“A prostitute and her pimp were arguing about money outside my door at 1 AM” 2 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Desert Villa Inn

Special Offer
Stay 2X get $50 gift card
Ranked #6 of 29 Hotels in Barstow
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“A prostitute and her pimp were arguing about money outside my door at 1 AM”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012 via mobile

I love the BW Plus line. It is a stretch to label this one a Plus. The physical plant is really old but has been painted in recent years. The electrical outlets are old, dirty and worn. The little fridge in my room was warm inside and I had to store my diabetes medication, so I put ice in my little cooler and it was OK. This BW property will do OK as an "any place in a storm" motel to stay at. Big trains roared by in the night but I miraculously slept through them after 2 AM. If you want a Cannery Row experience for $75 a night, this is the place for you.

Stayed April 2011
HIG110, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Desert Villa Inn, responded to this review, March 16, 2012
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. We're sorry to hear that your refrigerator was not the proper temperature and we hope you reported this to the Front Desk so that it could be quickly resolved for you and future guests. As you mentioned, we are near railraod tracks but we do offer ear plugs for guests who are more sensitive to the noise. We're sorry that we did not meet your needs during your most recent stay and hope that you might give us another try in the future.

Safe travels!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Santa Clara, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

We stayed for one night. Given that it's next to the freeway, the rooms were surprisingly quiet. Wifi worked well and is free. Bath towels were skimpy and a bit thin. Rooms were clean and comfortable.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
HIG110, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Desert Villa Inn, responded to this review, February 23, 2012
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving your feedback. We're happy to hear that you found the room clean, comfortable, and quiet. As for the towels - we'll work on that. Thanks for your input!

Safe travels
MCKINLEYVILLE
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

I guess they got back at us! When we arrived, I first asked if the young-ish woman and young man in charge if they could do better on their rate of $99 before taxes/charges. I told them that we had not spent over $73 a night on our whole three week trip, including Las vegas($60 a night), Palm Springs($62), Scottsdale, AZ, etc. I stood there in front of them and said to my spouse, "That's insane for this town. It'll be at least $109 with everything added on!". So they offered $79. We took it. About an hour after unpacking everything, we start hearing banging and sawing noises right out side the room. after three more times, went out and asked two guys out there what they were doing. They grunted a non reply. Another half hour of drilling/sawing/banging. like it was right outside our room. Come to find out, they were renovating the room right next to ours!! at 9PM! and were continuing. and would be back 8AM the next morning!! We asked to move. So, 10PM, thinking i was going to have a restful early night ( I mean there's nothing here except a Photo Op of Rt. 66 signs), I had to pack everything back up and start all over in another room! and then in the light of day, we saw that we were near a major highway and a railroad track(with trains on it)neither of which bothered us so I guess they have good walls.

Room Tip: The next day, we spotted a few other hotels in town for around $45 a night advertised. I usually do...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Travelers,

We're so sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your recent stay. I must point out that Barstow has been a popular place lately due to the military activity at the nearby base and the average rate at all of the hotels is higher than you might normally see here. I do apologize for the late night construction that disturbed you. We realize that everyone has differnet sound sensitivity (ear plugs are provided for just this reason) but 9pm was, perhaps, too late to be making noise. Please accept my apologies for the disturbance and inconvenience. We hope that you might give us another try, but if not, please be advised that when staying at a hotel offering $45 rates, you will most assuredly get what you pay for.

Safe travels!
Tujunga, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2012

Best Westerns are usually pretty good, but this one is at the far end of town in an especially lonesome turn in the road. Dislikes: Plenty of transients walking up and down the street, or hitchhiking at the freeway entrance (located 20 feet from entrance). For some reason when I was there a number of tattooed drunk locals were using the pool, making it their all-day party, throwing things and being belligerent to guests - it was actually frightening. Likes: Staff was great, things were very clean, breakfast adequate. Wish I'd stayed near the outlet mall though.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
HIG110, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Desert Villa Inn, responded to this review, February 1, 2012
Dear Travler,

It pains us to read that we did not meet your expectationsduring your stay in Barstow. We always do our very best to provide clean, safe, and comfortable accomodations for our guests though we do realize that there are times we fall short. I noticed that your stay was last spring 2011. Since then, we have become a Best Western PLUS property, which means that we offer a few more room and hotel amenities than a typical Best Western and are a cut above the rest. In addition, we have been making improvements to both the interior decor and the exterior and have just recently upgraded our breakfast to include hot items like eggs and ham. We hope that you might consider trying us again on your next stop through Barstow and experience the difference for yourself. Hope to see you soon!
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

Hi, I am from Australia and like my Best Western's down under. I was not disappointed. Free Breakfast, Free Wifi, and most of all a FRIDGE. I travel with medications that need to be refrigerated and usually I only get an ice bucket. But, what about keeping the ice bricks frozen? So, a fridge with a freezer section was an amazing PLUS. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
HIG110, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Desert Villa Inn, responded to this review, January 26, 2012
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for your comments. We're glad to hear that we offered all that you enjoyed the amenities that we have to offer and had a pleasant stay here at the Best Western in Barstow. We hope you'll have the opportunity to come back and visit sometime soon!

Safe travels.
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

The Desert Villa is located on the east end of Barstow, just beyond the mostly empty Barstow Mall (I remember when it was a busy place). The motel is sandwiched between I-40 and the railroad, which means it's not going to be real quite, but all the rooms face a central parking lot which reduces the noise somewhat.

The rooms have all the usual amenities, including fridge, microwave and coffee maker. The room I had also had a small seating area. The breakfast offered is average, but will tide you over until lunch.

The staff is very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Florence, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

This is one of those Best Westerns that has not quite gotten all the upgrades done.

I had asked for an ADA approved room but was told upon arrival that the King sized room wasn't available. I had to take a Queen to remain downstairs. The Lobby is quite nice. The rooms-not so much. They are very dated. They are noisy, but not from the trains as much as the rowdy lodgers. The Comp Breakfast is a bit below what one normally finds. The breakfast room is on the small side and the cereal is decidedly "Great Value" as opposed to General Mills. The access is rather abrupt from the highway to say the least.

The staff does have a very good handle on the local restaurants! There is a very informative restaurant list with directions in the Lobby.

Room Tip: Ask for downstairs on the back side away from the road. Turn on the heat the minute you enter the ro...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN Desert Villa Inn? Share your experiences!