“Best Meal Ever!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Volt is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 320 restaurants in Frederick
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Between 2nd and 3rd Street
Description: VOLT offers guests a menu of modern American cuisine. The focus of our cuisine is based on classic flavor combinations, creating sophisticated dishes that emphasize purity and seasonal flavors that are based on fundamental and innovative cooking techniques. VOLT's relationship with local artisan farmers ensures availability of products to fulfill the philosophy behind the menu, in a refined, historic venue where classic meets modern. By design, the restaurant follows along the original footprint of the mansions first floor parlors. Both the 38 seat main dining room and the bar/lounge open off the foyer. The original mosaic tile in the foyer was the inspiration behind the warm monochromatic color palette that adorns the finishes in VOLT. Private dining can be hosted in the conservatory offering views of the expansive courtyard. The 700 square foot kitchen afforded space to include up to 20 guests.
Baltimore, Maryland
“Best Meal Ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Six of us went drive for over an hour to go to Volt for dinner, feeling a little grumpy about the 5:30 dinner reservation(which has to do with their leisurely-paced dining experience we discovered) but it was a WOW! of an evening. We had the best food, the best service, in a wonderful setting--everything was top notch. I can't rave enough about the food--creative small plates that allow you to savor intriguing flavor combinations. Who knew that beets and chocolate were exquisite together??? The service was superb, carefully orchestrated and well executed by pleasant and attentive wait staff. We had drinks in the bar, which is comfortable and stylish and invites you to linger. We were seated in the room with the chef's table so we could see some of the kitchen magic happening, which was fun. A wonderful special occasion restaurant and all were delighted with the evening and plan to return regularly.

79% Recommend
steelton
“Broaden your horizons”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I started out by quibbling with the bartender about the glass my cocktail came in. Then I saw the iced tea being served with ice cubes made from iced tea, and I realized I must not have been paying attention. So I quickly flagged the bartender and - in so many words - said "Do whatever you want, I am in your hands". And that's my advice to anyone who dines with the talent located at Volt. My 'white light' was served in the glass they intended, and I would have it no other way.

Then came the food. I'm a little concerned here that I won't be able to do them justice. Just go into it knowing that the plate in front of you will be the result of talent and love. There may be an ingredient you've never heard of. Trust that they have figured out how to include it. Your sense of adventure will not be marred.

The food is matched by the service. Isn't it usually true that one outshines the other? Let them guide you through the evening. They have this great, friendly, relaxed confidence. It occurs to me that you have to be very smart to make it look this easy.

McLean, Virginia
“For true foodies and/or special occasions- great but super expensive!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Very interesting mix of ingredients in all dishes. Unique presentation and offering. Great tasting dishes. Lots of special occasions going on all around the evening I went. Glad to have gone but likely wouldn't go again unless a very special occasion due to prices. Note that I went on a Saturday night and very loud atmosphere as noted by my guest and I. Also note that the 6 course tasting menu didn't have a price on it but with 3 glasses of wine and each of two people getting the tasting menu, it was $150/person w/alcohol and tip/tax. I did appreciate their care on the food allergies I communicated to them as they switched out a dish that had one of the food items and came to clearly let me know which dishes they had taken the allergen out of. Very few restaurants take that much care/detail on that and it was appreciated. Staff is SUPER nice/professional and detailed. The building exterior is architecturally gorgeous and they have a small /free parking lot attached.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Canberra, Australia
“Believer or agnostic in a cathedral of fine dining?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Restaurants are a bit like cathedrals, and diners are are a bit like communicants, worshipping at the shrine of the god-chef. In that case, Volt is one of the stations of the cross in the gourmet's journey in search of gustatory sustenance - and that means that the experience is more than the physical ingestion of food-as-fuel. Complaining that Volt's portions are small, or that the army serves better food suggests that those critics have missed the point. A communion wafer is not a supposed to fill you up, and Volt's tiny, esoteric portions are not supposed to leave you loosening your belt. Everything from the palaver of securing reservations, the impressive reception, to the detailed instructions issued to diners, to the elaborate serving rituals (the artfully mis-matched plates, the explanations of ingredients and combinations); everything is intended to impose upon the diner the understanding that this is not just a meal, but is a Dining Experience. If you are already a believer in the modern cult of Food then Volt will deepen and reward your faith. If (like me) it all seems a bit silly, then you will find its seriousness all a bit risible. Yes, the portions are minute and the combinations (strawberries, peanuts, ham and cheese?) either surprising, unsettling or faintly nauseating. It's all presented with an earnestness that admits of no whimsy or disbelief. The surprising thing (to me) was that while I found that pleasures of edible foam limited, and some combinations as discordant as I had feared, I did enjoy several of the sensations of new falvours - the raw tuna and avocado was lovely, and the entire experience, though pricey and ridiculous in the manner of its delivery, was enjoyable. But I felt as I often feel in cathedrals, enjoying the results of a belief I do not share. Volt does not easily lend itself to the five-star rating scale. If you think that food should be ingested like this it's obviously going to rate highly. If you think food is just for nourishment, then its pretensions will rate poorly. But I'm not giving it five stars, because I think that its pretension should not be rewarded or encouraged.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Olney, Maryland
“Delicious, GF Accommodating at a Price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

This is a tough call because the flavors were delicious, the presentation was creative and the setting was very comfortable. But it's impossible to accept the portions and prices here without speaking up. My wife, who needs to be gluten-free, was accommodated nicely with the soft shell crab, meyer lemon, caper, celeriac creation. It tasted so good but was basically a child's portion with miserly pieces of crab. I had the monkfish which also was superb, but small. Worst of all: the wine prices. I realize restaurants really try to pad the profits with wine markups. My wife and I are big fans of Rochioli wines. We were thrilled to see them on the wine list here but then were brought quickly down to earth when we saw the $45 retail Sauvignon Blanc was astoundingly over $90. The chardonnay exceeded $120, also easily double the retail price. We've been to some incredibly good restaurants. The tastes here matched some of the best of them. But were the servings worth the cost? Put the money in your gas tank and drive to Woodberry Kitchen.

• Visited June 2013