“Food may be worth the price, but wines definitively are not” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Volt is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 329 Restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Between 2nd and 3rd Street
Description: VOLT offers guests a menu of modern American cuisine. The focus of our cuisine is based on classic flavor combinations, creating sophisticated dishes that emphasize purity and seasonal flavors that are based on fundamental and innovative cooking techniques. VOLT's relationship with local artisan farmers ensures availability of products to fulfill the philosophy behind the menu, in a refined, historic venue where classic meets modern. By design, the restaurant follows along the original footprint of the mansions first floor parlors. Both the 38 seat main dining room and the bar/lounge open off the foyer. The original mosaic tile in the foyer was the inspiration behind the warm monochromatic color palette that adorns the finishes in VOLT. Private dining can be hosted in the conservatory offering views of the expansive courtyard. The 700 square foot kitchen afforded space to include up to 20 guests.
Bethesda, Maryland
“Food may be worth the price, but wines definitively are not”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

We were seated in the general dining area, and ordered protein tasting menu ($95 per person). The food was excellent, and the whole dining experience was wonderful as it lasted almost 3 hours, which is great. Despite small portions, we ended up being really full at the end, as the long dining experience allowed our brains to register all the food eaten over the course of three hours. However, I must mention how expensive the wines were, as it made our dining experience unpleasant. They offer wine tasting options to go with each meal at $65 per person, but we opted for a $90 Cab from Argentina, which believe it or not, was one of the cheapest bottles there. The atmosphere in the main dining room was boring, the servers lacked charm, and although the food was very interesting, the wine prices and the sterile feeling of the main dining room were rather disappointing. In conclusion, although the food was excellent,and we enjoyed having a long, protracted dining experience, it wasn't worth $350 for two.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Spartanburg, South Carolina
“One of the best meals ever...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

And I say that after having eaten at Bouley's in NYC just a couple of weeks prior to going to Volt. This is one of the best deals for a chef's tasting menu that you will find. And the food is absolutely delicious. Every course was an unique blend of textures and flavors that delighted the palate. If you're in the area, don't miss Volt!

Herndon, Virginia
“Did not dissapoint”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I've been wanting to go to Volt since it first opened and finally made it. The food and the service were top notch. I'm not a huge fan of lamb but my husband enjoys it so we ordered it, it was phenomenal! The beef coulotte was also fantastic and even better than steaks I've had at top-notch steak houses. Another favorite was the sourdough linguini, delicious. We were celebrating our anniversary and received a complimentary ice cream dessert with a candle which was a nice touch. The service couldn't have been better, although it did take a while for my husband to get the second cocktail he ordered. Mine came out but he waited another 5 minutes to get his.

While we have no complaints, we will not rush back. It's about an hour from our house and there are restaurants that are just as good closer by in DC. After this experience, we will definitely add Voltaggio's DC restaurant, Range, to our list of must try restaurants.

Baltimore, Maryland
“Best Meal Ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Six of us went drive for over an hour to go to Volt for dinner, feeling a little grumpy about the 5:30 dinner reservation(which has to do with their leisurely-paced dining experience we discovered) but it was a WOW! of an evening. We had the best food, the best service, in a wonderful setting--everything was top notch. I can't rave enough about the food--creative small plates that allow you to savor intriguing flavor combinations. Who knew that beets and chocolate were exquisite together??? The service was superb, carefully orchestrated and well executed by pleasant and attentive wait staff. We had drinks in the bar, which is comfortable and stylish and invites you to linger. We were seated in the room with the chef's table so we could see some of the kitchen magic happening, which was fun. A wonderful special occasion restaurant and all were delighted with the evening and plan to return regularly.

steelton
“Broaden your horizons”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I started out by quibbling with the bartender about the glass my cocktail came in. Then I saw the iced tea being served with ice cubes made from iced tea, and I realized I must not have been paying attention. So I quickly flagged the bartender and - in so many words - said "Do whatever you want, I am in your hands". And that's my advice to anyone who dines with the talent located at Volt. My 'white light' was served in the glass they intended, and I would have it no other way.

Then came the food. I'm a little concerned here that I won't be able to do them justice. Just go into it knowing that the plate in front of you will be the result of talent and love. There may be an ingredient you've never heard of. Trust that they have figured out how to include it. Your sense of adventure will not be marred.

The food is matched by the service. Isn't it usually true that one outshines the other? Let them guide you through the evening. They have this great, friendly, relaxed confidence. It occurs to me that you have to be very smart to make it look this easy.