“Back in time, but not in a good way” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Far View Lodge

Save Saved
You added Far View Lodge to your Saves list
Far View Lodge
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Navajo Hill, Box 277, Mesa Verde National Park, CO 81330   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Bed & Breakfast Package
Breckenridge, Colorado
“Back in time, but not in a good way”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

OK, so the location is superb. The Far View is the only hotel inside Mesa Verde National Park. The archeological sites are quite a ride from the park entrance, so if your time is limited it makes sense to stay at this hotel. But having a monopoly produced the expected result. We stayed one night and I felt like I was in a time warp. Dated is too mild a word. The carpet was so stained I couldn't get over the impression it was dirty. The drapes were hanging off the rod. The bathroom, in contrast to the room description given when I booked, had only a tiny shower which was well worn. Ugh. Aramark has no self respect. That said, the restaurant and lounge (located, thankfully, in another, newer building) were surprisingly good. Mesa Verde is awesome. It's just a shame visitors are stuck with this hotel.

978 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Columbia, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Location is the primary driver for staying here. The other option is to drive a long way. We saw the mixed reviews before we booked, but had to give it a go because of the location. We stayed two nights and had a delightful time. The adult lounge and restaurant are fine. The food was decent and the beer was cold. We were in room 227 and sat on our little porch before dinner in the late afternoon. Very nice. The bed was comfortable and everything in the bath worked OK. We had no interest in talking on the phone, watching TV or doing WiFi - - it's a national park - - take the time to explore, meet new people, etc.
We had a good stay and I would recommend it for those that like an awesome view and great location.

Room Tip: We liked 227.
Medical Lake, Washington, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

You must stay at Far View Lodge if you plan to spend more than a few hours in Mesa Verde! We came for two nights in the Park not for the room. We read several negative reviews about rooms so decided on the upgraded Kiva room. The room was adequate and clean (except for behind the refrigerator) The wardrobe doors were hard to open and there were no hangers? The view was great and the beds were comfortable. Wi-Fi worked and we had cell service. The Far View Terrace has a better souvenir selection than at the check-in location.

Malvern,PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

First the good - if you are visiting the Park you need to stay here. The drive up to the Mesa is long and winding road. Sunrise and sunset so special from the top. Rooms were comfortable. Dinner was very good and everyone in our party of 10 enjoyed their meal. They had a full house for dinner on a Sunday night and Emilee, the hostess, was MOST helpful in getting us in. Our waiter, Jeremiah, was also great.
My negative has to do with the phone reservation person who gave us TOTALLY wrong information. A year ago I called and requested 5 rooms close to each other as one is a handicapped accessible room and we need the help of our friends. Could we be close by? She said YES - WRONG!!! She also said their were rooms in the main lodge where dinner is served - WRONG!!!! There are NO rooms there. Our friends all had K bedrooms, and NONE of them are in the cluster that has the handicapped room. In fact we were spread throughout the many clusters. MAJOR training needed here. The onsite front desk team was very apologetic about the misinformation we got. But nothing they could do to rectify to honor our request to be close together as just not possible.

San Antonio, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Sorry this rant is so long, but our experience here was bad. The lodge is in a wonderful location and actually looks nice on the outside, even our room inside looked nice. Just a short walk from the rooms is a nice restaurant, lounge and shop in the building where the office is. It is a shame Aramark is not doing much at all to maintain the facilities. The night we were there the place was completely booked and I am sure this is probably normal, so they are bound to be making enough money to properly maintain it. I guess they figure people are going to stay there no matter what for the convenience, so that is what you are paying for.

Our room was wheel chair accessible, (which we did not ask for). had a queen bed, tile and wood floors, looked like fresh paint on the walls, a wonderful porch, and was clean, but that is the only good thing I can say about the room. We were never there during the day and the night temperature was nice enough we did not have to worry about A/C, but I am pretty sure there was a thermostat for temperature control and I did see a floor board unit.

When we checked in around 4:30, we were given keys to our room. We did not go directly to the room as we wanted to view more of the park first. We did that and then ate at the café a short distance from the lodge, so we did not get back to our room until close to 8:00. When we got to the room, the keys we were given would not open the room, so we had to go back to the office to get new keys. Thank goodness they worked when we got back to the room, but we had to push very hard to open the door and push it harder to close it. As we had to go in and out of the room several times before we ever got to bed, I was afraid we were waking up all the neighbors every time we opened and closed the door. Especially when we were having to slam it to get it to close. Someone in a wheel chair would have had serious problems getting that door opened and closed. We reported this on our second visit and the excuse was all the rain they had must have caused settling that messed it up.

When we checked in they said we would have free WIFI in the room, so when it was not working, I picked up the phone to call and ask about it, but the phone did not work. So, I had to make a second trip to the office to ask about that and to report the phone not working. I was given the excuse that animals get under the building and pull at the phone wires, so that is why the phone was not working and they only had people come fix the phones every once in a while. I did not bother to look around the foundation of the building the next morning to see how accessible it was to little critters. If it is accessible I would think they could certainly after all these years figure out a way to block them. I am not real clear on what the excuse was for the WIFI not working, but I did point out to them that both the phone and WIFI plugged into the same outlet so it stood to reason if the critters pulled the wires, both would be out. The next day we found out because of the heavy rains in Colorado a lot of people across the state did not have working WIFI. If we had been told that when we checked in, they could have saved us an unnecessary trip to the office and avoided me getting upset with their lame excuses. I'm an adult and I can handle the truth. I saw another review mentioning a nonworking telephone, so this problem is not unusual; however, it is inexcusable to have a nonworking phone in a handicap accessible room. If there were a true emergency, and because not everyone's cell phone is going to work up there, a person in a crisis situation would not be able to get any help. I guess Aramark figures someone in crisis can just speak up loudly enough so the next door neighbors will hear them and come to their aid.

Once I got back from my second trip to the office, I decided to go get some ice from the machine. I used the map provided on the little pouch they gave the keys in. I followed the map and the ice machine was not where the map showed it was supposed to be. At this point I thought I was going to have to make a third trip to the office, so my temper was really getting ready to flare. I got lucky and saw some other flashlights walking around, so I hollered at them to ask if they knew where the ice machine was. Turns out it was at the building next door to where the map showed. I could tell other people had gone to the place I went to, as the little building has a stone in front of the door to hold it closed, probably from all the people that tried to force it open to get to the ice. This little building was full of linens and towels, no ice.

Ok, I get back to the room and think I can finally relax and take a shower. Instead, another bad experience. The wheel chair accessible bathroom and shower were large, but the light in the ceiling of the shower did not work. If it were not for the heat lamp that did work, the bathroom would have been too dark to take a shower in, as the one little overhead light in the center of the room was too small to reach all corners. In this shower, the shower head was so high, I decided I would just use the hand held shower handle. Well, guess what, it did not work either. I just shudder thinking about a person in a wheel chair having to go through all these hassles to take a shower. Again, inexcusable poor maintenance on behalf of Aramark.

Finally, relaxed and clean, I decide to go to bed. Well, I did not have to wait until I fell asleep for the nightmares to begin. That bed was the hardest, most uncomfortable bed I think I have ever slept in. I laid on my back and could feel the springs pushing into my back. I have bursitis in my hip, so it was pretty much impossible to sleep on my left side. When I tried to sleep on my right side, I just sank towards the middle of the bed. It took me forever to get to sleep, and unfortunately, we stayed here for two nights, so I had to go through this torture for two nights. In the morning when I took a close look at the mattress, I could see there was less than 1/4 of an inch of padding between the springs and my body. In fact, there was not padding, only the mattress fabric covered the springs.

On my second visit earlier in the night about the phone not working in the room, the people in the office did tell me they would put us in another room the next day, but with visiting the park all day that was not convenient for us. I guess we made a mistake not going to our room right away; however, other than finding out the keys did not work, we would not have figured out all the other problems with the room. Needless to say, by the time we went to get keys that worked, they were completely booked and could not put us in another room. If they were putting people in handicap accessible rooms at 4:30 and check in is at 3:00, I can only guess that they will let people check in early. I also wonder if they were going to put us in a different room as they had a set of keys ready for us when we got there, but perhaps gave that room to someone else; therefore, the keys we got did not work. We made our reservations and paid for one of the two nights two months before our arrival.

When we checked out and the young lady asked us how our stay was I suggested she get a notepad out and make a list of all the problems with the room that I was going to give her. She did indeed make a list of all these problems, but who knows what ever happened to it.

After our stay there, Aramark did send an email with a request for us to fill in their survey about our stay. I filled out the survey and again mentioned all these problems, but again, who knows what or if anything has been done. We just do not think Aramark cares about this property.
The room number was 158, so you will want to ask lots of questions before getting stuck in that room.

Room Tip: If you get room 158, ask if the maintenance issues have been taken care of. Otherwise, get another r...

Travelers are raving about these Mesa Verde National Park hotels

Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

When you first enter the park and stop at the Visitors Center, you then have a 15 mile drive to the hotel and another 5 to Cliff Palace and the Balcony House. So staying at Far View allows you to enjoy that second morning (or day) seeing/doing other things in the park. The hotel itself is quite nice. There is no TV, but you get a small deck, comfortable beds, good heat if needed, and decent shower/sink. It's basic, but quite comfortable. The dining is very nice, and the nearby café is great for breakfast, all with great views. Keep in mind, the elevation is 7000 feet or more, and you may find yourself a bit short of breath or headachy, but it's worth it! Mesa Verde is amazing and staying here is a great choice.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Visited a day before the closing of park, what a shame....lucky anyone visiting ....beautiful, great views and so much more to say, just go and you will know ! Fill up your tank before going up! Being in the park you must eat at their restaurant and excellent it is !

Room Tip: Every room has a balcony and a view !
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Far View Lodge? Share your experiences!