“Lots of character, not much of anything else” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ludlow Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Barstow
Ludlow Motel
Save Saved
You added Ludlow Motel to your Saves list
National Trails Hwy, Barstow, CA 92338   |
Ranked #19 of 29 Hotels in Barstow
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Lots of character, not much of anything else”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

As many other reviews said, this motel provides the bare minimum. We were traveling Route 66 and discovered that this was the only motel between Needles and Barstow, which are around 150 miles apart, so the Ludlow was really the only choice we had.
After a few endlessly ringing phone calls we started to worry that we wouldn't even be able to book a room here. We discovered the Chevron across the street was owned by the same people, so we called the gas station to book our room. A little odd. When we arrived, exhausted after a day of driving, we discovered we had to go to the gas station to get our key and check in as well. A bit inconvenient, but fine. The two of us and a pair of bikers were the only ones staying that night, and they made some comment that at least they weren't the only ones braving this place now.
It really wasn't bad though. No wifi and sketchy lighting, but for our purposes - somewhere to sleep and shower - it was just fine. We also got free fountain drinks at the gas station and a discount at the Ludlow Cafe, just next to the motel. The cafe has really nice food with large portions, and it was actually really busy the morning we ate there.
If I was traveling Route 66 again, I'd go back.

Room Tip: The motel doesn't have it's own staff by the looks of it. Call the gas station for rooms and...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

This is a no frills hotel at California I-40 Exit 50. There is no WIFI, no hotel staff of any kind, the door is an ordinary residential door that does not self-lock. The office is not staffed so you check-in at the Chevron across the street.

This is my second stay and I like it fine. There is a diner in the parking lot that is open 06:00 to 18:00 and with a hotel receipt you get 10% off. The food is good, comfort food. .There is no ice machine but with your hotel container you can get free ice st the Chevron. The room has no phone so you are on your own for wake up calls. There is a large flat screen TV and 12-15 cable channels. The beds are "cheap motel comfortable" and clean. The shower worked fine as did everything else.

I will stay here again. .

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

My wife and I stayed one night at this hotel to get an early start on a day of exploring in Mojave National Preserve. As the title of the review states, it is a clean, inexpensive, no frills place to stay - closest lodging we could find to Mojave Preserve. Most $50 a night hotels are to be avoided like the plague, but this one was a gem - no regrets on our decision to stay here, and would definitely do so again.

The motel office is not staffed, so you have to check in at the gas station across the street. The rooms are pretty basic - two queen beds, a closet, and a bathroom with shower. There was a flat screen TV in our room with access to about a dozen cable channels. No Wifi or phones in the rooms, but you are close enough to the interstate to get cell service and 4G data, so that's not really a problem. The furnishings are pretty basic, but the rooms are clean - much better than I expected based on previous reviews.

Staff was very friendly, both at the gas station and at the Ludlow Cafe next door (had breakfast there - what a great little diner). As a hotel guest, you get a 10% discount for a single ticket at the Cafe - just present your room receipt when you order.

Obviously you should adjust your expectations accordingly for a property like this. If you require the amenities of a full service hotel, then this is probably not the place for you. If you cannot be bothered to walk across the (dead-end) street for drinks and snacks, or use your cell phone to call the gas station if there is a problem or issue, then this is probably not the place for you. If you require 150 cable channels and free Wifi to keep you entertained during your stay, then this is probably not the place for you.

However, if all you need is a clean, inexpensive place to flop for the night, then the Ludlow Motel is perfect.

-JimG

Room Tip: You get a slight discount on the room rate if you are two people sharing one bed.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Etobicoke, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

There aren't really a lot of lodging options when you're visiting the Mojave Desert. We stumbled upon this one. We were happy to find an affordable place that had rooms available.

The rooms look like they haven't been touched in 50 years. There was a new flatscreen TV with cable.

The windows are very thin and rattle a little.

My only big dislike was seeing a stain on the pillow (it was visible through the pillow case).

Also, if you arrive late (8pm) there's no where to eat but the food at the gas station. The cafe is 6am-6pm and the Dairy Queen closes around 8pm I think.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

This was such a horrible stay, we got there around 12:30am so tired from driving all day all we wanted to do was watch TV and lay down, the TV would not work there was no phone to even call the store and I didn't feel like driving to the store, we had no toilet paper when I went to the bathroom in the middle of the night I had to go to my car to get some and again no phone in room to call the store also found 3 hairs in my bed and the worst part was around 3:35am someone tried getting in our room wiggling the lock around, I was so scared being in the middle of nowhere and having no phone and with the store being so far away, when I went to check out at the store in the morning I let the two gentleman working know what happened last night and one of them apologized for everything and said , "Sometimes truck drivers like to sleep for free and try and get into a room, he also said oh that must be the new house keeper who didn't put toilet paper." He then gave me a number to call and I've been calling but no one has returned my call!!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2013
Ballinamallard
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Free Porridge/Tea/Coffee!!!
What more could you ask for?
How about double locks on every door, an original 'Scorpion' painting on the wall, and authentic, 70's hanging lights (red bulb) in every room?

The Ludlow has it all.

Initial misgivings were soon removed by the friendly staff and exceptional range of hats, keyrings and candy on offer in the convenient on-site service station.

Rooms were sparkling with both character & cleanliness. Colour Television's and up to date copies of 'Machinery Weekly' classifieds are provided for the discerning travellers enjoyment while soaking their senses in the lavender tinted bathroom salts and scrubs after a hard day in the desert sun...

Combined quality, service and good ol' time American values made this our best buy over 18 nights in California.

Room Tip: Bid Them Low. Avoid the Apple&Cinnamon Porridge... Lock the door.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Unlike most reviewers, I did not stay at the Ludlow Motel in desperation after a misjudgment of time and distance. I booked a room here in advance because I wanted to check out the place myself and it exactly filled a need in my Route 66 itinerary. People often refer to the place as "basic" and I suppose that's true in some sense. When I reserved my room via telephone (call the Chevron station) the lack of phone and internet was stressed and there is, in fact, no pool, spa, lounge, mints on the pillows, or room service. But there is a clean room, comfortable beds, and a TV. The next door restaurant has good food at reasonable prices. Across the street, at the gas station that doubles as the motel lobby, there is free coffee, ice, and soft drinks around the clock and the snack selection beats any vending machine I've ever seen. Calling it "basic" isn't entirely inaccurate but I've stayed at major chains in metropolitan areas that offered less amenities than what amounts to an isolated oasis. I liked it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to Ludlow Motel? Share your experiences!