“Better than the last time i stayed” 4 of 5 stars

Desert Palace Inn
2980 East Main Street, Barstow, CA 92311 (Formerly PennyWise Inn)   |
Ranked #20 of 29 Hotels in Barstow
Riverside, California
“Better than the last time i stayed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

You can tell this places needs a lil work but the new management is showing much need improvement and energy to the property after the last time i came it looks to be improving the room was clean towels soap there was a problem with my tv but the night manager was quick to fix it and made my night a ok stay they also had sum snack in the lobby for sell with was convenient since there was no store close i can't wate to see how it looks in 6 months

• Stayed January 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I saw the Pennywise Inn Motel off the side of the 40 freeway and pulled off from driving most of the day. When I pulled in, the outside was clean but the place it self looks vintage. When I walked into the office I was greeted by Michelle. She was very friendly and helpful. The room they gave me was clean, plenty of towels, and they have an ice machine in the lobby which was great! When I checked out, Michelle went above and beyond expectations by providing me printed directions to my destination for I had lost mine. I will definitely stay there again on my way back home next week.

Room Tip: Ask for a room closest to the Lobby for a stronger WiFi connection. Also there are train tracks acro...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2010

I reget ever staying here for a month I rather have saved my money sleeping in my car rather than talk to Wanda the manger who refuse service always had the do not disturb unless emergency. You can just look at her and see she's made alot of bad decisions in her life and takes it out on the customers. She wouldnt pis on you even if you were on fire. The rates were cheap 550-600 a month but I rather pay an xtra 100 to stay at any other motel. Worse treatment ever ranks right up there with how I was treated in the marines, but w/o the POA. They have free internet but its aint fast nor is the connect good.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
San Jose, CA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2009

We booked this hotel for two nights for a family vacation because it was cheap. Like others, when we checked in, the clerk seemed surprised that we were staying for more than one night. To give the positives, the people who worked there seemed nice, and the motel is located right outside the marine base gate. There was a fridge and a microwave in the room which was nice. The rooms were old but seemed reasonably clean. Our problem was bugs. I removed the bedspread from the beds as I always do in motels since the bedspreads do not get washed often. When I pulled the spread off the bed against the front window wall, a smattering of dead bugs came with it, sprinkling all over the blanet underneath. Believe it or not, I still determined to give the place a chance - my husband disposed of the bugs and we went to dinner. When we returned to go to sleep, the same type of bugs were alive and flying all over the room. My husband gamely killed as many as he could before we went to bed. In the middle of the night, I woke up to the sound of a cricket chirping LOUDLY. I opened my eyes and one of the flying bugs was crawling across my pillow toward my face. My husband found the cricket in our room, in the bedspreads we had put aside in the closet area. Needless to say, we checked out early the next morning and spent the next night in a Motel 6 which seemed like the Ritz after this experience. To add insult to injury, the motel tried to charge us for the second night, which I had to fight through Priceline. Since Barstow is somewhat of a depressed town, I recommend staying at one of the big chain motels.

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Sacramento, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2009

the bathroom was old..... kind of clean (my husband say no, I say yes....) bedroom not too big but big enough to add a pack and play and still have room to go around... my only real problem was the smell.... feel like sleeping in a ashtray and it was a non-smoking room.... took a few days to get rid of the smell on our stuffs.
Our two years old thought that he was in heaven because you have a train track really close to the hotel...... so we had no problem to keep him entertaining when we were packing in the morning!!!
My husband felt like if he was sleeping in a train all night......
it was the cheapest place around and I didn't want to spend more than that to only sleep for a few hours .......

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
uk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2008

Small, cramped, dirty, middle of nowhere

Don't really want to go on as we didn't stay there in the end.

Took one look at the outside and felt that we should give it a try so looked in the room and it was just dire!

Couldn't stay there at all so drove up the road and booked in elsewhere which is what I suggest you do rather than book this first

• Liked — Nothing but then what did we expect for the price - our own fault really
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2007

I travel a lot on business, and since June my company started sending me to Barstow every 2 weeks for to 4 days at a time. For me the PennyWise Inn has been perfect. It's right next to the Marine Base, very clean, very friendly, and very affordable. Everything is included, the local calls, HBO, the microwave, the fridge. I even have used the guest laundry room for a couple of coins when needed. Now that it's getting colder I don't use the swimming pool anymore but I certainly enjoyed it very much during those hot Summer days.

Stayed June 2007

Been to Desert Palace Inn? Share your experiences!