“Everything we were looking for and more...:-)” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #5 of 29 Hotels in Barstow
SF Bay Area
“Everything we were looking for and more...:-)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2009

We decided to go to Disneyland for President's Day weekend and spend a day or two in Vegas. After having a horrible stay at the Comfort Inn Maingate Anaheim (see review) we decided not to spend another night in Anaheim and just be on our way to Vegas after we left Disneyland at about 10:30 pm. I knew the drive was not that long so I thought I could do it. Unfortunately, I forgot I had to abruptly leave our hotel above at 6:30am and then was at DL all day so I was more tired than I thought. As I was driving, my eyes were getting a little wobbly so I decided to pull over and just get a room and finish the drive in the morning. After passing a few low budget hotels, I saw the Holiday Inn Express and Suites from the freeway. Pulled in and boy was it freezing when I got out the car. The girl at the desk 1st told me one price and I said, that is too high so she lowered to a great rate (whoo hoo!). After checking in, she told me there was juice and cookies and to help myself. Everything was so clean, warm and nice (I am use to this but not in the desert on the way to Vegas lol). I woke up my son and he was happy, of course, to see warm chocolate cookies and juice waiting for him. When we entered our room, we were excited to find a wonderful decorated room with a very nice size bathroom. We had a view of the pool which looked very inviting but the weather? Anyway, while looking out the window, I noticed the outlet mall next to the hotel and all I could think was "charge" - whoo hoo!

We had a wonderful well deserved night sleep because the beds were super great. We headed down to breakfast to find they had a great selection of FRESH breakfast items, hot and cold, and ready to eat (bacon, eggs, potatoes, toast, muffins, donuts, cereal, fruit, juice, sausage patties, etc yummy yummy yummy). This was much better than dennys or ihop and for free (no extra resort charges, etc). We went back to our room and while getting dressed, noticed I lost my toothbrush, called down and they brought us several up with no questions. We got dressed and I was sure to fill out a "how did we do" card before departure. Whenever we are in the area again, I will definitely stay here and recommend to others.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Port Moody, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2008

We had to go for a few days to Fort Irwin, and after reading reviews on Tripadvisor of the options nearby available, we went with this hotel.

A little bit further out the way, but oh yeah, well worth it !! it was nice, clean & modern. I had to walk outside to make sure it didn't say "mariott" or something on the front. Recently I've been impressed with the various Holiday inn Express' that we've stayed (the other one being in Glendora/Asuza). We've stayed on dozens of hotels (including W's, mariotts, Hyatts etc.,) and this one ranks right there up with it if you're after a hotel with a great place to sleep, and don't care that there's no fancy $10/drink bar etc.

• Liked — modern, clean, comfy environment and bed
  • Disliked — bit out of the way of the "main" town
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
San Francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2008

Clean and OK, but:

The room was tiny, REALLY tiny. Not wheelchair accessable and two of us were sharing a room and constantly bumping into each other, very odd room design.

Very expensive for that type of hotel in that area, I mean about 50% high.

Poor location. Hint: In Barstow you want to be away from the train track because the noise is continuous and annoying. Any hotel on main street will have this problem.

• Liked — Clean and basic
  • Disliked — price and location
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
san diego, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2008

We have stayed at many HI Exp. properties throughout the US, and this one is the best. Anyone who has written a negative review is definitely confusing it with the older property, which is not next to the outlet mall as this one is.

The property is still new, and is sparkling clean. There is a business center with two free computers. The pool area is lovely, and the exercise room equipment, though just cardiac type equipment, is excellent. The rooms are very nice, and the breakfast is also excellent. Very "yummy" cookies, fruit, and beverages are available in the breakfast room throughout the day and evening. The staff is friendly and helpful. We stayed here two nights, one our our way to Vegas, and one on our way back, and both times the experience was excellent.

We used points, and the August dates were only 5,000 pts. per night insead of the usual 25,000. When I booked, I noticed that dates through Sept. were also at this unusually low point level of 5,000 pts, so that is certainly something to take advantage of. I suspect it is because it is so hot in Barstow these dates.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Riverside, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2008

I just spent a week at the Holiday Inn Express in Barstow. I was pleasantly surprised. It was clean and the staff of locals could not have been more hospitable. There was free high-speed Internet access in the rooms and a modest, but nice, free hot breakfast buffet in the morning. I'd stay here again and would recommend it to friends. As an added bonus, a new Chili's Restaurant just opened nearby.

• Liked — Cleanliness.
  • Disliked — Adjacent to Outlet Mall with busloads of Las Vegas-bound tourists.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Brit in Copenhagen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2008

In common with, I would guess, at least 50% of the guests at hotels in this town, we stayed for an overnight stop on the way from LA to Las Vegas. We are a family of four and needed somewhere clean, comfortable and not too pricey, preferably with a pool and the HI Express fitted the bill perfectly.

I am surprised that anyone describes this place as pricey. We paid $130 for a large room with two double beds, flat screen TV, clean, modern furniture, a good sized bathroom, free wireless internet, excellent breakfast, free parking, a fitness centre and a large pool. Great value for money in my opinion. Furthermore, we heard no noise at all either from the freeway or railway. There are large spaces for overnight truck and recreational vehicle parking, but these are over the other side of the outlet stores and didn't affect us at all.

Don't confuse this hotel with the other Holiday Inn located in Barstow town itself, about ten minutes drive up the freeway. This hotel is located next to a shopping outlet and adjacent to the very similar Hampton Inn and Suites just off the freeway south of Barstow. There are also plenty of fast food restaurants close by so we didn't need to go into Barstow town itself.

The fitness centre is small but the pool area reasonably large. There's a jacuzzi as well and we used all these facilities. As with all HI Expresses, this is not a "Full Service" hotel but the front desk staff were excellent and the lady who replenished the buffet breakfast was friendly and efficient.

The only small issue was that there was nowhere really where we could sit out and enjoy the desert sunset, we watched this beautiful spectacle from our room window. If they built a small bar and patio in front of the hotel, or if the rooms had balconies, we may well have stayed more than one night. Sitting by the pool with a good book, shopping at the outlet stores, taking a trip into Barstow and the nearby Calico Ghost town and enjoying the sunsets would be a great way of spending a couple of days, especially at this price.

• Liked — Value for maney
  • Disliked — Very little, see review
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2008

We were on route between San Fran and San Diego and needed to stop and we had been given a pointer from a travel book, but when we pulled up we decided to pull out. We then headed straight for the holiday inn, blow the expense. Expense indeed, it is a little pricey me thinks for the location. Barstow ain't pretty (sorry to you guys that live there). The holiday inn was clean, friendly and efficient. The breakfast was lovely and they had internet access. It was a little noisy though, as our room had the clank of slow moving cargo trains all night. Good for a stopover, but seriously needs a price readjustment.

• Liked — comfortable
  • Disliked — pricey
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple