“Run, Don't Walk...” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 29 Hotels in Barstow
Modesto
“Run, Don't Walk...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

... to another motel! It was later in the evening that we arrived, so it was dark. My first impression when I walked in the room was good. I thought it was very cute, until I walked into the bathroom! First thing I noticed was the missing linoleum and ugliness of it. The shower was so thickly caulked and done badly, and I suspected mold. The very nice person from the office came in said she wasn't sure if it was mold, but they did have mold issues in other rooms. She offered to clean it with bleach, but I declined, as I could not breath in bleach all night. I looked for the air conditioner, and found it on top of the entry door. I couldn't find a way to turn it on, but was relieved I couldn't, when I saw possible mold right under it. I didn't want mold spores flying around, just in case. As the night progressed, I noticed there was no doorknob on the inside entry door, and the bathroom knob was close to falling off. It made it much more difficult to open the door to get out, in case of an emergency. I was disgusted that there were no pillowcases on the pillows, so I put a towel over the pillow. That is so unsanitary. It has been said that bedspreads aren't cleaned often, so when I saw the clean towels spread out on the beds, i didn't appreciate it. There was no box of tissues and only a half of a roll of toilet paper, with no extras. I slept on top of the bedspread, because I was afraid there could be bedbugs, based on the the many problems in the room. I wasn't sure, but no chances taken. The room comes with three packets. I believe they were shampoo, conditioner and cream, which is fine, but don't expect one more amenity. In the morning, my husband wanted to take a shower, but I couldn't leave fast enough. No worries, the shower didn't work. It does have decent TV channels, which I appreciated, since I didn't sleep one minute all night. Yes, we paid a mere $29.99, so I guess we couldn't expect much. However, I do expect my room to be in liveable condition. We paid too much!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Riverside, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

You can tell this places needs a lil work but the new management is showing much need improvement and energy to the property after the last time i came it looks to be improving the room was clean towels soap there was a problem with my tv but the night manager was quick to fix it and made my night a ok stay they also had sum snack in the lobby for sell with was convenient since there was no store close i can't wate to see how it looks in 6 months

• Stayed January 2014
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I saw the Pennywise Inn Motel off the side of the 40 freeway and pulled off from driving most of the day. When I pulled in, the outside was clean but the place it self looks vintage. When I walked into the office I was greeted by Michelle. She was very friendly and helpful. The room they gave me was clean, plenty of towels, and they have an ice machine in the lobby which was great! When I checked out, Michelle went above and beyond expectations by providing me printed directions to my destination for I had lost mine. I will definitely stay there again on my way back home next week.

Room Tip: Ask for a room closest to the Lobby for a stronger WiFi connection. Also there are train tracks acro...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2010

I reget ever staying here for a month I rather have saved my money sleeping in my car rather than talk to Wanda the manger who refuse service always had the do not disturb unless emergency. You can just look at her and see she's made alot of bad decisions in her life and takes it out on the customers. She wouldnt pis on you even if you were on fire. The rates were cheap 550-600 a month but I rather pay an xtra 100 to stay at any other motel. Worse treatment ever ranks right up there with how I was treated in the marines, but w/o the POA. They have free internet but its aint fast nor is the connect good.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
San Jose, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2009

We booked this hotel for two nights for a family vacation because it was cheap. Like others, when we checked in, the clerk seemed surprised that we were staying for more than one night. To give the positives, the people who worked there seemed nice, and the motel is located right outside the marine base gate. There was a fridge and a microwave in the room which was nice. The rooms were old but seemed reasonably clean. Our problem was bugs. I removed the bedspread from the beds as I always do in motels since the bedspreads do not get washed often. When I pulled the spread off the bed against the front window wall, a smattering of dead bugs came with it, sprinkling all over the blanet underneath. Believe it or not, I still determined to give the place a chance - my husband disposed of the bugs and we went to dinner. When we returned to go to sleep, the same type of bugs were alive and flying all over the room. My husband gamely killed as many as he could before we went to bed. In the middle of the night, I woke up to the sound of a cricket chirping LOUDLY. I opened my eyes and one of the flying bugs was crawling across my pillow toward my face. My husband found the cricket in our room, in the bedspreads we had put aside in the closet area. Needless to say, we checked out early the next morning and spent the next night in a Motel 6 which seemed like the Ritz after this experience. To add insult to injury, the motel tried to charge us for the second night, which I had to fight through Priceline. Since Barstow is somewhat of a depressed town, I recommend staying at one of the big chain motels.

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Sacramento, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2009

the bathroom was old..... kind of clean (my husband say no, I say yes....) bedroom not too big but big enough to add a pack and play and still have room to go around... my only real problem was the smell.... feel like sleeping in a ashtray and it was a non-smoking room.... took a few days to get rid of the smell on our stuffs.
Our two years old thought that he was in heaven because you have a train track really close to the hotel...... so we had no problem to keep him entertaining when we were packing in the morning!!!
My husband felt like if he was sleeping in a train all night......
it was the cheapest place around and I didn't want to spend more than that to only sleep for a few hours .......

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
uk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2008

Small, cramped, dirty, middle of nowhere

Don't really want to go on as we didn't stay there in the end.

Took one look at the outside and felt that we should give it a try so looked in the room and it was just dire!

Couldn't stay there at all so drove up the road and booked in elsewhere which is what I suggest you do rather than book this first

• Liked — Nothing but then what did we expect for the price - our own fault really
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Desert Palace Inn? Share your experiences!