“Nice for the price.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 29 Hotels in Barstow
Hermosa Beach, California
“Nice for the price.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I stay here frequently as I have business in the area from time to time. This hotel is very well maintained. My only complaint is the noisy HV/AC window units. Even when it's turned off, the noise from nearby rooms wakes me up.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
San Clemente, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

If you have to stay in Barstow, this is a great place to stay. We were there for one night for an off-road excursion with a group of around 70 people. Our room was lovely, very comfortable with great amenities. After reading some reviews we were concerned about freeway noise and noise from our upstairs neighbors, being in a room facing the freeway and on the 2nd floor, but we didn't notice any at all other than some very light noise from above in the morning when our upstairs neighbor was walking around. Definitely not enough to be bothersome. We were upgraded to a king suite because the hotel was overbooked, but our friends who were in a 2 queen room were also very impressed and happy with their room. The rooms are large, TVs are very nice, and we had a bar area with a microwave and refrigerator. The included breakfast was pretty good. The eggs were kind of weird -- seemed almost like they were re-constituted powdered eggs or something. But, the other choices available for breakfast were nice and the breakfast was much more satisfying than I remember ever having at a Hampton Inn in the past (it's been a number of years since I stayed at one). Make your own waffles was a hit with a lot of people in our group, lots of cereal choices, including oatmeal and cold cereals, baked goods, coffee, juices, etc. I would definitely stay here again, and definitely will look for Hampton Inns in other cities I travel to. I was really impressed. Having worked in the hospitality industry for a luxury resort chain (4 Seasons), I appreciate good service and well appointed rooms, especially when the rate is reasonable, My impression is that Hampton Inn is working hard to make their brand the one people look for when they are planning to travel. Well done!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a king suite! Really nice room!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
San Bernardino, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I stopped at this hotel late one night. The place looked clean and well maintained. The desk clerk was an older woman who acted like she was half asleep and that I was bothering her by asking for a room. After listening to her surly attitude for a few minutes I left and got another room at another hotel. The management needs to get this woman some coffee and a happy pill. For a business run on service, this was about as bad as it gets.

Room Tip: If the older lady is working the desk, just leave!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I have been staying here recently for business. Location is good right by the Tanger Outlet mall and many fast food chains. Hotel itself is clean, comfortable, rooms are decent size with standard Hampton furnishings. Front desk staff are wonderful, some of the best of all the Hampton Inn's I have been at, you ask and you have it, top notch there. Breakfast once again is standard Hampton Inn fare. Hotel does fill up fast, Barstow is a stopping point for Vegas and there is also military bases around the area so that contributes to that factor. The high room rate is something I am not sure of why, maybe due to the above mentioned location and military base. Compared to the other hotels in the area I will pay it but it does cause one to ponder.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Normal, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I recently spent a night at the Hampton in Barstow on my way to San Francisco. I didn't arrive until 1am but when departing the next morning I noticed my U-Haul trucks gas guage seemed low compared to when I parked just a few hours earlier. After driving across the street to fill up my truck I discovered the fuel hose had been cut between the fuel inlet and the fuel tank (during the night) and most of the fuel had been siphoned out of the truck. The U-Haul truck parked just beside mine had a window smashed and items had been stolen out of that truck. The front desk said "sorry there is nothing we can do" and Hilton HHonors guest services told me the same thing. I would think Hilton would stand up for customer care and the safety of their guests and the guests personal property. I was told this hotel only has one working security camera which is located at the front desk. The hotel itself was nice but the security of the parking lot is horrible.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
fullofbarstowinfo, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Barstow, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
I sincerely apologize for the unfortunate experience you had during your stay. I appreciate your speed in bringing this incident to my attention which allowed me to follow up with our security team and local law enforcement agency regarding your incident.
The safety of our guests is a top priority, which is why the hotel is equipped with security cameras at all entrances and exits, elevator lobbies and other public areas. Unfortunately, there are unscrupulous folks in this world who will prey on others regardless of the safety measures put in place. For this I am sorry and truly empathize with you regarding the loss of your items.
I am happy you enjoyed the hotel itself and I am hopeful you will try us again the next time you are in the Barstow area.
Respectfully,
M. Bond-GM
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

If found the hotel to be clean, comfortable, with an Excellent staff. Price was a little high I thought for the locale. However, it was worth it to have a very clean and nice place. I could hear people in the hall from my room and didn't like that.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

There are plenty of places to stay in Barstow proper, but the newer ones are located on I-15 a few miles south of town in a developed area that includes a large outlet mall. The Hampton is very good; with a location at the end of the area where it is the most quiet. Everything works, the rooms are spacious and comfortable, the breakfast is good, and free, the staff is well-trained and skillful. Nice outdoor pool and spa. There are several restaurants, most of the fast-food and/or chain variety in the area, so you don't have to go back into Barstow to eat. There is a large military presence around Barstow, so the hotel gets many military guests. My only complaint is the high room rate, even with a AAA or senior discount and maybe they have to make up for giving the military guests a lower rate. The quiet location may change soon, though. There is a sign across the street announcing a coming casino and resort. You might want to check its progress and think about how that will change things for the Hampton.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Barstow? Share your experiences!