“so dirty and you have to leave your room unlocked!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hill House Bed and Breakfast

Hill House Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Frederick
Hill House Bed and Breakfast
Save Saved
You added Hill House Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
12 West Third Street, P.O. Box 4124, Frederick, MD 21705   |
Ranked #5 of 6 Frederick B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“so dirty and you have to leave your room unlocked!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

We booked a room at this place because we were going to dinner at Volt. The B&B is so gross and dirty. There was no one to help with our luggage and we had to walk up 3 flights of stairs. The carpet and bedding is so old and tacky. We each only got one pillow to sleep on. Also, the weirdest thing ever is that there is an old stained wedding dress in the closet in our bedroom. There are framed pictures in the bedroom and bathroom of random people that appear to have been taken recently at a family event of some sort (perhaps a holiday party or Thanksgiving). The towels are so worn down. You can hear every noise someone makes. I could hear the person's cell phone ringing in the next room. I've stayed at a number of great B&Bs, but this place is a dump. There is no way to lock the door to your room and the whole time at dinner I kept thinking about whether it was stolen.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

I had a lovely one night stay at the Hill House. I found the proprietors very accommodating - I had a long drive to the inn, and they greeted me warmly when I arrived. I stayed in the Mexican room, which was comfortable and beautifully appointed. I wandered around the corner for dinner - great choices abound. I went to Volt but next time I would want to try The Tasting Room. The next morning, Damian served breakfast early to accommodate my schedule - and off I went to Baltimore. Wish I had more time to enjoy, but I found this experience a delight!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Frederick, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

Ms. Damian failed to notify my relative who had reserved rooms for her wedding that she was going to release them. She did not give the bride any kind of deadline for when the rooms had to be booked and copped a huge attitude when confronted about the situation. Had the bride been given a deadline for when the remainder of the rooms had to be reserved (as most places do), she would most certainly have adhered to the deadline. Instead Ms. Damian just freed them up without her knowledge to the contrary. My other relatives have stayed here in the past and have said that Ms. Damian was rude and snarky to them. Needless to say, we won't be staying there again. The place is great and its proximity to downtown is wonderful, but we did not feel there was any hospitality nor customer service on Ms. Damian's behalf. That is rather important when staying at a B&B, don't you think?

• Stayed April 2011
TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2011

My sister and I stayed here March 2010 and will be going back May 2011. We picked this B&B for walking distance to Volt and town, both are great. Okay, so maybe you won't get a hug upon your arrival. But I assure you, Ms. Damian can be very friendly and helpful. I say this even though she chided me in front of everyone for setting my coffee cup on her dining room table, as opposed to the coaster which was right next to me. I was laughing on the inside (only) as that's what my mother would do. No harm, I'm a big girl. We stayed in Mexican Room w/ 2 twin beds. The bathroom is huge and walks out to a fabulous balcony. Having a pre and post dinner drink on balcony was perfect. Just to know--the bathroom door swings into the bedroom, in case you're noise shy. We just had a "go to the balcony" rule. Go, you'll be glad.

Stayed March 2010
DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2011

We visited Frederick from Washington, DC for a splurge at Volt Restaurant. It's little too far to drive, particularly after the wine pairings. We chose to stay right around the corner at the Hill House. Here are the details you need.

-- The rooms are small but not cramped. We stayed in the Victorian Suite, which is streetside but quiet. We needed the step stool to get into our 4-poster bed. The rooms are heated by radiator -- we turned ours off and hit under the ample covers. The host also put out a bottle of sherry in our room, which was a nice touch on a cold night.

-- The bathroom is private and almost as large as the room -- it's actually down a little hall within the room, which is nice.

-- The breakfast is communal with everyone sitting at the one dining room table. That's not my favorite b/c it requires small talk before coffee. The host seems to make french toast most morning, which was well above B&B average.

One last note. We left a couple pairs of pants hanging in the closet. The host mailed them to us at her own expense. That's service you won't get from Holiday Inn.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Silver Spring, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

It's now the one year anniversary (10/30/09) of our stay at the Hill House Bed and Breakfast. The bad memories have hardly faded. We still agree that our stay at the Hill House was the worst bed and breakfast experience we've had. The Damien may be good at some things, but her interpersonal skills are nil. Not suited for the HOSPITALITY business. The breakfast was adequate the first day and cold on the second day. It had been sitting on the plate for an hour before we arrive at the table. A misunderstanding about ending daylight saving time. We lost the argument. Lesson learned - never again book a bed and breakfast without reading the online reviews first, We never would have stayed there if we had done that.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
charlotte nc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2010

This was our first visit to Frederick and the Hill House, and it will definitely not be our last. My husband and I stayed in the Steeple Room on the third floor and thoroughly enjoyed our 3-night stay. Damian is a wonderful hostess and shares an exquisite home with her guests. We felt as though we were visiting a good friend instead of staying at a B&B, as their home is filled with family photos, paintings, and more than a few lifetimes of cherished momentos. The location is absolutely perfect for walking all around town--day or night. The bed was comfortable, there was plenty of heat, plenty of hot water, and plenty of good light by which to read. Breakfast is more than ample and delicious; pocket a few of her cinnamon twists to take with you during the day!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hill House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!