“wonderful place to eat” 5 of 5 stars

Description: Genuine Italian food prepared by the Italian owner and chef
London, United Kingdom
“wonderful place to eat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I would just like to say a huge thank you after having a wonderful night at Dante after our 4th visit we were joined by a group of friends who like us had a great evening, the food is all freshley prepaired and the service is great. I would also like to add that we visited on a Jazz evening on the previous Friday which was also great Value for money if you take the Jazz Menu, the sax player was very good and very happy to take requests of your choice overall a great place to eat and would continue to recommend Dante to anyone visiting the area thanks again to the owner and his partner for making us feel so valued
Andy

• Visited September 2012

Perth, Scotland
“A great night”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We always visit this restaurant when we come to Almunecar as we enjoy the experience and last Friday was no exception. The four of us all had a different dish and there was agreement all round that the food was very good. There was a jazz player providing music and we had a great time. We found the owner attentive and friendly as usual and the staff couldn't do enough for us. This is a bit of a gem and really needs to be better frequented.

• Visited September 2012
Bexley, United Kingdom
“Very impressed with the high quality menu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We visited Dante on our last night in Almunecar on a recommendation and were very pleased we did. The food was excellent, freshly prepared and very well presented. The staff were very friendly and helpfully explained the extensive menu. The restaurant was very clean, modern and well appointed with a relaxed and comfortable atmosphere. When we return to Almunecar we will definately visit Dante again.

• Visited August 2012
Barcelona, Spain
“Average At Best”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

To give credit where it's due, this place has a good pizza oven & their pizzas are quite good. But who comes to Spain to eat pizza? I think you booked the wrong flight!

That said, if you are spending any considerable length of time in the South of Spain, the 19 out of every 20 restaurants with the same deep fried menu may drive you to extreme lengths of seeking solace in another style of cuisine...it's slim pickings, Italian or Chinese, neither of which seem to excel in their game in this town.

Given that the owner is Italian, one expects a little more. But clearly he has spent too long here in Spain or has fallen under the influence of his Spanish girlfriend's (the waitress) peasant tastes (round these parts, the locals are either super flush or super not). You notice the element of cheapness. I would rather he offered less dishes & spent a little bit of time on quality vs quantity of choice on the menu. When you have to stock so many ingredients, you start to take shortcuts.

His Italian food is average at best & doesn't really deliver on a price/quality ratio unless you are unfamiliar with the exotic ravioli/tortellini you can now pick up from most supermarkets, i.e. pear & walnut & ricotta...why would you play €8 to eat it in a restaurant when you could pick it up for €2-ish at the supermarket?! His menu of the day frequently features Spanish dishes, or a Spanish style of preparation. No. Please! That's what I was trying to escape.

One has to wonder at what type of meglomaniac commissions a portrait of himself to hang in his restaurant...be sure to check it out for a bit of light entertainment...he looks like a cross between Berlusconi & Putin. His seemingly approachful/engaging personality masks a more complex nature...if you understand Spanish, he is often rude if he is in a bad mood (tendency to fall out on the wrong side of the bed) to his staff or about the customer in full earshot. Which for me is rule number 1 not to break.

I write this review having tried many times to enjoy what was on offer here as I live very near. But in the end, after begging me to bring him more customers (the place is almost always empty outside of summer when the Scandinavian tourists in the neighbouring vacation blocks descend on it with a vengeance) he was so rude to some people I brought to him as new clients that I have only been back once to comment that I didn't think it was appropriate that he proceeded to complain about the fact that we had arrived very late, audibly from the kitchen.

We arrived at 11pm, the opening hours are until 11.30pm - big deal! Beggars can't be choosers, but this guy thinks he can choose...he proceeded to barrel me out about turning up so late and bringing undesirable clents (local gossip via the Spanish girlfriend) - I was not aware that there was a screening process one had to pass to dine in his establishment! I can't imagine he queries the English about their backgrounds, and lord knows there are many dubious Englishmen to be found in the Costa Del Crime (as the Costa del Sol & Costa Tropical are referred to as). This I hope paints a better picture of the kind of man he is than the one he commissioned of himself which hangs in the restaurant.

On that note, sometimes I wonder whether he himself is money laundering for the Mob, as I don't know how he stays open with 1 or 2 clients a day outside of 'la temporada'. Porque no?!

• Visited August 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Dublin
“A welcome change from local mediocre fare”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

We have visited Dante on a number of occasions and it's food stands out in an area where the Spanish restaurants sit on their laurels. The proprietor of this establishment certainly seems to try harder. It is proper Italian food cooked by an italian. Great dishes include fresh pasta with clams, mussels and fresh local fish. The pizza is the best the Spanish side of Napoli. You are nearly always presented by an amuse bouche or a little tidbit of something tasty prior to ordering. Even though the food might take longer than normal to arrive it is clear that any delay occurs as each dish is prepared by the Proprietor to order. He can often been seen rolling out the pizza in full view of the diners, which my children polish off rapidly, sometimes ordering two on the trot.
This is a good quality restaurant where you can witness the food being lovingly prepared. Its nice to get some good alternative to fare that is not prepared with great care. Go and enjoy.

• Visited June 2012