“A very happy surprise!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Warminster, Pennsylvania
“A very happy surprise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

Strolling one of the main streets downtown Frederick, wanted to try someplace we hadn't been before, happened on this little gem. The food was fabulous - in particular, the best gazpacho we've ever had, and an outrageous bread pudding!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Clarksburg, Maryland
“Beware if you are gluten-free”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2010

I ate there yesterday with a friend. Our meals tasted pretty good, though my friend's wasn't quite what we were expecting based on the description but it was still good. I had the Japanese stir fry & he had the Indonesian. The desserts were very tasty --he had the peanut butter square & I had chocolate mousse. And the herbal iced tea was very nice. Atmosphere was pleasant & everything appeared clean. The service was a little weird... I had to wait several minutes in a non-busy restaurant to get a drink & the waitress was pleasant but appeared spacey & forgetful.

However, you have to ask the waitress about what items are gluten-free & mine didn't seem too sure. "I think this & that are...." This had me a little leery but she promised that the stir fry menu was all gluten-free if I got the rice or rice noodles. And my dessert was one of 2 gluten-free options. Everything seemed fine until about an hour later the violent cramping kicked in that lets me know I've had gluten. I won't go into the rest other than to say I had the usual horrible results of gluten consumption going on.

I had barely eaten anything else all day, and they were specifically gluten-free items that I eat regularly with no problems. (Just had them the day before, in fact.)

I called today to let them know the situation. The guy did offer a refund but I explained that I don't live nearby. (Didn't go into it mentioning that I had paid cash & didn't have a receipt & live 30min away each way.) I told him I just wanted to alert them so they could make sure that those items really are gluten-free. He promised to have a talk with the staff. However, I personally won't ever be going back there. I specifically sought out the restaurant b/c they advertised having a gluten-free menu. Given the major health affects, I don't need to risk it again with this place.

If you are looking for a vegan or vegetarian place, it seems to be fine. Lots of tasty sounding menu options. For meat eaters, there isn't much meat that gets added to the stir fry so kind of disappointing. But the place is clean & has a nice atmosphere. So if you aren't big on meat & don't have gluten-issues, I'm sure it is a nice option. But gluten-free folks please beware.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Frederick, Maryland
“Yum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

I have to recommend the grilled cheese. I have only been here a few times, but the last time I went I got the grilled cheese and I can't get it out of my mind. I am not a huge fan of grilled cheeses either so it says a lot about the Orchard.

The bread was so delicious and crispy...definitely on hearty bread. The grilled cheese had a fresh tomato on top and came with a side of tomato aoili sauce that you could dip your sandwich in. Delicious and I believe it was either 6 or 8 dollars which is definitely worth it for the size of this sandwich. Go try it!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“My favorite in town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2010

This is my favorite of all restaurants in Frederick. Its cuisine is not as haute as at Volt, its decor is not as elegant as at Cacique. But wait staff service is easily as good as either of the aforementioned. What's most important, is that the food never disappoints. Cooking is consistently excellent, ingredients are fresh, and there's great variety. Don't get the wrong impression from other reviews I've seen here ... it is not vegetarian, although if you are a practicing vegetarian you CAN find menu items here. It is not food for dieters, either ... come on, fat America! I'm a 6'2" tall man and I have never left hungry after eating one of their stir-fry combinations.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Frederick
“Vegetarian fare for people on a diet.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

If you want to eat hearty, this restaurant is not your friend. It seems to me that the menu was created by someone on a 1000 calorie diet. There is a severe lack of protein and fat on the menu, and I LIKE eating vegetarian! If I want a Really light lunch, or I was trying to lose weight... maybe I'd go here. The atmosphere is certainly nice. Lots of light woods and indirect lighting.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere