My family used this hotel (two rooms) for one night only late Oct '05 en-route to Las Vegas from San Diego. It is a typical motel where you park outside your room and have one or two interesting 'guests' walking about. The night we booked in I went to get some ice from the machine opposite our room on the other side of the car park. As I walked back I noticed a car pulling in to the car park with lots of loud music and shouting going on. A group of people got out carrying a fair bit of alcohol for what looked like a 'party' in their room. Thankfully we were sited some distance away. I also bought a snickers bar from the vending machine - I couldn't open the wrapper properly because the chocolate had melted on a previous occasion and solidified.
At the far end of the car park there is some kind of trailer park - I have to say that whilst we never encountered any major problems I would be reluctant to stay here again. Whilst the room itself was clean we never really felt comfortable. Sleeping was made even more difficult by the fact that there is a train station nearby - we finally worked out that the low pitched hum we could hear throughout the night was being caused by slow moving trains.
My wife's parents went to La Sala, the on-site restaurant to get some food - boy was that a mistake. I thought ordering fries and a corn dog would be relatively safe. The fries were totally tasteless and limp. Without doubt they were the worst fries I have ever eaten. The corn dog tasted like it had been microwaved a dozen times, and left to cool in between each time. It tasted leathery and had very little flavour.
Thinking we would be ok with the continental breakfast the next morning we did slightly better - although the orange juice did not taste much like orange juice, rather a mixture of apple and orange. The pastries were acceptable.
Overall we were glad that we only had to spend one night here - if we do the trip again we will aim to stay in a different hotel or drive direct from San Diego without an overnight stop.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The BEST WESTERN Desert Villa Inn is a moderately priced, pet friendly hotel conveniently located on Route 66 in quaint downtown Barstow, California. Offering all of the features and amenities that business and leisure travelers expect, the BEST WESTERN Desert Villa Inn is situated just minutes from the Amtrak station and only 71 miles from Ontario International Airport. Guests traveling to Barstow and through Barstow will all appreciate the friendly service and delightful accommodations provided by the BEST WESTERN Desert Villa Inn. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Agoda, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your BEST WESTERN Desert Villa Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Plus Desert Villa Hotel Barstow
- Best Western Desert Hotel
- Best Western Barstow
- Barstow Best Western