit one-dimensional.If I were to quibble there was a bit too much sweetness in some of the dishes. The cocoa beet salad needed some salt or some sort of smoky meat accent to offset the sweetness of the beets and cocoa crumble, and the apple wheat roll was much too sweet to go with the particular dry white wine we were drinking. I enjoyed the unusual calamari bolognese with squid ink cavatelli, and the black bass in particular, but the arctic char, while very good, was more like an appetizer serving of olive oil infused gravlax, which I didn't quite expect as it was not described as such. One odd aspect of the menu is that not all the dishes are described in detail, some just list the ingredients while others describe the preparation so there is a bit of a surprise aspect, which may be what the chef is going for here. If I were to compare Volt to the Tasting Room and the a la carte dining room at Restaurant Eve, Volt is more of a cool kid in attitude and style. However you will get better value, more "luxe" ingredients, and a higher level of cuisine and pampering at Restaurant Eve, for basically the same cost.

Northern Virginia
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I was looking forward to my first visit to VOLT, and I was not disappointed! My sister and I were there for Sunday Brunch. When all four breads presented (we split each one, wanting to try them all) were so flavorful and different, I knew we were in for a treat. First course: I chose the tuna and my sister had the beet salad. Second course: scallops for my sister and lamb for me. And dessert was this wonderful chocolate chip cookie frozen custard with peanuts and marshmallow. The entire meal was absolutely amazing! Bonus: we were sitting right near the open kitchen and were able to watch the staff work their magic. I am already looking forward to going back!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere