“A hidden gem” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Lanjaron
English Lake District
“A hidden gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2009

Can't believe this fabulous hotel is only rated 3 star - should be at least 4 star. Everything about it is just perfect for a totally relaxing break. Tucked away in a corner off the main street the unassuming exterior doesn't prepare you for what it's like inside and especially the outdoor areas. Lovely pool, good food, friendly staff and comfortable, clean accommodation. Welcome bottle of wine in our room on arrival. Great base for exploring the Sierra Nevada mountains and the coastal region - hire car recommended.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Polish first
Belfast
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2009

My partner and I stayed here 2 years ago and quite enjoyed our stay. However, when trying to check out, the receptionist decided to have her morning coffee and the laundry staff were left to tell people to wait ´5 minutos´ til the receptionist returned from her breakfast. This extended to 15 minutes whereby we had to insist we had a plane to catch to make her return to let us check out.
Believe it or not, the exact thing happened again yesterday - 2 years later with the same inconsiderate morning receptionist (who we have just found out is also the OWNER) whose coffee is obviously more important than her guests´ own time.
We booked an economy room this time, and boy was it economy! The TV didn´t work (although they came and replaced it) and when having a shower, the whole bathroom floor flooded. There was discarded toilet roll behind the bidet and the air conditioning was simply a large wall contraption to blow air around the room.
At dinner that evening, we had to stop someone to ask to be shown to our reserved table, where we were left sitting for 10 minutes without being approached while other guests around us were being served. To be fair, I complained and suddenly they became more than helpful, but it was embarrassing since everyone looked around when the very helpful young English speaker came to translate.
When we went to check out the next morning, the receptionist who works the morning shift (NOT the very capable and helpful afternoon receptionist) glanced at us approaching the reception and disappeared through a door. After waiting for about a minute, a member of the laundry staff approached and told us in Spanish to wait for cinco minutos until the receptionist returned. We waited, and waited, and waited and after 15 minutos we couldn´t believe that what happened to us 2 years ago was repeating itself. Yes, the receptionist had disappeared to have her morning coffee at checkout time, leaving guests to wait at her mercy. I then asked the member of laundry staff if I could leave my 15 euros (for my breakfast) and key card at the reception and go, but she said I couldn´t. I then asked in Spanish why the receptionist wasn´t there, and she said she had gone ´tomar un cafe´ (to have a coffee). 20 minutes later my partner and I had had enough, and left our 15 euros and key discreetly at the inside corner of the reception desk and left as the laundry lady watched us.
I returned later that evening to make sure they had received our money and that everything was in order, only to find out that the morning receptionist had ´not received our money´ and accused us by phone of not leaving the money in the first place and tried to invoice us for another 15 euros!
I can´t believe that a hotel owner would abandon her front desk and responsibilities and assume that her own time is more important than her guests´ at checkout time. Furthermore, she leaves her laundry staff to cover for her while they are trying to do their own jobs.
As this is the second time this has happened to us, I would highly recommend that you go somewhere else!
I am angry that I was left waiting so long by her to let us check out of her hotel, only when she feels ready to let you go. I am also quite angry that I have been accused of not paying my way, even though I had returned to make sure everything was in order. How this arrogant attitude expects to produce profit in these times of recession is beyond me. Surely having morning coffee at your desk and allowing your guests to checkout at the same time is more logical? It´s not rocket science and it leaves your guests wanting to return, unlike us who after 2 attempts to like this hotel, will never return or recommend this to anybody.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Malaga
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2009

Have just returned from one night in the Hotel Alcadima and wish we had booked for longer. Excellent value hotel in a perfect position just two minutes from the main street. Free parking available outside , also hotel offers private parking if required. Beautiful gardens and swimming pool - we were in a new part of the building and our room was excellent. Free WiFi - and also tea & coffee making facilities in the room. Excellent good value restaurant in the gardens. Complaints - the very attractive outdoor restaurant is in the garden and the noise from the pool was a little intrusive , even though the pool is meant to close at 8.00pm ! Also the air conditioning in the rooms doesn't continue all through the night , which makes it very hot to sleep in July & August ! All in all I would definately recommend Lanjaron and the Hotel Alcadima.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

On arriving at the Alcadima we were slightly worried by the small enterance but as soon as walking into the reception we were delighted by the feel of this jewel of a hotel. The staff were very courteous and helpful without being overbearing. The food was varied and delicious. Our room was very comfortable and cleaned every day with fresh towels and had a fridge for the all importantant water bottles. The pool area and gardens were stunning and well cared for. The views were lovely from every part of the hotel which, trust me, there are very many places to look from. Walking in the summer is hard as it's so hot so we spent more time than anticipated at the pool. All in all this is a superb, relaxing hotel with high standards. I would recommend the Alcadima to anyone who asked.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
birmingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2009

what a place to find after a 2+ hour transfer from Malaga.
The night porter escorted me to my room
Along with the advertised wine, they had plated me a lovely salad
The room was well laid out and the air conditioning modern and functioning.
I awoke in the morning to see a very beautiful and well laid out hotel and grounds with delightful courtyards and well tended flower beds; there was a complete air of calm and tranquillity about the place. The owner and his family are complete hands on and really do care about their clientele. This was proved on the Tuesday when I was out walking and twisted my ankle. In broken Spanish, I managed to call the hotel who called me back and they sent out someone to pick me up. They then continued to check I was ok on my return and when in the evening my ankle had swollen quite badly, rallied around for anti inflammatory to ease my suffering. The next morning they even took me up to the doctors and stayed with me and helped in the translation. In effect they really did take care of me. It was then a pleasant surprise to find a bottle of Cava in the room on my last evening, a gesture I think from them as I had been ‘hotel bound’ for the whole of my stay.
Let me please just mention the food. It was stunning. From the well presented and varied buffet breakfast to the presentation and flavour of the lunch/evening meals and the well trained staff, I could not have wished for better from a 5 star hotel. This hotel is a complete gem.

I will not hesitate to stay here again and will recommend the Alcadema to anyone who will listen

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2009

Lanjaron - Hotel Alcadima 1/6/2009
HOTEL- Fantastic oldy worldy comfy gem overlooking the Sierra Nevada Mountains, incredible views, beautiful flowery courtyards surrounding great outdoor pool [has indoor pool but did not use ] bring own towels for sunbeds or buy one at reception for 5 Eu.
Library, reading room, internet, tennis court, childrens pool & play area slide etc, soft sunbeds/deckchairs/umbrellas.
ROOM - Cupboards & drawer space plentiful, hairdryer safe,, tea/coffee facilities, TV - BBC fuzzy picture but great for getting news from home. Comfy bed, sofa, balcony with table/chairs overlooking pool. Shower over hip bath, clean towels daily.
FOOD - Wonderful, we were half board, breakfast - cereals, fresh melon/pineapple/kiwifruit, tinned peaches,fruit cocktail. Fruit juices, lovely coffee,fresh bread rolls,pates, jams,honey, cakes etc. Scrambled egg,chipolata sausage, beans,tomatoes, mushrooms,bacon. Cheeses & ham. - Dinner - Great choices & delicious. Restaurant available for lunches & snacks.
WATER - Can boil Hotel tap water for drinks but not advisable to drink, this is a Spa town and there are many drinkable tap areas to top up water bottles around town, POTABLE sign means OK.
STAFF - Very freindly & helpful, mainly Spanish speaking but with enough English to get us by.
LOCAL AMENITIES - A main street with usual shops selling pottery, shoes, clothes etc. Check out the SPAR shop which sells everything we had forgotten to bring plus great wines etc.
Wander through the backstreets partic near the church square & view the cannon gun, take the walk through the forest to the old castle and experience the waterfalls & views, Info in folder in room or at reception. This felt like a very safe enclosed family freindly environment with cafes & restaurants aplenty for its size.
I would def rcommend it for Families, Honeymooners and all who love walking & scenery. For further info contact me, Holl.

Teesside, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2009

We have recently returned from a walking holiday with Page & Moy based in the Alcadima hotel. The holiday was wonderful, the hotel was perfectly situated and the staff friendly, efficient and helpful. However the hotel is let down by the standard of the rooms which if they are all like ours need urgent refurbishment.

• Stayed May 2009

Been to Alcadima Hotel? Share your experiences!