“Like two great spots in one......” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
80 Thoreau is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 45 Restaurants in Concord
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Thoreau and Sudbury
Transit: Take the Commuter Rail to Concord on the Fitchburg Line. 80 Thoreau is located on the 2nd Floor of the Concord Depot.
Description: 80 Thoreau is a progressive fine dining restaurant set in the beautiful New England town of Concord, sourcing from local farms and offering genuine hospitality.
Wayland, Massachusetts
“Like two great spots in one......”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Having eaten at 80 Thoreau many times, and reviewed it previously, we're adding a review of its bar and bar menu. Pleased to report that this part of the restaurant is also wonderful. We dropped in on a whim last Saturday night.Tables in the main restaurant were booked, but the bar is first-come-first served, and we were able to be seated immediately. We started with the best Mojitos we've had in a long time. We decided to try the bar menu, since we had heard good things about it. My wife raved about the duck rillettes, and we also enjoyed the fried pickles (!). The entrée selection is limited (2) dishes (although full restaurant menu is also available), so selection was easy. We had a Thoreau Burger and also Grilled Bluefish. Both were excellent, and perfectly cooked. We finished with superb house-made ice cream (Mint Julep!) and sorbet (Cucumber!). The latter, especially, was remarkable, sort of a revelation, very clean and elegant, with multiple layers of flavor. Service was excellent: friendly, prompt, professional, and helpful. We thought that the noise level was ok, even when the bar mostly filled up. Overall, a really excellent dining experience; our only problem now will be deciding which part of the restaurant (and which menu) we prefer....

Columbus
“Incredibly good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

I recently had one of the best meals I think I've had in my entire life at 80 Thoreau. While there is no effort on the part of the restaurant to provide a unique, or elegant atmosphere for the meal, the service and food are some of the best that I've ever had. The appetizers and entrées are not highly priced, when compared to other restaurants of this quality. The only negative note that I can think of would be the cost of cocktails which seem to be somewhat exorbitant. Our meal capped a perfect day of having visited Old Orchard House Walden Pond. Anyone in the greater Boston area should consider at least one evening at 80Thoreau. It is well worth the drive.

Tampa, Florida
“Outstanding food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

I eat out constantly (too often, if truth be told), and this rates among the highest tier experience I have had. Everything we ordered was outstanding. Service was good, though kitchen a little slow on a busy night. Great wines by the class. Highly recommend the gnocchi appetizer!

boston
“A ray of sunshine in the suburbs”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Went here for our anniversary. We had a reservation for 6:45 on a Friday and my wife and I were looking forward to this all week. Friday afternoon I am stuck in traffic up in Gloucester when I get a call from my wife frantically telling me our dog is locked up at the Stow dog pound. My wife canceled our reservation because the animal control officer was on an emergency and couldn't let our whimpering dog out for another hour. Its a busy Friday night at 80 Thoreau so the next available is at 9PM. We're tired, hungry, no-can-do. Pretty much sums up life...and 21 years of marriage.

We get home and we're both in a lousy mood. There are no other special occasion restaurants near us worth going to. Thinking about toast and cheese for dinner, and vegging in front of the TV. Somehow we conjure up the strength to call 80 Thoreau to see if we can somehow make it still happen even if we have to sit and eat in the bar (which we actually enjoy.) I am determined to salvage the evening. They tell us there are a couple of tables free at the moment but after 7PM they can't guarantee they'll be available.

Now here is the key moment I fell in love with this restaurant (and my wife, all over again) - I never mentioned my name and we had no reservation at this point. When we got to 80 Thoreau they found two stools for us at a counter facing into the dining room - not seats facing the bartenders, not a table in the bar area. We skeptically sat by ourselves at this lonely counter. Then, as if the heavens were watching us, a waitress brought us two glasses of Champagne and wished us Happy Anniversary - an instant attitude adjuster and a truly serendipitous moment. Restaurants with service like this don't exist in the suburbs. Attention to detail and the clairvoyant sense to know your customers is something you only find at the truly fine restaurants in the city.

Then after swiftly taking our small bites and drink order, one of the maitre d's came over and quietly told us that two of the tables in the bar would soon be available and they would put us on the the waiting list for the table. 10 minutes later we were deftly transported to our cozy alcove table. All of our servers were confident, friendly, relaxed and easy to talk to. Each conversation with the many servers added to our enjoyment.

You can guess about the food and drink, excellent. Very seasonal soft shell crab, striped bass and lemon curd pie. Oh, and its true, Doris Kearns Goodwin is a regular here.

Visited June 2014
Rumson, New Jersey
“would go 80 times”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

This place is a hidden gem smack in the middle of concord mass.. the staff is top shelf. The menu is fantastic.. try the chicken you wont be dissapointed..the bartenders are world class mixologists.. ask to get a look a the "reserve wine list.. I'll be back soon..

• Visited March 2014