“Wait for the upgrade” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sleep Inn Barstow on Historic Route 66

You added Sleep Inn Barstow on Historic Route 66 to your Saves list
Sleep Inn Barstow on Historic Route 66
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   1861 West Main Street, 1861 West Main Street, Barstow, CA 92311 (Formerly The Barstow Route 66 Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #11 of 29 Hotels in Barstow
Fort Worth, Texas
“Wait for the upgrade”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

After driving in Death Valley all day, we were looking for a trusted name. We found this a Holiday Inn on our GPS, AND it had the history of Route 66.

As we entered a completely empty parking lot, we excitedly went in to ask for the walk-in rate. $109! After discussing it further with the front desk 'kid', we were informed the manager was out of town, and he did not have the authority to wiggle on the price. So, we got on the computer and used our points.

We were 'upgraded' to a king room. As soon as we walked into the room, my husband said it was exactly like a Comfort Inn. It was. They had recently purchased it under the Holiday Inn logo.

There was a loud screeching noise every few minutes. In our room key folder, it was explained that it was near a train switch yard. They had supposedly put in triple paned windows, but it still did not help with the sound. We were welcome to go to the front desk for earplugs. These were individually wrapped.

Our room looked over a roof, and tool shed (which seems to be our usual lately!!). Due to the king bed, there was absolutely no room to move around with two people. The chair in the room was filthy. I did not want to put my purse on it.

Breakfast was typical for hotels. Nothing elaborate.

WAIT FOR THE RENOVATIONS if you are going, and don't forget your Bose noise reduction headphones!!!!

Room Tip: ask for the street side, it may help reduce the noise.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Jackson, MS & London, England.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

I spend roughly two thirds of my life in hotel rooms due to my job. This is one of the worst hotels I have ever experienced. Tiny room, air-conditioner not functioning properly, no bath tub, thin walls - just a horrible night. And then, having booked my room using my Priority Club reward points, and being told there was a zero balance when I checked out, I found that they had charged my credit card. Stay away, I would rather sleep in my car than have to go near this place ever again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Oceanside, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here on a Sunday night. It was quiet and staff was very friendly and informative. Rooms were clean and comfortable. Only was a shower which is fine for us but when you walked in bathroom it felt like a space tube with really loud fans. Train yard behind hotel that is really loud but we only heard it when we were outside. Would come back again if in area.

• Stayed September 2011
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

We should have known something was wrong when we checked in at reception and were provided a note that offered free earplugs.

The noise from the adjacent train switching yard goes 24/7 and sounds like something scratching their fingernails on a blackboard.

The rooms are tiny and the bathroom has to be the smallest I've ever been in (it felt like it was designed to go in a submarine).

I highly recommend that you consider the other Holiday Inn Express in Barstow, up the road near the outlet stores.

Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
SF Bay Area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

This is a typical Holiday Inn Express, clean and comfortable with great beds and bedding and a good breakfast in the mroning. There was some train noise, but it wasn't obtrusive. But our room was on opposite side of building. I grew up near trains and find the noise restfull when it's not too loud. Brings back old memories.

This was our last stop on Route 66 before heading for home in SF. There isn't a lot to do in Barstow and all I really wanted after a month of motels is a clean and comfortable place, which is what this place offers. Nice folks at the desk helped us find a good place to eat.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Ventura, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

I stayed here on a two week business trip. The first week was great, they warned of train noise from the switchyard that is located approx. 1 mile away behind the hotel but my room was on the lower floor about midway on the parking lot side of the hotel and the noise could not be heard inside my room. Room location would be important here for sure but the windows are quality and probably don't let much noise get through in any of the rooms. The staff was extremely friendly and courteous and although the rooms were smaller than your standard one by todays standards, it was actually "cozy". Across the street is where I ate nightly at Bun Boy. Good food for a good price. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone that needs to stay in Barstow!

Room Tip: Get a room on the bottom floor, parking lot side, and close to the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011 via mobile

The room was clean, but very small and cramped. The low ceiling didn't help (I'm 5'9" and my hands hit the ceiling when stretching my arms over my head). The hotel is located next to a major rail yard, so trains are screeching all night long and are quite loud. The HIExpress on Lenwood looks nicer, newer and in a much better area. Should have stayed there.

• Stayed July 2011

Been to Sleep Inn Barstow on Historic Route 66? Share your experiences!