“The hip factor didn't impress me!” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #48 of 188 Hotels in Atlanta
Gahanna, OH
“The hip factor didn't impress me!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

I have mixed feeling about the W Atlanta Buckhead. Positive is that is was very clean and I felt safe there. The outdoor pool was really nice too. On the negative, I was not enamored by the urban chic decor; I found it distracting. There was no free internet, and no free business center. Several lightbulbs were out in my room, and one morning there was no hot water. I also didn't like the design of the stand alone shower; you couldn't reach in to adjust the temperature of the water without standing directly in the stream of the shower. The air conditioner was loud. Lots of young adults were running up and down the hallways well into the night talking and making a lot of noise. I didn't see any vending machines for soda, nor did I see a small gift shop to purchase snacks or drinks. There was a bar in the lobby, and it appeared as if they were serving coffee, etc in the morning, though I did not see if they served any type of food.

Staff didn't seem overly concerned, nor were they apologetic when I reported the lack of hot water.

I was scheduled to stay for 3 days, but checked out after the first night and stayed elsewhere, due to the lack of hot water. I didn't even want to stay to see if it would be fixed. This place just wasn't my style.

Stayed May 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2010

My stay was delightful and I would go out of my way to stay again. The staff was great and went out of their way to be helpful! The facilities were first class yet whimsical. Ambiance of rooms and public areas was interesting and fun - not cookie-cutter as one finds in most big hotel chains. Extremely clean. PT

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Philadelphia, PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2010

I was looking forward to staying at the W because it was billed as a "New" hotel and an upscale brand in the Starwood chain. I knew this was not the hotel for us as soon as I pulled up. The customer drop off area is too small. The lobby is artsy but not very grand. I soon realized that this was not really a new hotel but a poor facelift of the last hotel at this location. Our room was a liitle small but adequate. There were no bureaus for clothes. The air conditioning unit rattled whenever the fan ran. The electircal outlet in the bathroom didn't work. The light in the vanity mirror didn't work. There was no trash can in the bathroom when we arrived. Some days there was a bathroom rug and some days there wasn't. But the worst part was waking up to no hot water and having to take a coled shower. The hot water boiler was broken and took a day to fix.

Aside from these problems, which are inexcusable for a 4 star deluxe hotel, the W does not have a restaurant or gift shop, or similar ammenities you'd expect. There is a rooftop club but it's really a club and not a restuarant. There is a "grab and go" breakfast counter where you can buy basic coffees, teas, breads and fruit for breakfast. We've stayed in a number of hotels in Buckehead and this was by far the worst. Honestly, we would have been better off at a well maintainted 3 star hotel than the W; and the number of problems we had would be inexcusable in a 3 Star.

Birmingham, AL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2010

OMG! This hotel was in a great location, but not worth the money. The hotel itself was very nice but the ammenities were poor. Had to pay for wi-fi, $30 for valet. Stayed at just as nice places were all this was free to its guest. You would think as much they are charging that all this would be included.The King bed room we had was very small! I expected so much more! And upon returning home and checked my account and was charged additional charges that could not be explained. Someone from their finance department still hasnt called me back. Ive been to nicer hotels for cheaper with better ammenities. Will not be staying there again!! I guess it was all about location!

New York City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2010

I’m brand loyal and prefer to stay at W Hotels when I travel for business but my experience at the W Buckhead in Atlanta April 18-22 left me a bit disappointed. I normally stay at the W Midtown when I travel to Atlanta but decided to stay closer to my company’s Atlanta digs! I’ll never do that again.

Be warned that there is mandatory valet for an exorbitant fee. Upon check-in, I was told that there was another person in the hotel who had the same last name as I did and it took three staffers to figure out that I wasn’t the person who had already checked in before I received my room key.

The rooms are small but nicely decorated. My parents came to visit me and were really impressed by its boutique feel but in my opinion, the small bathroom was a deal breaker. The roof-top bar and pool are nice amenities along with the workout room, which I used frequently. I enjoyed the hotels room service (breakfast), and the cocktails at the bar downstairs.

The staff wasn’t warm but cordial. One of the bartenders seemed annoyed that I wanted a second mojito one evening at the bar. Also, one afternoon I proceeded to the elevator bank to find out that the elevators were out-of-service and that all guests in the hotel had to use the stairs. In addition, once the elevators were fixed, there were still issues with the card reader in the elevator.

Overall, this property isn’t horrible, but I would recommend the W Perimeter, W Downtown or W Midtown in Atlanta before the Buckhead location.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Kuala Lumpur
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2010

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights.

We both thought the décor was trendy and chic and well presented in both the public areas and our room. While the staff were all very pleasant and accommodating, we found the actual execution inadequate.

We requested to see the concierge and NEVER saw the person at the desk the ENTIRE time we were there. We were told that the person had “stepped away for a minute”. On the last day when we commented to the front desk personnel, we were told that they were in fact without a concierge which happens but tell us from the outset so wouldn"t be looking out for him/her!

Upon checking in we found that the TV was malfunctioning and was told that it would be fixed or our room changed while we were out for the afternoon. This was not done until we complained again. And then we had to change rooms.

In the new room, we found the in-room safe unlockable and so called for it to be fixed. A service personnel came to inspect it and said that it required the engineer who would be along to fix it shortly. It was never fixed our entire stay and no one bothered to let us know either way.

But the worst thing was the air-con blower. The setting is either at AUTO or FAN (which was high). At AUTO the fan would either be bellowing with a loud hum or completely off; if the FAN option was chosen, the air would be blowing at high speed with a constant loud hum. Death or the deep blue sea.

We had dinner at the restaurant which was good. The bar/club at the rooftop was fun & buzzy the 2 times we went.

Much as we liked the décor and the easy relaxed atmosphere, at the end of the day, we’d rather the room and its amenities worked – quietly and efficiently.

San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2010

First, the whatever-whenever philosophy which we got a whole lecture on when we checked in made me laugh... 1st night, went to the bar upstairs, asked for a ginger mojito (on the menu), but they were out of it. 2nd day went to the pool and asked for a ginger mojito, but they don't serve it there. Asked for a regular mojito, which they have, but was informed it's just a mix (wasn't recommended) and offered a margarita "made fresh." Agreed, asked for salt- sorry, don't have salt. Get the $14 margarita, which is basically a glass of sweet and sour mix... just made me what to laugh every time and by the end I actually said to them "so much for whatever-whenever." As for the hotel, overall it is beautifully furnished and staff was mostly friendly. The bed was comfy, nice TV in room, however, the ultra hip bathroom is not for the shy- there's basically no privacy, so you have to have a VERY open relationship with the person you're sharing the room with. The sliding glass door to close off the toilet and shower did not slide well, so even that small bit of privacy was difficult to get. Pool was OK although small with limited seating. Cabana (there's only 1) I think would be nice for groups if you can get it. The bar upstairs has a nice patio, food is alright but limited. Didn't eat at the restaurant. Overall food and drinks are quite overpriced, esp room service. Listed as $20 for a pastry plate/coffee/juice. somehow was over $30 plus tip on arrival to the room. so paid about $40 for a couple of croissants, coffee/tea and juice. Can't say much for the location, we were only there 2 days... it's right next to the mall, seems to be several restaurants within walking distance and they have an acura shuttle service that will take you places within 2mi I think. Oh, and apparently they are dog friendly, we saw several, and one guy said they have dog care services as well. I think it's a nice looking hotel, but unless you get a stellar deal, wouldn't really recommend...

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to W Atlanta - Buckhead? Share your experiences!